close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Reasons Iowa have so many monster bucks...Part 33,098

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by Dean Weimer, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Reason Iowa has so many monster bucks...

To those who don't think that Iowa has giant bucks because of a shorter post-rut hunt can read what their Head Whitetail Management Biologist, Willie Suchy, wrote for Bluffland Whitetails Association's July 2006 BWA Whitetail News issue. The article is entitled "Deer management: Iowa's regulations and producing quality deer"

" I believe the timing of the firearms's season results in more quality deer than if our season was held during the rut. Why? Because in Iowa over 65 percent of the antlered bucks killed each year are taken after the rut. Mature deer that are harvested during the firearms season have had the chance to pass on their genetics. Additionally, mature bucks are undoubtedly less vulnerable to hunting pressure in December than they are during the rut. Even a small increase in survivorship will result in more mature bucks in a population over time.
    I also believe our short seasons are an advantage. Hunters only have a couple of days to hunt are willing to take a doe rather than be unsuccessful. About 45 percent of the deer killed by hunters with either-sex licenses during the shotgun seasons are does."

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2006
  2. much more better

I like that reason better than part #33097. Serious side, wish we had the seasons Iowa does. No wonder they make it difficult for out-of-staters to get in on hunts. They have it made!

Eric

3. No, Eric, what I meant was that we all know why Iowa has huge bucks...it wasn't meant to sound like the 33,098th reason....but, rather, that I'm saying it for the 33,098th time...this time backed up by the head of the states' Whitetail Management team. Many people have all but told me that having the firearms season outside of the rut wouldn't do a thing for "trophy" management in Indiana. You don't have to take my word for it because the State of Iowa's Head Biologist said it instead......

CutNShoot, Now do you believe what I've said 5,000,000 times to you?

4. well geez dean

just cause he said it doesnt mean its right. So if I only gun hunted on the third sunday of december and then shot two does on the second sunday of october. Then posted nine hundred graphs showing you guys what I have done, all of course from the days in the mid 90's when we had a hard time finding deer to kill and you saw numbers of hunters increasin and harvests decreasing, that I could kill a monster too? It just doesnt seem to add up... Maybe if I could use my straight walled cowboy rifle and my one decoy, then i could have something really nice. But all you guys that think the rut happens in November... Ive got news to you. the WHCC says its clearly in september because thats nine months from June and everyone knows a pregnancy lasts nine months. Cmon dean who are you fooling, and you claim to be an antler worshipper. Im tired of your antics to turn hunting into nothing but a mega buck warzone.
    Sincerely yours
    Oldbuckkiller, cutnshoot, hickorynut, and bocephus

5. I WOULD NOT BE OPPOSED TO TRIMMING A FEW DAYS OFF OF OUR FIREARMS SEASON, AND MOVING IT BACK A WEEK OR TWO, AS JUST ALMOST ALL STATES AROUND US HAVE DONE SOMETHING SIMILAR, ESPECIALLY IN THE LEGNTH OF SEASON.

IT WILL NOT BOTHER ME BECAUSE I WILL STILL BE HUNTING, ONLY WITH MY BOW.

6. The problem with this is......

Indiana manages for "Hunter Opportunity", not wildlife management.

The next thing we all have to remember we aint as smart as other hunters. You know to read, understand and apply for a gun tag in Iowa it takes at least a 6th grade education. We are "hicks" we don't want to be like other States (unless it is cowboy rifles or crossguns). Heck when we talked about antler width as far as a management tool, we were told Indiana hunters couldn't do that. Georgia could as well as Kentucky.

We tried counting button bucks as bucks...... can't do it...... Arkansas can.

Leave us alone or we will be overun by outfitters and non residents........

I can't find an icon for chicken little and the sky is falling.......but here is the self portrait of CNS........

[​IMG]

7. ???

I think this is the lost love child of Pork Lips Weimer...same hair line.

8. oldbuckkiller

oldbuckkiller Banned

i'll tell you one reason massive doe harvest.

9. Yes, Michael, this is a well known way of driving up the average body weight, antler score, etc. of bucks in a herd. KILL SURPLUS DOES.....

10. I'll tell you why Iowa has so many monster bucks...'cause all of us aren't over there huntin'....that's why!!! :cwm27:

11. Amen!

12. Self explanatory!!! And to think that their head deer biologist is excited about big bucks. I invite anyone to go the Iowa Deer Classic and see how cool it is to actually see a states' DNR officials actually excited about their status as a big buck producer.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2006
  13. Well then, with all those facts from other states, let's set aside the entire month of November as a time period of no big game hunting in the State of Indiana. That should give an adequate amount of time for the deer herd to produce what seems to be the ultimate objective.:evilsmile

14. Nope, Iowans bowhunt the entire month of November.

15. Nope, too one sided! Do they hunt the entire month of October also?:evilsmile