close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question regarding McGinnis Lauerman Steiner

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by Outdoorsman527, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Good evening fellas! I have a question that I am hoping to get your opinion on. Believe it or not, I got selected to hunt the McGinnis, Lauerman and Steiner properties in Benton county for pheasant hunting next month. I have never stepped foot on any of the 2 properties, so I have no idea what I am getting myself into. Has anyone ever hunted these 2 places? How was the terrain or habitat? Any luck?
    I appreciate everyone's input and am thankful for this forum. In the past it has been very informational and helpful.

Thanks again guys!

2. I've been drawn twice in 30 years. Not sure I hunted that property? It's been AWESOME both times I was there, even in december once. If you need a dog, I've got a Lab that'll get you your birds.
    Have fun, I'm jealous

Outdoorsman527 likes this.

3. That's good to hear! I am driving up from Morgan County and have no idea what I am looking at. I have a lab too. Awesome dogs in my opinion!

4. How did that work out for you? Are these properties west of Swanington about a mile? Raised in Fowler in the 60's. McGinnis and Lauerman were in real estate and insurance and loved to hunt. They bought that piece of ground for pheasant hunting and always kept a couple good bird dogs. That was the end of the heyday of pheasant hunting in Benton county. Haven't been on here in months or I would have replied earlier.

5. The Steiner Lease was by far the better of the two properties I got to hunt. The McGinnis Lauerman property was really over grown but I didn't really give it a fair chance I guess. The DNR only gives you 6 hours to hunt both properties which was tough. My dog had flushed some birds on the Steiner lease and before I knew it, I only had an hour and a half to hunt the McGinnis Lauerman property. Regardless I had a great time. The weather was great and the dog worked awesome. Flushed a lot of hens but no roosters. Like you Duckmann, I haven't hunted in Fowler since the late 70's. It definitely brought back a lot of memories!