close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Quail here, long time poster, first time turkey hunter...

Discussion in 'Indiana Turkey Hunting' started by QuailDancer, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Ok, here's your chance to be kind and give some tips to a new turkey hunter.
    Looking on advice needed for a beginner, no comments on camo needed here. I'm interested in things like, what call is a good deal for the price and easy for a newbie to use, best shotgun loads, how to best pattern the gun before season, how important are decoys all that kind of stuff.
    Let 'r rip guys!

2. I could go on and on Keith...but I haven't killed one in 3 years of trying so I'll save you the heartache and let someone else give you all the good info.

3. I fear your advice anyway. :biggrin:
    Actually, I think I have a good grasp on the basic "tactics", really just looking for tips on some good basic equipment choices. I'll be using a Moss. 12g for the hunt if that helps any.

4. I have had better luck just finding where the birds roost,setting up by where they pitch down way before daylight,and hoping they pitch down my way. It is harder to call in a tom than most people think. I have called in alot of jakes but never a tom. I am by no means a turkey expert but is alot of fun. Very interactive and challenging.

5. Ok, all my calls I've gotten from Wal Mart. I have a Lil' Duece slate call, a Box Call (can't remember the name of it), a pull string rod/box call, 2 hen decoys and a Tom decoy. I cannot use the mouth calls to save my soul. I use a 12 ga. shotgun with an extra full turkey choke. Sometimes I sit in a blind, sometimes up against a tree.

6. I have only killed a couple birds during all my attempts, but I started out simple and acheived a bird that year. For calls, the easiest call and one you cannot mess up would be a push/pull box call. I still use mine today. I have two push/pull box calls. I think one is a Knight and Hale game call. One is quiet when the birds are close and one that is loud to reach the birds farther away. That call is a one hand call that cuts your movement and is idiot proof. I can use it.:bonk: I do most my calling with a slate call. I love it. Best thing to do is buy one and drive people around you nuts until you get that perfect sound. Once in awhile I will use a mouth call but I haven't mastered that yet. I can get that basics but I have to continue to watch the movie for my lessons. For a gun I use my 12gauge with a three and a half inch shell with 4 shot by Federal. The past couple birds didn't move after the shot. With the turkey choke I have in and that round, I destroy a paper plate at 45 yrds. But you don't have to go big. My first bird I shot with a single shot 12 gauge with a two and three quarter shell. I also know of a guy who gets a bird every year with his 20 gauge and a two and three quarter shell. It all depends on what you are comfortable with. I think this year I am going to try to good ol' bow.:dizzy: . Gun is so much easier though. Hope this helps, I'm no expert. I also use decoys. Either just one hen all by itself or a group of three. Two hens and a jake. I place the jake on top of a hen. Other jakes or toms hate see that. Oh and a crow call to locate.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2007
  7. When I first started Turkey Hunting down in Parke County, I would give the Toms what they wanted to hear. Everytime they Gobbled, I would give them another yelp. They would end up screaming at me and after they realized I wasn't going to come to them, they would loose interest. This would go on for maybe an hour. It always amazed me that a 20 lb bird could gobble his head off like that. Anyway, over the years I have toned my calling way, way down. Now I may call only once every 10 or 15 minutes. If the Gobbler would call back before I would, then I was in business. It's a cat and mouse game. As far as a call goes, I think any call that you are comfortable with will work. Call quietly, call less often, and be patient.....

8. Box calls are good for longer range calling, practice your yelps with it. Once I have a Tom located and want to start working him in, I use a friction call. I also carry a 2 or three different strikers with me as each one can produce a different sound on the same call. Learn your cuts and purrs with the friction calls, this will help to get the Tom in close for a shot. I wish I could learn to use a mouth call because they allow you to keep both hands free and cut down on movement. I've spit myself dry trying to learn how to use one..... still not good enough to where I have the confidence to use one though. When you start working a Tom, be patient and don't over do the calling. Remember, you are trying to imitate a female, so as hard as it is, you have to try and think like one. (Dean will probably have fun with that comment). Try to play hard to get and make the Tom come to you, I think if you overdo your calling the Tom is more likely to hang up.........like he thinks your going to come to him. Get a tape or CD and use it to practice your calls, I think you'll surprised how quickly you can get the sounds you want with a little practice.

9. GREAT THREAD QUAIL!!! Now I don't have to ask!! Looking forward to giving this Turkey thing a shot...been playing with calls at gander the last two days...suprised I haven't got kicked out of that place...:evilsmile

10. a good slate or box call will serve you well quail. a glass call if it's wet. my best advise is patience. don't call too much. lotta birds have been killed by simple yelps. their moody birds during breeding season. some will run in and some take their time and some will just walk away. if you get one in a strut zone he won't move till he gets ready and then he might come in silent. be careful of your set up as much as possible if he tops the ridge and can see for a 100 yrds or so he more than likely will hang up just out of range till he see's the hen. hang back on that ridge about 30 to 35 yrds or so and when he tops the ridge he'll be in range. if your hunting steep ridges always try to call him up hill if possible. if your hunting fields put those decoys out but try not to face the decoys in the tom's derection cause he'll want those hens to se him strut. they'll be less likely to hang up and come on in. nothin is for sure with gobblers if they don't today they will tomorrow.

11. Is that with or without snakes?:yikes:

12. These guys are great, aren't they? Thanks for all the tips.

13. Sure are...can't wait to but my first slate call...they just look like FUN!