Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone here fill me in on some state land that I could hunt? I live in Elkhart and don't have any property of my own, so I have been sitting here just wishing I was in the woods. Any information would be greatly appreciated. All I want is to be able to get in the woods this year.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Tri County Fish and Wildlife Refuge Wide variety of game
Lasalle fish and Wildlife, do not know much about it

Those are probably your two closest

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Kingsbury Go to area 5 or behind the check station. Plenty of deer to go around. May not get a nice buck, but you will see plenty of does.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Lots of public land over in Mongo, about a half hour away from you to the east/southeast. Right now it shouldnt be too crowded come Nov. 12 it will be packed I am sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I live on the South side of elkhart. so I would choose a 50 mile drive to Mongo or a 40 mile drive to Menominee wetland conservation area (plymouth) Tri county is closer but way too many hunters. Mongo is huge. I try to get as far away from the parking areas as I can. Keeps the risk of getting shot by a lazy drunk hunter to a minimum. Menominee has some of the thickest knarley terain to walk through. Mostly swamp areas. There is no sign in though.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
i would go to Mongo. I have been over there hunting rabbits for the last 2 sundays, not many rabbits. But everywhere you look there is deer sign.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Kingsbury is a good place to hunt. I've seen a lot of deer out there and the doves are great early in the season. THere's also a big marsh that's good for waterfowl there. YOu could also try Kankakee. I've never hunted there, but I've heard it's great for waterfowl.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts