Indiana Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking for a few tips/pointers or successful stories. I am a avid bow hunter coming from Maine, I have my eyes set on Indiana because of the great stories I have heard of and the big deer I have seen come from there. I was looking at either hunting in and around Peru, Indiana, or the southern part in the Morgan Monroe area. I am still up in the air on which place has better success/good buck ratio. Any help would be appreciated. I am not looking for any hand outs. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
793 Posts
I don’t think Indiana knows how bad it was.
My personal property for instance I had 13 racked deer going on through the summer, around mid July I noticed one missing then another and by the time October 1st rolls around I have 3 left and they were not shooters.
Neighbors tell me the same thing not to mention I found 4 of my biggest shooters dead on my place.
All I had to do was watch for the vultures. May other property which is an hour fifteen minutes away same thing, come September to October you could pretty much watch the deer numbers drop.
buddies telling me the same.
I’m not happy nor at the moment excited about deer hunting this year coming up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was just looking for a few tips/pointers or successful stories. I am a avid bow hunter coming from Maine, I have my eyes set on Indiana because of the great stories I have heard of and the big deer I have seen come from there. I was looking at either hunting in and around Peru, Indiana, or the southern part in the Morgan Monroe area. I am still up in the air on which place has better success/good buck ratio. Any help would be appreciated. I am not looking for any hand outs. Thanks in advance!
Are you planning on hunting private property or public land?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats crazy, I heard it hit pretty bad but not that bad! In Maine we always have tough winters which take a hit on the deer but thats every year. It would be great to land private property permission but the way leases go out there and it being hard to find someone that lets you hunt their private property, I will probably end up going public land.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I live in Bloomington which is close to Morgan Monroe. We didn’t seem to get hit to hard with ehd. The property I hunt had several bucks this year and some really nice ones. I used to hunt Morgan Monroe several years ago and have seen some decent bucks on it. I killed my personal best bow buck in Yellowood State Forest 3 years ago. Both get hunted pretty hard. Let me know and I can try to send you in the right direction. What part of Maine are you from? My daughter lives in Biddeford.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome, yeah I am still up in the air on how to get going in the right direction. Of course getting boots on the ground is the best form of scouting which is hard to do when you live states away. I hope to be able to link up with one this coming fall. I actually live in Bangor, about 2 hours north of Biddeford, its a small world! I sent you a PM aswell and thank you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts