close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recurve Limb Straightening????

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by Fuzzy Muzzy, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Has anyone ever attempted to straighten a recurve limb with a twist in it? I hav done this before by stringing the bow and laying it on the hood of my truck on a hot day to reform it. I just picked up a recurve from a freind that has a twisted bottom limb. Well, my dilemma is, the days aren't hot enough.

Does anyone else have a way to straighten this limb? If so would you sare?

Thanks!
    Fuzzy

2. Im kind of thinking your method is not a good one... The reason being is that leaving a bow strung in the heat can cause the glue bond to weaken between the limb laminations. Ive read a lot about how some glues if heat accelerated when curing can return to a precured state if they hit the same temp as they were original cured in. Man that sounds confusing but what im trying to say is if the bow is strung and the glue weakens you are going to return to a bow in probably a million pieces or it will be shortly after you release the string on the first couple of arrows. Im not sure exactly how to perform this task safely and structurely sound, maybe shoot an email out to 3rivers archery and see how they handle it. The owner is a bowyer and he might be able to help you out a bit. But i dont think your method is the safest.

3. Thanks trdtnlbwhntr, I'll shoot Dale an email.
    Do you ever attend the Compton Traditional Rendezvous?

Thanks,
    Fuzzy

4. not too often but i do go to cloverdale every year