Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Depends on what public land you hunt and what area you hunt. On Wilbur Wright which is small about 1200 acres. Youd be blessed to see any deer much less shooter bucks on that piece of public property. On Brookville Lake yea sure there are plenty of giants lerking around but the difference of them walking out at any time of day completely changes bc they know they are hunted. Bow hunters see deer all times of the day and then boom are lucky to see anything during daylight after gun season ends. I'm sure I can get a majority of bow hunters as a collective or try too anyway and put a statistic together of deer sightings before and after gun season and I'm sure you will be able to see the numbers. There are countless postings all over the internet and on here even of bow hunters saying its pointless after gun season. Again depends on the public property you hunt. On the ones I hunt that hasn't been the case. I'm not blaming others or making excuses. Fact is Fact whoever you are. I didn't fail I had a tremendous deer season in the woods and passed several deer most people consider a shooter buck so yea I loved the 2018 season it was just frustrating had any of those bucks been a booner I'd have bone on the ground. I turned a doe completely into jerky and had meat the entire deer season. Yea it was an awesome year for sure.
Why do you complain about gun hunters? If you were that good, you would have killed that BC before gun season started.
Oh - by the way, I am a bowhunter. Chance are, I been bowhunting before you were born, so stop the excuses.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Entitled? Ok after graduating high school with a great GPA I decided I wanted to serve my country. Did so Honorably for 4 years US Air Force Dyess AFB Texas. I have worked at the same Financial institution since the day I got out of the military so now going on 12 years. Entitled? I'm not entitled for a damn thing I earn everything I have and work for everything I have. I don't take hand outs or Freebies. I do not need to show off anything. I can tell you I have several nice deer to my name nothing to show off bc they aren't booners but yes I have 2 P&Y deer. I do know for a fact that Booners are killed on and around Brookville Lake every year. I have trail cam pics of 2 and saw 2 that borderline 160' bucks. Does that mean they will stay there? No. Am I dumb to think they will no? I still have hopes. I don't go straight to killing Booners. I actually started out as a gun hunter growing up in Mississippi. So to say I don't know its easier is false. I can tell you that my uncle shot a doe with my gun at 500 yards which was a .270 savage. Here let me take my PSE and My savage and shoot 500 yards and see which would be more accurate. ENTITLED? I'm not entitled to a damn thing. I get out, I stomp miles and miles each spring and summer attempting to find the best place possible to hunt. I don't ask people where to hunt or get help from. I did for Big Oaks but you can't scout that property. I don't ask people where to fish or give up honey holes. I'm not entitled to a damn thing. I don't need a damn thing from nobody I take pride in earning my way. I do take offense to that because I've never had a damn thing given to me in this world. I earned it. HunterDan Lets take a 1,000 acre property and put 40 Bow Hunters on that property. Then lets take 40 gun hunters on that proprety. Which property would you think would be destroyed more?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Naw I'm good as I stated I don't have to prove a thing. I am proud of my accomplishments which is why I was bored with killing small bucks. I got bored not getting an exciting feeling. I wanted what all the others have and thats a cut up proud feeling doing backflips to kill a giant not just small bucks. I got tired of getting the feeling that I won't be able to kill anything bigger and 2 years in a row I saw a monster after tagging out and that killed my vibe for small bucks. I let them grow. Again there is nothing wrong with the let them grow mentality. Legally there is nothing wrong with gun hunters. But if you say that Public Land gun hunters which alot of people dont have respect or common sense, like this year. I hunted Brookville on a far far back bean field right, the last day of gun season I see two yayhoos walking back towards the road and they got about 60 yards from me and turned one of them pointed his shotgun at the ground and popped off 4 rounds into the dirt. Now you tell me that is NOT damaging? No telling how many people do that stuff. But you say its not harder after Gun Season. I can shoot my bow 10 times into the ground and nothing could hear it 30 yards away. I don't have to show off my trophies thats not the point in all my booner or nothing status. Its the excitement I will get once I get my booner and a mindset to not give in like most do thats why I'm proud

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Seeing 14 of which I'd say 7 were mature bucks and getting within 7 feet of mature does each of the bucks within 40 yards, 2 over 140" yea. I'd say I'm doing pretty good for Public Land I just haven't seen the Booner yet.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Your right I do not have 1 single Booner to my name. One day I will. I've killed dinks. I've killed decent ones and 2 very respectable ones. But no not 1 Booner yet. Your right. Nothing to be ashamed of, I can tell you that. I won't be ashamed of it. Its difficult to kill a Booner on Private ground much less what I'm trying to do and kill one on Public Land lol.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You may believe what you wish. You have no affect on absolutely anything. One day I'll post the Booner I do get on public land with my bow and be able to say I told you so. My past deer don't matter this is the challenge I set out for myself last year and I'll stick to it unless I'm on Big Oaks. I'll use my Gpas single shot 16 guage slug gun for that hunt. Again everyone is entitled to theyre own opinion, even if its a terrible opinion. Have a good night Titanium.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It’s time to post those pics of your p&y’s because I’m quite sure that nobody believes you at this point. There’s nothing wrong with not killing a big buck but done lie about it and say you have.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have 33 deer seasons under my belt. I have killed 6 what I consider "big bucks". I killed a LOT of small bucks in years past and quite frankly, hunting was somewhat more enjoyable back then. I have no problems with people legally killing whatever they choose, it's personal choice. Other than draw hunts, roughly 95% of my hunting is done on my own farm ( 135 acres - 100 tillable). I can say without hesitation I am the only one who hunts my ground. It isn't a honey hole by any means,but it holds deer. I never fired a shot all year and after Christmas I saw 0 deer in 5 solid sits. Gun hunting does spook deer,but the end of the rut causes nocturnal movement and no movement as much as anything.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I come up there every muzzleloader season (obviously after gun season) and hunt public land. We never fail to see deer. My friend was 30yrds or so from a true "booner" as yall call em but it was behind him so he couldn't get a good angle. I was there too, so it was true.

Instead of complaining about how your precious public land spot is ruined by gun hunters, I suggest finding you a better piece of public ground to hunt on. Ya'll are truly blessed with terrific places up there.

·
Registered
391 Posts
what a thread. see what you get for posting your year in review. lol

your a trophy hunter that likes the challenge of getting close with a bow. that's about the opposite of what I am. these days I like to get it over on opening day. its cool to blast one at 10yrds with any weapon. personally I dont think we should be hunting with bows(even though I do some) I feel there are way too many deer lost/wasted by hunters that take bad shots with bad equipment. at least I hear a lot of stories threw the seasons.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts