close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rattling in Indiana ?

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by IndianaBowHunter, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Curious what everyone thinks of rattling in Indiana. I've been bow hunting in the Indiana for 12 yrs. and have never really tried rattling. I've heard of mixed results. Just thought pick everyone's brains and thoughts.

2. I would try it. Right now is the IDEAL time to do it. I rattled Friday and Sunday and had bucks come in both times. Mainly juveniles....1 potential shooter, but the big boys are starting to cruise too.

I wouldn't go all out "Rut rattling" yet ....but grind the horns together a bit and see what happens.

3. I'm a pretty aggressive hunter. I can't stand sitting in a stand waiting for something to happen. I often try to make something happen, so I like rattling, calling, and decoys. I'm sure I get busted from it and calling a lot of the time, but I also get a lot of results from it. When I rattle, I typically GET ON IT. I'm out for a mature buck. I throw in a bunch of grunting as well.

Four years ago, I rattled in my first buck ever. It was on Oct. 29. On my second rattle attempt, he came charging down a fence row looking for a fight. I shot the P&Y 8 pointer at 15 yards.

Three years ago, on Oct. 28, I rattled in another P&Y 8 pointer. I shot him at 10 yards. After I downed that deer, I sat in the stand and rattled up three more bucks in about 15 minutes. All small bucks, but I rattled them in none the less.

The last couple years, I've rattled in many small bucks, but not a shooter. Yesterday evening, I had a 6 pointer come into my buck decoy about 10 minutes after I rattled.

Rattling works, especially right now through the middle to end of the rut. It is a tool, just like anything else. It will work sometimes and other times it will get you busted.

I will tell you this. If one of your goals is to put a tag on a doe, then you might as well leave the rattle bag or horns at home. I have NEVER had a doe come remotely close to me while I've been rattling for bucks. Does seem to avoid the rattle sound, as I'm sure they've associated it with aggressive bucks.

As for what to use, I use a H.S. rattle bag. While I do agree that real horns are the best to use, I tend to take too much stuff to the stand the way it is, and I like the compactness of a bag.

4. Ratting in Indiana? Yes. I don't usually mess around with the litely rattling theory. It you are going to imitate a buck fight go at it hard. I have rattled in several bucks with this tactic.

5. Here's my theory on "light rattling"...

I've seen a couple 120"+ run away from aggressive rattling. I was shocked to see it, but I'm assuming they had messed with a larger buck at some point, and didn't want to be reminded of that lesson again.

Therefore, unless rattling in the peak of the rut, I don't crash the horns together like all hell is breaking loose.

I would rather light rattle and peak the interest of many deer. Perhaps I bring in more smaller deer with the light rattling, but more times than not if a larger deer is in the area, he will come check out what is making the noise too and end up running off the smaller subordinate bucks.

Not saying my method is right....it's just what I've observed in the field.

Either way....rattling is DEFINITELY worth it in my opinion.

6. I plan on hitting the horns Wednesday morning. It is going to be one of those cold crisp 30 degree mornings. The BtoD ratio is fairly good in the area so we shall see what happens. I have grunted bucks in but this will be my first time to hit the horns in this area. I will let you know how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2006
  7. i been wanting to try rattleing but not sure of how any tips

8. Just go for it. If you are leary of it, start out with some light rattling.

I have a buddy that refuses to try rattling. He's afraid he'll scare off everything in the woods. You know, he just might, but he'll never know if he doesn't try.

Like I said, I'm an agressive hunter. I don't care if it is deer, turkeys, ducks, geese, or any other game. I'd rather try and make something happen then to sit, wait, and hope something will.

Just grab some horns, a grunt tube, and go for it.

9. Having never tried it I'm going to ask a stupid question.....

I've been looking at the bags, cause I'd rather carry something compact into the woods. Whats the best way to use them, I've screwed with them in the stores, and can't seem to make them make much noise. How do yall work the bags?

10. Just work the sticks inside the bag by rolling it around in between your two hands. You can hold the bag in one hand and smash it into your other hand. You can get a lot of noise out of the bag by kind of grinding the sticks together using both hands.

It actually doesn't take a lot of effort when you are in the quiet woods to get a bag to ring out there.

11. I use the rattle bag. I brought in a small 6 point yesterday after rattling. I have never brought in a big one yet, but this is only my third year trying it. I think this is the perfect time of year to try it though.

12. I`M GOING TO BUCK THE TREND HERE GUYS. I HAVE RATTLED MANY TIMES, DID SO THIS PAST WEKEND, AND HAVE NEVER HAD A BUCK RESPOND. I DO NOT KNOW IF IT IS ATTRIBUTED TO THE AREA THAT I HUNT, MY METHODS, THE WEATHER, OR WHAT, IT JUST HAS NEVER WORKED FOR ME. I WILL EVEN SAY THAT ONLY ONCE IN 20 YEARS HAS GRUNTING SENT A BUCK MY WAY.

I DO AGREE AS OTHERS HAVE STATED THAT AT TIMES YOU NEED TO BE AGRESSIVE AND THAT YOU SHOULD AT LEAST TRY SOMETHING, AND I SEE RATTLING AND GRUNTING AS A TOOL . BUT IF YO DO , IN MY OPINION, DON`T EXPECT TO BE RUN OVER BY BUCKS CHARGING IN.

13. Thanks DEC, this gives me hope, I've used the H.S rattle bag for the last 2 seasons and have yet to bring in a single deer with it. I'll keep giving it a try. I'm with you on too much stuff to haul in my backpack, and like the size of the rattle bag.

14. I use a bag and can say i have yet to bring in any kind of a buck with it. Had it for 2 years now. Tried it this morning and all i seen was 3 does. Could be the area i hunt though too.

15. Local herd dynamics plays a big part in rattling and calling. In my little neck of the woods, there are A LOT of bucks. In fact, I'm actually struggling right now finding a doe, let along getting one in bow range. My area has bucks crawling out of the wood work. It is that way every year. I usually don't get into does in any quantities until December. I think that is why rattling works so well where I hunt. There are just so many bucks. I know, I know, a good problem to have. But trust me, when you like to stack some does in the freezer, it can get old seeing 1.5 year old bucks all day.:chillin: (OK, it never gets old, just frustrating at times.)

A good buck to doe ratio will yield good results with rattling.