close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

record book bucks

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by klavinski, Dec 20, 2006.

1. How many of you would enter your deer in a record book? How hard do you think it is to make the pope and young book from indiana? How many do any of you have and how long did it take to achieve this?

2. Sure I would......... if I ever get one that would qualify.

3. If I did I suppose I would.

4. Record Books

Ahhh here we go again.........lol.

I believe EVERYONE who takes an animal that will make the various record books should enter it. This is a measure against a long established measure on what a mature animal should be representative of the species.

Now if we look at Pope & Young and whitetail deer( the most popular species) it takes a 125 inch deer to qulaify under the Typical category. How hard is it to achieve that standard. Hunt the midwest, not too difficult. Hunt the Carolina's, try Florida, try Tennessee. The standard is set but some areas have seasons or sub speies that are condusive to achieving set goal.

Next we have the guys who say they don't have the need to have a deer scored. Yet these are the same guys who spout off points on the deer and a score. they didn't enter it in a Record Book but they sure used the score system, why? Because if I tell you I killed a "8 pointer" you have no idea of size, yet if I say I killed a 140" 8 pointer you have a vision of what that deer looked like.

I believe that each entry into a record book recognizes the deer, the area and the hunter, in that order. When I want to scout another State, I look at the potential. what better way than look at past preformance? And there is the reason some don't want to have their deer scored and entered, they don't want others knowing what is in "their woods".

How hard is it to get an Indiana buck into Pope & Young? Let him live past 1 1/2 year old!

5. I would if I could ever be lucky enough to get one big enough. Can you enter into both the HRB and P & Y or B & C?

6. I dunno.....maybe i would.........but then again i would want to keep my little honeyhole a secret.

7. Of course you can WThunter.

Shoot a monster with your bow and it can go into B&C, P&Y, and HRB.

Shoot one with muzzleloader and it can go into B&C, Longhunter, and HRB.

Legal gun B&C, HRB.

And for guys like Weimer who find them dead from old age there is a found category to give the buck the recognition he deserves.

I would enter my deer. Odds are it would be a 140" animal and I doubt that would raise enough of a stir nationwide to make me worry about protecting my hunting ground.

8. The days of protecting, hiding your "honey hole" are over. It is just a bunch of silly bs, now. Big bucks come from all over the state. Like JB said, if you want a p+y, just pass 1.5-2.5yr old bucks and there you go. It takes a booner to even raise an eyebrow around where I hunt. So, put your trophy in the books.

9. If I get a Booner, then I will decide.

10. I CAN THINK OF NO REASON NOT TO. OF COURSE I HAVE TO GET ONE FIRST.

11. So does any of you have consistent luck of taking pope and young bucks?

12. Hey if you put enough time and hard work into it and then dont get it scored to get into the books, then i think thats crazy! I have spent timeless hours in the woods and only killed on buck of that caliber and may never kill another one and im going to score it! So i say yeah why not score it!!!!