Indiana Sportsman Forum banner

Rifle For Deer Season

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  reloader 
#1 ·
Has Anybody Heard Any Talk About Consideration Of Certain Rifle/pistol Calibers In Long Guns Being Allowed In Upcoming Firearms Seasons. I Heard Some Rumors That The State May Consider Such A Change.
While I Mixed Feelings About This Rule, Is There All That Much Difference Between A .44 Magnum Fired From A Handgun Or The Same Round Fired From A Lever Action Carbine Or Rifle? How Can One Be Justifiyed And The Other Not? Have We Opened Up A Pandoras Box With The Legalization Of Handgun Hunting. What Do You Guys Think About This Subject-

#2 ·
I have no problem with handguns as long as the barrel length limit be under 10". Some of these guns now have 21" barrels, which is only a few inches shorter then some full size rifles. I don't feel its fair to have a .270 or 30.06 caliber handgun with a long barrel and scope.

#4 ·
dnrlawman said:
There was legislation proposed to legalize some rifles for deer season but that bill is dead.
HEY DNR, ASIDE FROM THE FACT HAT THE BILL IS DEAD, HOW DO THEY JUSTIFY ALLOWING SOME OF THE LEGAL PISTOL CALIBERS BEING USED, BUT NOT THE SAME ROUND IN A SLIGHTLY LONGER BARREL. ARE THE PHYSICS ALL THAT MUCH DIFFERENT? ANYBODY KNOW?

#6 ·
bowaddict said:
I have no problem with handguns as long as the barrel length limit be under 10". Some of these guns now have 21" barrels, which is only a few inches shorter then some full size rifles. I don't feel its fair to have a .270 or 30.06 caliber handgun with a long barrel and scope.
A handgun has a barrel 15" or less. 16" or more is considered a rifle.

#8 ·
reloader said:
You get approx 100 or a few more feet per second from a rifle which means little.
RELOADER, THATS ABOUT WHAT I WOULD HAVE EXPECTED. BASED ON THAT, HOW CAN THEY ALLOW CENTER FIRE PISTOLS AND NOT RIFLES OF THE SAME CALIBER? SEEMS THAT A RIFLE WOULD BE A MORE STABLE PLATFORM AND THEREFORE A MORE ACCURATE SHOT. YOU WOULD THINK THAT THAT IS WHAT THEY WOULD WANT.

AS STATED EARLIER, I THINK THEY OPENED A CAN OF WORMS BY ALLOWING PISTOL HUNTING. I THINK NOW THEY HAVE TO ALLOW RIFLE HUNTING WITH THE SAME CALIBERS. THERE IS BASICALLY NO DIFFERENCE IN TRAJECTORY, THEREFORE NO DIFFERENCE IN SAFETY.

#9 ·
I see absolutely nothing wrong with straight wall pistol cartridge rifles for deer season.

1) They are a LOT less expensive to shoot than a slug gun. Shooting sabot slugs at $2 to $3 a pop eats up a lot of cash in a hurry. A deer hunter will practice more with these rifles because of the less expenses involved. Shells are reloadable too..

2) They kick a lot less than the slug guns and therefore a deer hunter will practice more.About the 7th or 8th shot with a slug gun my shoulder says "NO MAS" (NO MORE)..

3) Kids and small stature hunters (usually women) will find them more pleasant to shoot and hunt with that a shoulder bruiser.

4) They are MUCH better suited for deer hunting than a .410 slug gun, thus making it an ideal gun for youth and women

5) They could recruit more hunters (kids, women and "cowboy shooters")

6) THEY ARE FUN TO SHOOT.

#11 ·
Thats what i know,a rifle'platform' is much more stable than a pistol,which i never am able to find anything to lean against to fire off of when i see a deer,a rifle would be more safe ,as you can make a better shot.And as you said'no differance in trajectory".
BRICH60 said:
RELOADER, THATS ABOUT WHAT I WOULD HAVE EXPECTED. BASED ON THAT, HOW CAN THEY ALLOW CENTER FIRE PISTOLS AND NOT RIFLES OF THE SAME CALIBER? SEEMS THAT A RIFLE WOULD BE A MORE STABLE PLATFORM AND THEREFORE A MORE ACCURATE SHOT. YOU WOULD THINK THAT THAT IS WHAT THEY WOULD WANT.

AS STATED EARLIER, I THINK THEY OPENED A CAN OF WORMS BY ALLOWING PISTOL HUNTING. I THINK NOW THEY HAVE TO ALLOW RIFLE HUNTING WITH THE SAME CALIBERS. THERE IS BASICALLY NO DIFFERENCE IN TRAJECTORY, THEREFORE NO DIFFERENCE IN SAFETY.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.