close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

realfoot trip

Discussion in 'Indiana Outdoor News' started by catdaddy75, Jan 27, 2006.

1. hey fellas need a little help.going to realfoot fishing may 14-17 got any hot spots or pointers.

2. Sorry - can't help you with the fishing - Went waterfowl hunting there a couple of times back in the late 70's, cool area. There used to be a great restaurant on the Lake, Gooches was the name I think. They had all you can eat crappies. They commercial fish them on the lake. Lots of bald eagles. Have fun and let us all know what you find out. :)

3. reel foot

The time you are going the gills will be slamming anything. Take a 500box of wax worms with you. i use 1/64 ball head jig. Add a small peice of plastic such as one you would use for Ice fishing1/2 inch long , no longer tip with wax worm 4lb line. Head for the closest tree or stump start fishing. The gills are every where. Fish for them just like crappie 5minutes no bite haul ass to next tree or stump. Enjoy:bouncy:

4. I've been there twice...stayed at Blue Bank Resort really nice right on the water. Both times I was there was in April. Dockdabber is correct on the gills, they hold tight to the bases of the cypress trees. We had marginal success on crappie while there which is what the lake is famous for but the weather wasn't the greatest either. You'll know where the crappie are by the population of boats gathered in one location. If I can find my Reelfoot map I can tell you where we did have success. Where are you staying? While you are there you gotta' got to Boyette's BBQ joint it's the best! You can find it on the web too to see what they have. Let me know where you are staying and I can direct you from there.

treehugger

5. How many are in your party? Going in May you will be in the gills more than the crappies, depending on the weather. And hey don't forget to enjoy the water snakes. Long poles and slip bobbers they say.

6. IF IT IS CRAPPIE YOU ARE AFTER, YOU HAD BETTER DRIFT WITH THE WIND IN OPEN WATER IN THE MIDDLE BAY. BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET CAUGHT IN THE WHITECAPS IF THE WIND KICKS UP! THERE ARE A FEW BOATS ON THE BOTTOM! ASK YOUR RESORT OWNER. I HAVE STAYED AT HAMILTONS ON THE EAST BAY, AT LITTLE STONEY CAMP (WHICH ISN'T THERE ANYMORE BUT IT WAS ON THE MIDDLE BAY, AND WE HAVE STAYED AT SOME CABINS NEAR THE MIDDLE BAY BUT I CANT REMEMBER THE NAME. ANYWAY, IF DRIFTING WONT GET YOU ON THEM, THERE IS A DEEP BASIN (ABOUT 18 FT DEEP IN THE LARGEST OR WEST BAY) LOOK AT THE MAP! YOU HAVE ALREADY GOT GOOD INFO ON THE GILLS, BUT LET ME ADD THAT THE LILLY PADS AND STUMPS ALONG THE WESTERN SHORELINE OF THE EAST BAY NORTHWEST OF HAMILTON'S RESORT OR ALMOST DUE NORTH OF THE PUBLIC BOAT RAMP HAS ALWAYS HELD NICE GILLS AND CRAPPIE. SNAKES SHOULDN'T BE THAT BAD UNLESS YOU INTRUDE ON THIER NEST, THEN YOU NEED TTO LEAVE THE AREA, OR THEY WILL COME RIGHT OVER THE BACK OF THE BOAT! ONE OTHER VALUABLE PIECE OF ADVISE IS FISH NEAR THE DUCK BLINDS, BUT DONT EVER SHAKE OR HOOK ONE UNLESS YOU WANT TO ENCOUNTER THE LARGEST SWARM OF WASPS KNOWN TO MAN!!!!!! :yikes:

7. Now aint this shapin up to be a hell of a trip! Sounds like an episode of Fishing Survivor. Listen, the snakes and wasps I encountered weren't all that bad, but that was just at the local bar! :dizzy:
    The Reelfoot trip is always won or lost based on where you stay, as there are many levels of comfort available around the lake. Best advice, while you are there seek out one or two local diners for some real southern cooking, then you can come back home and talk about Tennessee biscuits and all.

8. Don't forhet to stop over at Hill Billy junction! It aint a trip to reel foot unless you stop there. Where else can you buy fireworks and a crucifix in the same store? Thats what I call power shopping!!:evil:

9. don't forget about catfish

fishing the pads at reelfoot hang on to your pole! those pads are full of whiskered swimmers that love beemoth worms and jigs! 12 foot pole 4lb line and big cats will keep anyone excited
    good luck
    stay safe water gets bad in a hurry
    keep your powder dry
    DBurris(possum)

10. Popeye Jigs are popular on Reelfoot Lake for specks and gills.

11. thanks for all the advice guys now i dont know what im in for thought iwas going for some relaxation and good fishing sounds like a 4 day tornado ridin deep sea bashin snake bitin nightmare better pray lots huh im stayin at acorn point lodge around samburg

12. thats a big ten four gotta love anything with bbq sauce thanks tree