close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

recurve advice

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by Poundsy, Apr 9, 2007.

1. I am looking to purchasing a recurve. I had good look asking info about treestands so I am hoping to get some reviews about what type of recurve is a good one "for the money". I have been hunting with a darton rampage for a couple years and love it. I just want to try something different. Thanks fella's

2. Man, I really wish I could help you out on this one, but I need all the cams, cables, and gizmos possible on my bows. I really admire you guys with the recurves and the long bows. A lot of discipline goes into that aspect of archery. Maybe someday I'll make the switch, but not yet.

Good luck in your quest.

If you ever get up here to the N.E. corner of the state, you have to check out Three Rivers Archery in Ashley. A traditional archer's playground.:coolgleam

3. Shoot trdtnlbwhntr a message...he's the master of the recurve.

4. As you probably already know there are a bazillion different manufacturers out there. My best advice is to take a trip to Ashley IN and visit 3-Rivers Archery. They will let you shoot all the bows they sell. They have mass produced bows and custom bows as well. Finding a bow that shoots where you want it to is the trick and most of that comes from the feel of the bow in your hand and the weight in which you are pulling. Dont try to "man-up" on it and get the 75 pound bow when you have to struggle to get it to full draw. I started with a 65# bow and went to 55# because I shot better with a lighter bow. Obviously you dont know how a bow will feel in your hand until youve shot it and 3-Rivers gives you that chance to shoot them all and find out which kind of handle you like.

My top picks for customs are:
    Great Plains Takedowns
    Tallman Bows ( I have two of them and they are affordable)
    Bighorn Bows
    Schaffer Silver Tips (Kind of pricey but you get what you pay for)

DO NOT SPEND THE MONEY ON BLACKWIDOW
    Over priced mediocricy at its best. They arent that nice and they arent made by hand. Thats how I feel about it. Its like buying a Matthews Compound a bunch of bows do the same thing but you pay for the name. Shoot me a pm if you have any questions. Another great place to check is
    www.tradgang.com they have a section of used bows that the people of that site stand behind and honor the quality of the bows sold there. Nobody on that site will rip you off like the big auction site will.