close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Questions for the crew

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by tinyt, Feb 23, 2007.

1. I am starting to plan my list on things to get this year for hunting. I was wondering all what you all use for knives for field dressing out your game. Right now I use a Buck Knife with a gut hook to dress out my deer. It works great but doesn't do the greatest on cutting through the ribs when I do so. I use a Gerber knife for dressing out all my small game and don't have a problem.
    What knife you you recommend that is a sharp and gets the job done?

Another question would have to be filming hunting/fishing videos. Right now my buddies Bronzeback, Angler103, and others go out and film each other and enjoy being either behind the camera or infront of it. It's fun and keeps us in the field when our tags are filled. We have talked about buying some better equipment and trying to make our own shows for the locals but not going national. Well not yet, the big shots are looking for us :cwm27: ..Haha. I guess I am trying to ask would it be worth our time on doing so and would people watch. I know Realtree and Roadtrips and many other awesome videos/shows are out there, but I think it would be neat to see local people out hunting the environment most of us hunt shooting class animals we chase or even animals that don't make the shows(small buck and does). Have a show for just for Indiana hunting or the Tri State area that is meant to show the heart pounding excitment that comes with any kind of harvest.

Let me know what ya'll think! Who knows. Might be a stupid idea or a great idea, but figured I would ask the best to find out!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2007
  2. I use a 4'' Old Timer fixed blade knife with a gut hook. Went through ribs fine. Has good balance. I like the knife.

To your real question. It's a good idea. Lots of dead time on local television. You might be able to pull something off.

Equipment is the real issue. It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

I would watch if it were on. I don't know how many others would. I think there are alot of logistical issues that you will run into though that will make it not work. A real editting machine is going to cost you big money. Anything less than that, and you won't even be able to put together a couple episodes to try to pitch to stations. Making it worse, even if you did sell it to someone, you are looking at investing about 20 times the time you want to show, into making the show. You need to fill episodes. 5 shotgun hunts? 2 shotgun 3 bow? Some fishing with JL will certainly fill some tape. but the logisitcs would be the toughest thing.

just my .02...

3. For the second question, I'm not looking at hitting television with them right away. Just doing it for fun is the main thing and having other watch the fun. I understand on the editting. After being part of a show on the Mens Channel I understand all the HeadAches one goes through. WOW!! I just thought it would be fun to get all my buddies around and make some higher class verson of a homemade hunting/fishing videos for right now. Getting them out to people through knowing them and possible small sporting good shops. I know getting them into stores like Meijer or Wal-Mart is like me winning 100 acres of prime hunting and all the toys a hunter needs. haha. Just think it would be fun and another hobby to get into. I didn't want to sound confusing the first time through so I apologize tmarsh. OOPS my bad.:bash: It would be neat to see hunting from the other side of the fence not being a TOP name. I think there should be more videos like this. Make it more interesting I think.:dizzy:

I would leave most the fishing videos up to JL and Bronzeback. They are the experts on my buddy list when it comes to that. Make JL the Co-Host for that. HAHA

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2007
  4. Backstraps and I have also been videotaping hunts so we can put them on a video. I was able to get a doe kill on tape this year and lots of other footage. Backstraps also got some footage including a few nice bucks. I think it would be a great idea for you and your buddies to do the same. Even if you don't sell the video you will still have it to show others. I was going to edit some footage of the 2006 season and post it on here, but the video editing system I ordered doesn't work with our computer. I'm working on that though and hopefully I will be able to post something by the summer.

5. I know a guy that makes some awesome knives. This thing wouldnt have a problem splitting ribs its so sharp. If you are interested in getting one PM me...

6. I have an Old Timer Sharp Finger , no gut hook, and a Green River type knife I bought at the Feast of the Hunters Moon about 25 years ago. I love them both.

I would watch your homespun videos. I watch Saturday morning hunting and fishing with the rest of you, but sometimes get tired of the ESPN guys. I sometimes catch some shows out of Wisconsin on Fox Sports. I may enjoy those a little more just because they are not the usual guys.

7. I use a buck knife with about a 7" blade. No gut hook, don't have a problem as long as you're carefull. I cut the ribs with a saw once it is hung up. I make the slit in the field as small as possible to keep from getting debri in the cavity when dragging. Causes me to get a little dirty up to the elbow or shoulder, but so what.

8. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.....

We probably shot enough footage this past summer just in fishing and a few hunts (squirrel, ground hogs, birds, and of course few deer) to put together at least an hour DVD. Problem is none of us know how to do it... :dizzy: We all find it very entertaining but what others would think I have no idea. I just really enjoy it because it gives me a chance to get back out in the woods after taking a deer and I think it makes the hunt more exciting for other person. also, video film is much better to watch then just looking at a picture.

9. i use an outdoor egde field dressing knife with a gut hook for the soft stuff and a folding buck knife for cutting through the ribs.
    i started filming my own bow hunts last year with a homemade camera bracket that attaches to my stabilizer. i use a tripod mounting wingnut screw to attach the camera on the bracket. i filmed over 15 bucks with it last year and i got me shooting a fox, coyote, and my big buck. its not excellent footage, but its something for me and my buddies to watch after season.

10. I use a my grandfather Old Timer 5 inch fold up knife.

11. I like Case knives, I have a small collection of older ones. I field dress my deer with my Case pocket knife and I have an older Case Hunter knife from the early 70's that I get through the chest plate with. It also has a saw blade to cut the pelvic bone with if needed. The older knives have better steel and will sharpen up quicker and keep an edge longer. Thats the secret, keeping your knife sharp!! You can find older Case knives at pawn shops or knife shows for a decent price if they're used and not in new condition.

12. I second that! I look at flea markets or yard sales for those older knives. The ones with the wooden handles have the best steel. And you can usually pick them up for about 6 bucks each. Man do they hold an edge! Most of the new stuff isnt that good unless you wanna pay an arm and a leg.

13. I have a 37 year old Uncle Henry Golden Spike with a 5 inch blade, stays sharp, Is about 1/8th of an inch across the back, You can take a heavy pieces of limb and use it to help drive thru the chest or carry a small saw, to cut thru the pelvic bone as some like you need a saw. Gut hooks are not really needed, place the point of the blade between two fingers and use an almost 180 degree angle to keep from cutting stomach or intestines. Any good knife will work well, you do not have to spend more than $50 to get a good one. But at the same time do not go to far the other way either.

As for your filming carrier, the show Outdoors in the Heart Land started out being about hunting and fishing in Ill, Mo, Ind, and surrounding area, with maybe side trips to Canada, they also had one called Outdoors in Ill for a couple of years. Talk to Fox Midwest maybe they can give you a couple of ideas. Or try contacting the Outdoors in the Heartland guys.

14. I HAVE TWO GERBER FOLDING KNIVES, BOTH ARE HALF SERRADED AND ONE HAS A GUT HOOK. THEY ARE PRETTY GOOD KNIVES FOR THE MONEY. THE SERRATED PORTION OF THE BLADE HELPS "SAWING" THROUGH THE RIBCAGE. THE GUT HOOK HELPS OUT WITH SKINNING.

I HAVE INVESTED IN A GOOD SHARPENING SYSTEM. IT`S OF THOSE THAT HOLDS THE BLADE AT A PRESCISE ANGLE WHILE YOU USE A SERIES OF STONES FROM COARSE TO FINE. I`VE FOUND THAT THIS SYSTEM WORKS ALOT BETTER THAN SOME LESS EXPENSIVE PRODUCTS. A GOOD EDGE IS THE KEY TO A GOOD KNIFE.