Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I've gotten started fishing again, I've taken to looking at any body of water I pass while driving in Indianapolis and wondering if I can fish there.

I've seen retention ponds listed a couple of places as being good places for fishing because a) they are required to be stocked with fish for mosquito control and b) they don't generally see a lot of "pressure".

The main issues, IMO with fishing at such places would be one of legality--generally private property--and fish contamination (since I like to keep what I catch for the table, at least where appropriate). Related to legality is access: where you can park, etc.

Does anybody have any thoughts on these, tips on gaining permission (if needed), and tips on finding good candidates?

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
When in doubt, stop and ask. Worst thing that can happen is that you would be told NO. You would be supprised what is in some of those ponds. We had great crappie fishing in one at my sister's house in Southport, and I saw a guy catch a HUGE white bass from a pond in Avon. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
4,583 Posts
I fish in many of the ponds here in the north indy area. I know where most of these are, because i do work on the propertys before house are put up. Most are owned by the homeowners association, my best pointers are, fish the ponds that are in "working class" areas, dont walk into a hood with 600k to million dollar homes, as most people there dont want anything to do with you fishing. find the ones that you can gain access by, without cutting through someones property. If asked to leave, just nod and say "ok". I have a few buds who live on retention ponds, they see people all the time who are fishing there and shouldnt be, one thing they hate is when a bunch of people come there, start catching all the fish, and putting them in a bucket, thats when they get the boot. Not that i would want to eat fish that suck up fertilizer pellets all day long. i bet i havent been asked to leave more then 3 times on the ponds i have fished. Just try it, you will be suprised. One more thing, if i see someone else fishing, then i know its safe!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
as a guy who lives on a retention pond, it chaps me to see three or four trucks pull up in the grass and see kids come out with all their gear. They fish for a couple of hours, putting all the fish in a bucket, then dump them back in the pond.

I actually told some kids to put the fish back one day. The guys down the street stocked the pond with gills, some bass, and catfish. I didn't want to see their investment leave with these kids who couldn't even tell me who they knew in the neigborhood.

My advice: fish in the ponds for fun, not food. You can always check out the retention ponds in the corporate parks. You'll definitely not be bothering anybody after hours.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
grew up fishing retention ponds in Florida and them suckers were always slap full of nice bass! loved em'!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I fish at a retention pond in park 100. I have bought lots of bluegill, some bass and some catfish. The largest I ever caught was a 7lb largemouth. I haven't been harassed by anyone. Most people are just shocked there is anything in those ponds.

Jason

·
Registered
138 Posts
This tread touched a nerve with me. I also live on one and me and a neighbor stocked it 8 years ago when the thing was dug. This new guy moves in this spring and started fishing it. One day in may, I see him with a buddy and i noticed them carrying a big bucket up to his house. The next thing I see is the guy pulling out 3-4 pounders and start filleting them. I went over and chewed his arz out. I told him there was nothing I could do but I didn't want to see him ever keep another bass out of this pond. I told him those were our pet fish and I bet me and the kids have caught those same ones a 100 times. I ask him why in the world would you kill a fish like that unless you where starving. I said let your kids catch them, treat them nice and put them back to catch another day. Man I was hot!
Funny thing was, I never saw the dude fishing again all year. Not the way I wanted to meet the guy but I was mad for a month every time I looked out my back door at the pond.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've fished them a lot. Just start asking. There's one in every neighborhood. The fish grow big, but don't fight near as well as larger bodies of water, but its a ton of fun. Usually you can catch them every few casts.

·
Registered
85 Posts
pond

I release all the ones I catch. For a while in the spring I was catching bluegill and green sunfish with every cast.

Jason

·
Registered
962 Posts
alot of those ponds are overpopulated and need some removed,,,trick is not overharvesting

·
Registered
435 Posts
This is a funny thread! Best to have permission each and everytime you go someplace to fish. Someone owns those ponds and if they or a representative of "they" are having a bad day you could be in trouble with the law.

Blue gills must be thinned from a pond otherwise you are looking at a mess of dinks to come. Bass and cats a different but if those kids are taking gills let em take em all. And if you have green sunfish in your pond, good luck! I'd kill em all.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I 1000% agree w/ Duff and TD! It's simple common sense guys..........don't be where you shouldn't be w/ out permission and don't wear out your welcome.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have hunted with him. He is a good man and will follow the rules.
He is looking for a place to take his daughter, catch a few bgills, and teach her something. Help the man out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Most ponds these days will have signs if you can't fish etc. I prefer corporate area's and apartments ponds myself just because people typcially don't have an issue. Pay attention to signs and make sure you don't leave anything behind.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a stupid question. Does any one know were I can get wax worms and minnows at in the Greenwood area. I am looking forwards to trying my luck at these retention ponds. Thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
worms

I'm not sure if they have them or not, but you might try the outdoors shop on 135 just south of smith valley road across from the super target. they have a few different types of baits. Gander mountain over on county line and 65 has minnows. Not sure about wax worms. I usually buy bee moths there.

Jason

·
Registered
506 Posts
like Jason said The Outdoorsman will carry about anything you need. Some good guys in there alittle pricey but a large selection. Good luck.
Mike

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey thanks guys. I appreciate all the info. I like using the minnows for when I just feeling like sitting in a chair and taking it easy. I enjoy using wax worms for bait when I feel like jigging for pan fish. I have to be honest here I have been on other sites and I really like this one becuase everybody seems to be pretty helpful and knowledgeable about everything. Thanks for all the help, Doug

·
Registered
3 Posts
These posts about being annoyed by people taking their pet fish from their RETENTION PONDS - do you not believe that fish are capable of re-populating? Actually fish can quickly over-populate and ruin a pond. I would encourage people to fish your ponds if you want bigger fish in your pond, and if there is concern for trophy fish, just have a size maximum requirement - release the 5 pounders and larger, but also require that they take ALL of the panfish with that they catch. That might even stop them from fishing these ponds that are over-populated with tiny bluegill. If you want good fishing, then population maintenance is key. But many people simply do not understand this being uneducated about it, so the panfish in most Indiana ponds are tiny and although there are bass, the are usually pretty thin -(and of course there are also those who simply do not want strangers around their house fishing).

We fish a couple of ponds and take about 200 LARGE bluegill each year, and some are nearly 1 lb. - they can get large because there is less competition for food.

Should we not harvest any more deer either? (Indiana hunters take about 110,000 deer per year) What happens with deer/car collisions and also with deer starvation an disease? It's called wildlife management - it is necessary and it is good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is a funny thread! Best to have permission each and everytime you go someplace to fish. Someone owns those ponds and if they or a representative of "they" are having a bad day you could be in trouble with the law.

Blue gills must be thinned from a pond otherwise you are looking at a mess of dinks to come. Bass and cats a different but if those kids are taking gills let em take em all. And if you have green sunfish in your pond, good luck! I'd kill em all.
I agree- the panfish should be fished out as much as possible - it is not possible to take too many out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts