Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, we've had one trip out with the boys. Went to Deer Creek FWA and hunted for a couple of hours, no rabbits. The pup still needs lots of work. Glad I purchase a tracking collar. Our first hunt could have been called Running Wild With Ocho. This collar has several more functions for training, just got to figure them out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So Ocho got his first rabbit Sunday, I kicked it up but he got on the trail pushed it right back to me, the rabbit and I stared at each other for a moment, then it was over. First gunshot over him, and he never flinched. Learned more about the new tracking collar features, helped keep him in range better.
The old boy, Banjo , seems to have some arthritis, he stayed in with mom.
Dog Plant Dog breed Carnivore Grass

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, the pup still has a bit of growing.
The Remington 1100 was a gift 40 years ago from my grandpa and grandma. 4 of us grandkids were opening presents that Christmas, they all opened their gifts, I don't recall exactly what they got, but it was much nicer than the $2 keychain I got. I said it was great, I was getting my drivers license in another month so I could use it.
Then my grandpa told me to reach under the couch, and I pulled out a gun cas with that gun in it. Harvested lots of game with that gun.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, both the boys went hunting today, no rabbits, still had a good time. Old Banjo hunted but he’s not moving much since he got home , enjoying a nap.
I’m in the stand right now nice evening to be out
Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Mammal Carnivore

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, Ocho was able to get out with a pack of hounds today ( Banjo has been diagnosed with a torn ACL and is on the IR for a while). It was me a buddy and Ocho for the first hour, 3 rabbits jumped but the youngster couldn’t get on the scent, and two missed shots, 0-3. Then the pack showed up, 7 more beagles and more hunters. Ocho ran with the big dogs for a while, then got tired. For the day, A+ on hunting, C- for tracking, A for effort.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Poor banjo, ya think ocho learned much or was he too excited with all the other dogs arounds haha?
I think he did. The first hour and half it was just me and a buddy with Ocho, then the first hour or so with the pack he was all in. The first rabbit they all ran went into a pyle of old farm equipment and brush, they worked the pile for a good 5 minutes before the rabbit broke, good experience.
Then poor guy got tired. Sunday morning you could roll him around and he wouldn't open his eyes.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, Ocho had another day in the field with one other dog, a 5 year old female. The youngster has some issues to work out. I noticed last week with a large pack he would go hunt alone after a rabbit jumped, even when the pack was tracking.
We were out with just the one dog this past saturday, a rabbit jumped in front of him and he went nuts and was on it, almost caught it in the first 30 yards, but as soon as the other dog got on the track, Ocho quits, and starts hunting other spots. A lot of what i've read says younger dogs may do this and "should" grow out of it. Hoping his older housemate Banjo's ACL heals enough he can get out, maybe hunting with his buddy will help.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With the season coming to an end soon my son and I got Ocho out for a solo hunt. First two rabbits we jumped he just didn’t get going, was fairly disappointed, but as we were about done rabbit #3 jumped and Ocho worked on it a good 10 minutes, we finished the day with a successful hunt.
Dog Carnivore Grass Companion dog Dog breed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.