Indiana Sportsman Forum banner

Poor mans layout blind

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  alclark2 
#1 ·
I shot my first goose last week. Let's just say I've been scrambling to get some poor mans goose hunting gear assembled since.

I went to basspro.com to look at layout blind dimensions. Since I'm not a big guy, I went on the small end and wrote down some numbers. I went to my garage and looked through my scrap lumber. A few hours after shooting that goose I had the following assembled.

I had to get a few boards and fabric tacks to continue. After a trip to Lowes, I came back and finished the frame. I found some camo I had laying around and wrapped the frame.

I painted some chicken wire and stapled it to various parts of the blind. Then, I zip tied corn from my garden to the blind.

It probably weighs in about 40 pounds + and doesn't fold up. I plan to hunt less than 1-2 miles from home. I'll drive out to unload blind, decoys, gear etc. I definitely won't be transporting this by foot. It should work for what it's intended.

Hoosier Hunt-n-Fish Decals LLC

See less See more
#6 ·
That's awesome alclark2. I am in process of making one too. I cant find one that has everything that I like, plus I am cheap and an engineer with access to design software. I started with extruded aluminum rod but decided to go with PVC for ease of use. I can share it with you when its done if you want.

#7 ·
Thanks! I was just being cheap in building this. I did a lot of ******* engineering with my miter saw. You can probably see how I tried to angle some of the boards. I didn't need a large blind either. I don't know much about these blinds. I can see how the layout blinds offered by the major retailers don't really have what many hunters are looking for. I'd be interested in checking out your design also.

Hoosier Hunt-n-Fish Decals LLC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.