Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i see there's a plan now on capitol hill to sell national forest land. in 32 states. i think this will be just a start. get rid of our public land. if you want to view the article it's at www.espnoutdoors.com what's your alls take on this !!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
There was article about this in our local newspaper recently. There are already groups fighting against the sale. I can't be sure of the acerage, but I think they wanted to sell about 500 acres in the Hoosier National Forest. Most if not all of it will go to timber sales. I don't see why they have to sell to timber companies. They could still log parts of the forest without selling it.

·
Premium Member
5,121 Posts
Sell federal land, lease out the toll road, raise property taxes...... what else? Seems to be a revolving door of horse *****. Everything costs more,what can an honest God fearing, taxpaying, outdoorsman really do?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
land !!

well i'll try this again. lost the 1st message. well it's getting to the point that they will slide these types of bills through without much publicity and it's going to be a runaway train. wasn't lottery tickets supposed to take care of our school systems and roads? the only time you heard the state talk about that was when they were trying to get it passed. well this is federal and once they start this i mean taking small chunks of our public land there are so many personal interest groups with their own personal agenda that influence the senate and congress that i don't think anyone can think they won't want their hand in the pot. if i sound gloom and doom forgive me i don't mean to but i've seen 1st hand what loggers can do to a big ridge full of hickory and poplar and oak. i'm not going to argue the point that timber doesn't need to be managed but when you can rape a ridge of all the 14" and up trees and can see for miles that's what will likely happen. i really don't think the fed. gov. will be monitering anything. all their going to see is the big fat checks for their personnel agenda. what of all the slag and erosion that will flow into the watersheds???? if in fact this takes place and i'm not saying anyone can do much about it but let me plant a seed. i know bowhunters and fisherman want their children & grandchildren to have something that we enjoy when we are gone. what if!!!!!!!! and i've seen this work. why can't hunters and outdoors people hunters from indiana form a coalition and pull their money and buy shares of some of this property for hunting and have a deed entitlement that could be passed down to children and grandchildren. i have no idea what this land would sell for but 2 or 3 thousand hunters pulling their money might be able to own a chunk of it. how proud would that be to leave your kids or grandkids something of that nature. i know it can be done cause i know a thousand acre hunting property doing it right now. OR is the alternitive to turn our head and let this slip through our fingers !!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
INBowhunter said:
Is there a way to find what land they plan to sell? I hunt some of the HNF in Crawford Co. from time to time.
it's my guess that we'll just have to find out info as it is available. it's hard for me to believe that there won't be any opposition from this. i would also say that without a team effort it would be hard to compete with the big timber co.'s i would say they have their special interest people taking position right now. but if we pay attention info should become available. (hopefully)

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Selling land????

I was getting ready to get some sleep last night when i heard something on Jay Leno that made me go huh... Apparently Bush is thinking about selling some of our ports to foreign investors, yeah just like the toll road thing. Apparently the Port of New York is being sold to one of three countries that openly supports the Al-Queda. Now does that make anyone else go what the hell.....?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
trdtnlbwhntr said:
I was getting ready to get some sleep last night when i heard something on Jay Leno that made me go huh... Apparently Bush is thinking about selling some of our ports to foreign investors, yeah just like the toll road thing. Apparently the Port of New York is being sold to one of three countries that openly supports the Al-Queda. Now does that make anyone else go what the hell.....?
quite honostly it's a new world we are living in. i mean it's something very disturbing every day. let's see now just in the past yr. we have a supreme court justice approve iminent domain which means they can confiscate your property for any reason that justifies their agenda, they can sell our public land to satisfy their hunger for money, scandels in the capitol are rampid, we can't even say merry christmas anymore and feel normal. now we are giving arabs (terrorists) our waterways. it's getting so sickening it's crazy. i mean should anything surprise us anymore? makes you wonder what the next 5 yrs. will bring. yikes !!!!!!!!!!:coco:

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
trdtnlbwhntr said:
hey trdnl bowhunter!! just curious. have you ever hunted the pioneer weopons area of the daniel boone nat'l forest in ky. i think they only allow flinlock and the regular black powder guns not inlines and recurves and long bows. it's a huge area if i'm not mistaken about 150,00 acres. beautiful area. just wondering.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
not all gloom and doom

It isn't all bad. We still have the right people in office (federal and state) to protect our right to hunt and own firearms. There is still plenty of good public hunting in Indiana. Supporting groups like NRA and DU that lobby government helps to support our cause.

Eric

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
trdtnlbwhntr said:
this is a done deal...front page of our newspaper today read "Bush says sale will stand"....what a crock...$$$$...it's all about the mint $$$$

·
Registered
143 Posts
goggleye57 said:
The article I saw was said it mostly on the west coast.
BLOOMINGTON, IND. -- Southern Indiana conservationists say they expect Indiana's environmental groups to band together to oppose a federal plan to sell off nearly 870 acres of the Hoosier National Forest.

The land sale is part of a national plan to sell about 200,000 acres of federal property to fund a rural schools program. Last year, that program funneled $380 million to rural schools around the nation, said Hoosier National Forest spokesman Franklin Lewis.

But Indiana forest advocate Andy Mahler calls the plan an "outrageous proposal." He said most of the money generated by the land sales would go to logging states, with more than half of it going to Oregon.

"The local schools here in rural Indiana will get virtually nothing out of these sales," he told The Herald-Times for a story published Saturday. "It will be the real estate brokers making the money."

Mahler, whose Orange County home is on property adjacent to the Hoosier National Forest, said he expects environmental groups to mount a strong protest to the proposed sale.

"I think you will see virtually every organization that works on forest protection issues doing what they can to raise awareness about this," he said.

Lewis said the U.S. Forest Service has historically paid counties a portion of the proceeds from timber sales generated from local land because the federal government does not pay property taxes on the land.

But Congress created the new program as timber cutting declined from about 12 billion board feet a year in the early 1990s to just 3 billion board feet last year.

Drew Laird, policy director of the Indiana Forest Alliance, said timber cutters should have been reimbursing counties all along.

"Timber companies should have been required to pay monies into a trust fund to fund schools after they cut and ran from rural communities," Laird said.

Lewis said the proposed sales, which still need congressional approval, account for just 0.004 percent of the Hoosier National Forest, which covers about 200,000 acres in segments stretching between Bloomington and the Ohio River.

The 24 parcels identified for sale are either isolated or located away from roads and often have no way for the public to gain access, he said.

Some of the land was willed to the federal government when the owners died. The largest tract, 80 acres in Brown County just north of Christiansburg, has no public access and is not contiguous to other land in the national forest, Lewis said.

The proposed land sale consists of parcels in seven Indiana counties. Those include: 80 acres in Brown County; 238 acres in Crawford County; 40 acres in Jackson County; 155 acres in Lawrence County; 152 acres in Martin County; 157 acres in Orange County and 46 acres in Perry County.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
As a person pursuing the field of teaching, why does it come down to selling stuff in order to fund an education budget? Holy smokes cant we find money somewhere else in someones over flowing budget or POCKET? I have been looking at the trend of education in this state, as much as I want to stay here when i finally get my degree, it doesnt look like anybody will be able to afford to pay me.... I know there are teachers that are members here any advice for an incomer to teaching. is it worth it? is the peace of mind, knowing that i will like what im doing in the end, worth possibly not getting job and having a degree that is rendered useless??? Sorry to change the subject just post around me and keep this subject going....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts