close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Saltwater damage?

Discussion in 'Boating and Boat Rigging' started by bigling97, Jul 25, 2006.

1. O.K. boys need your help here. Found a boat from an insurance guy who wants to sell it. It was in a storage place when Katrina hit and was flooded. The boat, from the pitures (good quality) that I have seen looks really good except for a crack on the windshield.My question is what kind of damage in the engine side of things can I expect from a motor that was under salt water for God knows how long? It is a Merc 175. The boat if a 1999 Nitro 882 its is a great looking boat and for 4,000.00 I am having a hard time saying no. Let me know what you think.
    Thanks everyone.

2. The motor wasn't running in saltwater, so I would say once it is completely dried out, you should be fine....maybe?

3. saltwater highly corrosive thats all I know

4. i'd buy it the price is right. when you get it home before you ever run it. i would drain and refill the lower unit. pull the spark plugs and try to get a good look in there.if its rusted up you might need to get it looked at by a pro. but i dont think it should be to bad. if you want some good info on bass boat related issues go to BASSBOATCENTRAL.COM there are a lot of guys on there that will help you out.

5. I'd look around for used outboards too. If it checks out and runs great...if not and you need to replace it, would you still be $ ahead? Sounds like you would be. Electrical connections to lights and switches may well be a concern too, but that's little stuff.

6. What do you guys think about the saltwater getting in the carbs and in the cylinder head and pitting them out?

7. I would think very carefully before buying a saltwater boat of any type. A couple of three reasons;

1. The brine corrodes aluminum every part inside and out even without being underwater. (Saltwater boats have saccrificial diodes on the lower unit to slow the errosion process.)
    2. If the boat was underwater for any amount of time the stringers may have water damage, and certainly have mold on them now as it's highly unlikely that the insurance co is going to tear up the floor of the boat to get rid of mold, more likely than not they just dried it out. This mold will turn to rot which over time will weaken the structural soundness of the boat.

3. Unless you have unlimited amounts of time, and an equal supply of cash to throw into repairs & rebuilding I would steer away from this one, most guys run out of patirnce, and money (usually in that order) and end up letting a half finished project boat go for just enough to recoup the money they have in the repairs.
    Unless there is a warrantee of some sort, which usually isn't the case, I would say "Buyer beware". A lot of these hurricane boats are peddled to folks up north who feel they cannot turn down such a great deal, but after a few months realize the south has carpet baggers too!:banghead3

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2006
  8. If the people down there dont want it I say Leave it alone....There's plenty of people buying that kind of stuff down there....It would have to be real CHEAP!!!!