close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

puffballs

Discussion in 'Mushroom Hunting' started by smitty, Sep 16, 2005.

1. does anybody else here eat giant puffball mushrooms? by my way of thinking, they are very fine eating. found one about this time last year, dove hunting. it was the first time to eat one, for my wife, and she loved it. :corkysm55

2. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

I thought all mushrooms were all gone or all dried up by this time of the year...shows how much I know...

3. You'll know a puffball when you see it-- white, round and usually about the size of a volleyball; without the stripes.

4. never have ate one myself, i dont get out in the woods during the fall...but i like kicking them in the spring!!!!!:biggrin:

5. I thought that was a term that ment you'd sat in your tree stand just a little too long.

6. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

That's a good one:tongue:

7. Hey Smitty, when is the end of the puffball mushroom season, do you know?

8. If we get a rain there should still be some around, The shaggy manes are up now- pick them really fresh and cook them right away. egg wash and cracker crumbs fried in butter or oil.:corkysm55 Don't drink any alcohol. They have the same chemical in them they give to alcoholics - antabuse. Makes them violently ill when they drink but fine if they don't:cheeky-sm

Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  9. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

I'm trying to figure out how you can eat anything without drinking alcohol?

p.s. How's school?:bonk:

10. School has started out pretty well- We have three good principals this year who seem to take care of business.
    :)

11. dont tell my wife about the chemicals in the puffballs....she will put me on a strict puffball diet:shhh:

12. Not in the puffballs in the shaggy manes

13. must have been drunk when i read that stuff...she will put me on a shaggy mane diet then!!!!!

14. [​IMG]Great site!!!!

SHAGGY MANE (Coprinus comatus)

Description: The shaggy mane or lawyer's wig is so large and distinctive that with a little practice you can identify it from a moving car.

The cap of a fresh specimen is a long, white cylinder with shaggy, upturned, brownish scales. The gills are whitish, and the entire mushroom is fragile and crumbles easily. Most important, as the shaggy mane matures, the cap and gills gradually dissolve into a black, inky fluid, leaving only the standing stalk. Size 4" to 6" tall, sometimes larger.

When and Where: Spring, summer and fall, growing in grass, soil or wood chips. Often seen scattered in lawns and pastures.

Cautions: Shaggy manes are best when picked before the caps begin to turn black. However, until you become familiar with these mushrooms, check for the developing ink to be sure of your identification. (note: The shaggy mane is the largest of a group of edible mushrooms called inky caps. The field guides listed at the end of this article can help you identify other members of this group.)

Cooking Hints: Saute butter and season with nutmeg or garlic. Good in scrambled eggs or chicken dishes. Shaggy manes are delicate and should be picked young and eaten the same day.