close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Safety Harness.

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by Duckz-N-Buckz30, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Who uses a safety harness/vest?

So I just spent some money getting the new "Hunter Safety Systems" Pro Series Vest. Pretty nice no tangles or getting ticked in the dark trying to figure out which arm goes here and which leg goes there. Just put it on and snap a couple buckles and your ready. Very comfortable and this version is mesh so its breathable. Also has a hook for pulling out your game. For those who use them I Highly Recommend this unit!

2. Hey D & B what did that unit set you back price wise...I'd like to get one.

3. The pro series vest i got was $125, same out of most places (basspro, cabelas, etc..). Hunter Safety System has 3 different ones ranging from $75-$140. API has a similar one to the pro series for about $150-$160, but i just liked the feel of the HSS better.

4. Most of them run from $70-$120!

I use a harness for a couple of reasons! I fell out of a tree a little over 10 years ago when a limb broke on me. 22 feet and severel beech tree limbs later, I finally met the ground.

5. ouch!

seat-of-the-pants harness

6. Thumbs Up

I`VE USED THE HUNTERS SAFETY VEST FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS NOW. AT FIRST I WAS NOT HAPPY AS I FELT IT WAS TOO CUMBERSOME. THE MORE I USED IT THE MORE I BEGAN TO LIKE IT. NOW I WOULD NOT CONSIDER GOING UP A TREE WITHOUT IT. THE SECURITY FEELING THAT I GET WHILE WEARING IT MAKES IT WELL WORTH THE PRICE. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE PRODUCT.

7. Thanks for the info. guys....I've been eyeballing these vests too. Currently I use a full body harness.

What kills me is I know guys who don't use a harness or vest because they say it's "too uncomfortable". My response is always, " I would think it would be more uncomfortable after getting a broken back from falling out of a tree!":bash:

My life is worth $125-$160 thank you very much!:corkysm55

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2006
  8. Good choice.

I've preached and preached tree stand safety for the past few years on various website forums. Last year, all that I had preached hit real close to home, when I myself fell. Fortunately I was wearing a Summit S.O.P. harness, as I had been for several years. The harness saved my life.

I can tell you first hand that the "it will never happen to me" attitude is not worth a hill of beans. Even though I always wore a harness, I really never thought I would fall. Trust me, when it happens, it will be when you least expect it and it will happen so fast you will not have time to react. It is scary stuff when it does happen.

For those that argue they are too expensive, compare the price of a harness to that of a broken leg, life in a wheel chair, or the cost of putting you 6 feet under. On top of that, at least if you own a Summit harness, if you fall, Summit will replace the harness for FREE. Kind of makes that $75 or so not sound so bad does it?

This year, I've gone an extra step in stand safety. On all my lockon/climbing stick locations I've installed a climbing rope safety system, very similar to what Summit sells. I meet this guy on ArcheryTalk and he sells the same system for less than half the cost of a Summit. I bought 5 of them. Here is a link http://www.geocities.com/safetreehunt/index.html

I really don't care who's harness you use (I have my opinions on most of the brands), but I would encourage everyone to use a full body harness. If not for yourself, please consider using one for your loved ones.

Please be safe and wear a harness ... trust me.

9. I have one, but I can't use it. The tether is too short, it works fine if your just sitting there, but if you try to turn around or something you can't. The other problem is w/ the short tether it is either pulling on you when your sitting so that its high enough to let you stand, or its comfortable when you sit but too short to let you stand. I really need to get a good one, just haven't done it yet.

10. harness

Hey Dadoffour.....you can buy extenders for the harness. I had to buy a 3 foot extender for one stand for the same reason. If I turned to the right I would get bound up.

On the subject of the vest, are there enough pockets? I wear full body harness under my bibs so I have full access to my pockets. By the way....if you wear it under your outer wear....make sure you have jeans on underneath other wise you pinch the boys if you know what I mean!:16suspect

oldrookie

11. Yhea I know, just figure it'd be better to get a whole new harness, so its not patched together......
    DOF

12. I bought my pro series hunter safety vest about a little more than a year ago and i love it!! I used to use one that got all tangled up and it took me forever to get it just to where it wasnt tangled up and now it takes me seconds to put mine on plus it has pockets on it so i can actually use it for other things other than my safety, but it is very comfortable and it just feels like you have a regular vest on. Plus the deer dragging part on it works good too so i am very happy with mine i would absolutley recommend it to anybody that asked me about it