close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SCARED at night

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by coonslayer21, Sep 10, 2006.

1. This here is a thread i found on MichiganSportsman.com. So who gets spooked(scared) being out in the woods at night lets all be honest? i am 6 ft. 160 lbs. i'm a light weight i know.There was honestly only one time i ever got spooked, last year walking to my stand i heard something like a LOUD screech or scream, which honestly made stop in my tracks for a GOOD while, sounded like some kind of primate or maybe some kind of bigfoot creature:confused: that is the best way i could describe the sound. Still to this day i still can't figure out what the heck made that sound, it wasn't anything i have ever heard before. Lets hear ya'lls strange happenings. :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

2. there's been a couple times i got spooked. going in and haveing a pack of cyote's close and yelping their heads off and it's pitch black and you can't see and it sounds like their in the same area. another time i heard a loud scream that just about made me jump out of my camo. i thik it may have been a fox. :yikes:

3. 'Bout pee in my pants every time I almost step on a snipe walking back to the truck!

4. I've heard the odd screams in the dark as well, very unnerving.

other than that....skunks skunks skunks, little buggers are all over the trail I use to hike back into the woods.

5. One time walking into the woods one morning in total darkness a covey of quail busted out and I about needed a new pair of pants. On another similar occassion a tree load of turkeys took off, my heart missed a few beats on that one too.

6. I haven't had a problem, glad I'm in Indiana where I'm at the top of the food chain. No bears, cougars, rattlesnakes (yes I am aware of the masauga up north here), scorpions, etc. etc. Oh wait,........ their out there you just gotta know how to hunt them.........Do you suppose mature bucks and bears, cougars, and the like bed and feed in the same areas?:bonk:

7. i get scared on opening day of shotgun season walking to my stand. I keep a flashlight pointed up, out front of me, I think the scariest thing is hearing shots off in the distance when you cant even see your hand at arms length away from your face. that scares me the most.

8. YES on that....:hide:

9. Bout same story here, except I almost stepped on a possum when walking to the stand. The possum never saw me and I almost didn't either. Then when I gave a kick for scaring me, it turned around and started hissin... LOL

Stupid Possum.

Alan

10. Walked a mile and a half from my treestand to my truck one night. Had coyotes or something growling at me the entire walk home. At one point I could see 4 sets of eyes behind me when I flashed my flashlight during this walk. Mind you it was bow season and I was young and dumb (16years old) by only carrying 3 arrows.

Heart still races thinking about it!!!

11. stand off

Got in a stand off with a big buck in the dark early Oct. last year the weekend it was so cold. Thought I could hunt the morning if I got in the stand in the dark an hour before daylight. Wrong! He was standing in the dark by the tree my stand was in. Probably a 4.5yr old 140" eight point weighing in at 250lb on the hoof. Just stood there looking at my flashlight for a tense couple minutes moving his head around, I had the wind on him so he was trying to figure out what I was. He finally walked off and I almost got a shot at him a couple hours later. I probably won't hunt a morning (all afternoons) in October this year, it is almost not worth it. I was more pissed off than scared.

Eric

12. Damn Coyotes

GOT ALOT OF VOICETEROUS COYOTES IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS. I TELL YOU WHEN LEAVING MY STAND AT NIGHT, THEIR SCREAMS CAN MAKE ME PUT A LITTLE EXTRA GIDDYUP IN MY STRIDE BACK TO THE TRUCK. ONE ON ONE I DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THEM, BUT WHEN THEY PACK UP, I GET NERVIOUS.

DITTOS ON THE FIREARMS OPENING DAY CONCERN. I REMEMBER HUNTING MICHIGAN`S OPENING FIREARMS DAY ON PUBLIC GROUND. I THOUGHT I WAS RE ENACTING D-D AY LANDINGS ON OMAHA BEACH. NEVER AGAIN.

13. As someone mentioned in another post, now about the only thing that bothers me is walking past the cows...never quite sure if the stare down is going to get serious.
    When I started deer hunting I hunted on the ground. Even though I knew nothing was going to hurt me, I always had my gun loaded or an arrow in my hand until sunrise. Everytime a leaf cruched or a bird screeched, my heart jumped and my imagination went wild.
    When my little ones complain about being scared to go downstairs, I just think back and laugh.

14. Not so much at night, but the early morning hunts I have seen racoons in the same tree I was hunting,,that has made me nervous!