Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody else here eat giant puffball mushrooms? by my way of thinking, they are very fine eating. found one about this time last year, dove hunting. it was the first time to eat one, for my wife, and she loved it. :corkysm55

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You'll know a puffball when you see it-- white, round and usually about the size of a volleyball; without the stripes.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
never have ate one myself, i dont get out in the woods during the fall...but i like kicking them in the spring!!!!!:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
If we get a rain there should still be some around, The shaggy manes are up now- pick them really fresh and cook them right away. egg wash and cracker crumbs fried in butter or oil.:corkysm55 Don't drink any alcohol. They have the same chemical in them they give to alcoholics - antabuse. Makes them violently ill when they drink but fine if they don't:cheeky-sm

·
Super Moderator
3,708 Posts
goggleye57 said:
If we get a rain there should still be some around, The shaggy manes are up now- pick them really fresh and cook them right away. egg wash and cracker crumbs fried in butter or oil.:corkysm55 Don't drink any alcohol. They have the same chemical in them they give to alcoholics - antabuse. Makes them violently ill when they drink but fine if they don't:cheeky-sm
I'm trying to figure out how you can eat anything without drinking alcohol?

p.s. How's school?:bonk:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
dont tell my wife about the chemicals in the puffballs....she will put me on a strict puffball diet:shhh:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
must have been drunk when i read that stuff...she will put me on a shaggy mane diet then!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
Great site!!!!

SHAGGY MANE (Coprinus comatus)

Description: The shaggy mane or lawyer's wig is so large and distinctive that with a little practice you can identify it from a moving car.

The cap of a fresh specimen is a long, white cylinder with shaggy, upturned, brownish scales. The gills are whitish, and the entire mushroom is fragile and crumbles easily. Most important, as the shaggy mane matures, the cap and gills gradually dissolve into a black, inky fluid, leaving only the standing stalk. Size 4" to 6" tall, sometimes larger.

When and Where: Spring, summer and fall, growing in grass, soil or wood chips. Often seen scattered in lawns and pastures.

Cautions: Shaggy manes are best when picked before the caps begin to turn black. However, until you become familiar with these mushrooms, check for the developing ink to be sure of your identification. (note: The shaggy mane is the largest of a group of edible mushrooms called inky caps. The field guides listed at the end of this article can help you identify other members of this group.)

Cooking Hints: Saute butter and season with nutmeg or garlic. Good in scrambled eggs or chicken dishes. Shaggy manes are delicate and should be picked young and eaten the same day.

·
Registered
21 Posts
found one of the largest Hen of the Woods i've ever found deer hunting last saturday while walking out sucker weighed out at 22 lb.

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
Hen of the woods are great to eat. How do you like to cook them. I eggwashed pieces and rolled in cracker crumbs and fried them.:corkysm55

·
Registered
21 Posts
nothing better than a cast iron skillet and some oil and just cut them up and throw them in. Maybe a little soy sauce depending on what i'm eating with them

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.