close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sawtooth oak - anyone here have/plant any?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by j-bird, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Anyone here have any exp with sawtooth oaks? I'm looking at some, but with them being a non-native I am having a difficult time finding out much about them. Any info is appreciated.

2. I got them on my farm they are loaded this year its the only thing that non native my dont drop till middle of oct through nov i got at state nursery about 13 years ago they dont sell them anymore

3. I hear they grow fast and produce early......do you recall roughly what sort of time frame it took yours? Obviously within 13 years - which is pretty good enough. What sort of soil conditions are yours in. Do the deer like the acorns...do they produce every year?

4. They produce in four years every year but last year yes the deer love them they were planted on good crop ground

5. I'm working on getting my hands on some acorns - I'm excited. I hear the stump sprout well and provide great ground level cover as well. I am thinking of lining my plots in a manner as to eventually thin them and keep a few larger trees while reducing the others to shrubs.

6. How many acorns do you need

7. I have a source on another forum where I am trading some paw-paw for some. I am not sure just how many I will be getting - If I need more, I'll give you a shout.

Do you know if the acorns need to be stratified before planting?

8. I would recommend staying with natives. If you need a fast growing producer I've been growing persimmons for a few years I have some that have fruit produced in 5 years. Deer tear them up too. The state sells them every spring for good prices.

Davers likes this.
  9. Yes then do have to be stratified or just push them this fall

10. I totally agree with trying to stick with natives. The fact that they hold their leaves AND produce a desirable mast crop is what has my attention. In some areas I intend on simply using them for cover, while in others I will be more interested in them for their acorns. To get the same thing out of a native oak would take me 10 years or more. I have nothing against persimmons except that most drop well before november, they don't hold leaves well AND in most cases you need a male and female tree and you don't know what you have until they are old enough to produce. You could easily have 10 years invested in a few trees to find you have all male or all female trees and you still have no fruit.

Davers likes this.
  11. Thanks Heny Co - I have about 100 acorns or so in the fridge now. I will find a few places for them come spring and see how things go.

12. I have three Sawtooth oaks that I transplanted as seedling 17 years ago growing in my yard. I picked up over 30 gallons of acorns this year and have been doing so for the last 5 years each fall. Deer love them. I put them out and put cameras in front. Usually a momma and her fawns will eat every one of them in one setting. I have planted 100's seedlings in my area. At 53 I probably will not get any return, but someone will have a great place to hunt in the future and I know the deer will be happy. Sawtooth oaks are fine looking trees, are very hardy as seedlings, mature fast and produce a lot of mast. People complain about them being non native trees. Most of us are non native in reality.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  13. Well I thought I would tack this one to this thread. I received 100 sawtooth acorns from a buddy of mine in KS. I direct seeded some along the edges of my plots in small cages and I planted some in the woods and I planted a few in containers. The ones in containers at the house are doing great and 11 of the 12 germinated. They are in the dog kennel to keep the critters from stealing the acorns!
    june 3 porch sawtooths.jpg

The others I direct seeded in my plots are lagging behind (I assume because of lower soil temps) but are germinating and growing as well. I have had about a 75% success rate with these over all.
    june 3 N plot sawtooth.jpg

I need to track down the ones in the woods (I marked them with red flags) and see how they are doing.....last I checked a few weeks ago I was not able to find any signs of germination of them, but again if my soil temp theory holds water they would take longer to show up.

14. Steve

Steve Admin Mod

What kind of soil do they require?

15. Well drained acid soil with a pH of <6.0.