close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

safety!!

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by scrapewatcher, Feb 6, 2006.

1. anyone have any good safety tips stand hunting. everybody does things a little different so there may be some new ideas that may be used or to better the ones we allready use to enjoy the sport we love so well. a spit second could mean tragety or or even death.

2. DON'T wait until you get all the way up the tree to hook up your safety harness. Do it as soon as/or before your feet leave the ground. You do not have to be off the ground very far to get seriously injured. There are too many things you could hit on the way down or land on once hitting the ground. If many of you are like me I hunt by myself and I am a long way from anybody that could hear me yelling. I've heard way too many horror stories and know too many people that have fallen from heights of up to 25 feet.....it's not a pretty story.

treehugger

3. good one tree

4. harness

I like my seat-of-the-pants harness plenty. Your break down in protection is while climbing steps, ladder, etc. and not being connected. That can be solved with the climbing system with the prussic knot (I have one on a 30' high hang on). Otherwise use a climber so you can stay attached. I still don't use anything on a couple of stands (mostly ladders) while climbing up. If you wanted total protection all the time you could by a climbing system for every stand (or that new retractable seat belt style gizmo). Has anyone tried the retractable?

Eric

5. staying connected

Huntin...... you bring up a great point of "staying connected". For you nimble souls that use climbers, you can harness in going up and down. For those of us that use ladder stands, how do you stay connected going up and coming down.

I know I make sure I have nothing in either hand while my hands are always in contact with the ladder. I also make sure my tread in the boots are clean and take it slowly going up and coming down. How else can you tie yourself when using a ladder?

Oldrookie

6. I just got one of those Hunters Safety System vest things from my parents for christmas those things are the ticket. I cant wait to use them. I do know that Summit makes a rope type device that you can hang from your stand once placed and hook into that. so you are always attached to a safety rope at all times. Another tip is never use anything natural for a step or hand hold. Wood rots and becomes brittle. DO NOT trust it at all. Dont carry anything up or down with you. Always use a tow line, etc. etc. Most of this stuff is probably repetitive to most.

7. climbing system

Oldrook, you can find the climbing system on the summit or cabelas sites. The rope and prussic knot are pretty cheap. That would work for any type of stand as far as keeping you connected. It all pretty much is mountain climbing type stuff. The new retractable belt looks pretty cool, though. I might try it next year. I saw it in Bowhunter mag. and there is a web site, I can't remember it right now.

Eric

8. retractable

The system that retracts is made by fallguy.Lagistically, if your climbing a ladder then the safety rope would not only need to be around the tree but the ladder as well.

old rookie

9. hey huntin!! if you can remember that websight post it. i've seen those and want to get some to go with my safety vest.

10. When I think back to some of the stuff I used to do when I first started deer hunting it makes me cringe that I was so unsafe and fortunate to not get hurt or killed. :bonk: Nailing pallets in trees to use as a stand, using tree limbs as a stand, nailing 2x4's to trees for steps, not using any type of fall restraints or hookup while in a tree, fell asleep several times and almost fell out of the tree...stop it, I'm scaring myself. STAY SAFE.

11. I usually hunt deer by myself so one safety factor I add is letting someone (my wife) know where I'll be, what stand I'll be hunting (have even drawn her maps) and about when I'll be back.

2nd factor...cell phone, it's off when I'm hunting, but damned if I'd go in the woods without it anymore, this is a biggie that's saved me in the past.

12. I Purchased A Hunters Safety System A Couple Seasons Ago And Love It, It Or Something Similar Is Highly Recomended. Because It Is Sewed Into The Vest Putting It On Is Simple, Only Drawback Is That Is A Little Warm In Early Season.

I Modifiyed It, Exchanging The Included Tree Strap With A Loop And Prussic Knot. This Allows Me To Easily Move It Up The Tree With Me As I Assend Or Decend. Also Clear The Ground Below You Of Logs, Upturned Sapplings Or Other Items That Could Impale You If You Did Fall On Them.

Take The Time To Do It Right, Spend The Extra Money On Good Equipment, Your Family, Friends, And Employer, Will Be Glad Yo Did.

13. Like most guys, "I know what's safe" and what's not safe... the problem is we don't always do what we know is right.

I've always said that I never climb the ladder without both hands free. Well, that is until the day that just seems perfect and you know it's going to produce so you don't want to "waste" a couple minutes tieing your bow onto the haul line. Combine that 1 time with the inexperience to sink your ladder stand into the ground and YOU WILL get thrown 12' to the ground as the stand torques around the tree! :dizzy:

So,
    (1) NEVER climb with something in your hands. It doesn't matter if you use a ladder, a tree stick, screw-in steps, etc.

(2) If you use a ladder stand, sink it into the ground up to the first step. If you don't, the ground can get soft from rain and the like, and big winds will blow swaying the tree, and the connection (even a chain with a turnbuckle) will loosen up. Then, when your head gets to the 16' platform and the stand begins to spin around the tree... oh yeah, did I mention this is complicated by the 1 time you happen to decide to carry your bow up the ladder... you will be thrown to the ground... which is typically hard and has fallen sticks, limbs, thorn bushes, etc lying around.

(3) Realize that keeping your hunting knife on your back hip probably is not essential. A backpak or fannypak is a better place. Hopefully, you don't have to fall 12' to realize the knife could have gone into your back.

... and thankfully when I fell I came out alright... and maybe a little smarter.

14. Fall Guy?????

I'm not opposed to using mountain climbing gear, but just how high do they expect you to go in that daggum tree??? I mean come on....

As far as what safety harnass I use... I make my own. Fallguy seems like the wrong name for a fall restraint system...so I call mine the "Don't fall and break your melon/back/arms/legs" restraint system. Don't you agree that this gets the point acrossed to the consumer a little better than the "Fall Guy"??? That's like some weird oxymoronish title...er, something.

15. safety belts/harnesses save lives and injuries, plain and simple. Just like a helmet on a motorcycle. funny you have to wear a seat belt in your car, but not a helmet on a motorcycle, never could understand that one

I had an ex hunting partner tell me that saftey harnesses are more dangerous , he said even if he fell from a 20 foot stand the soft dirt would cushin his landing. I told him it isn't the soft dirt i am worried about, it is the saplings, fence post, tree limbs and climbing steps I am worried about. he just laughed at me and said I was stupid. I sure hope I don't read about him one day in the paper.