close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Serious question

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by ccavacini, Sep 18, 2005.

1. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

This happened to me last winter...just want some opinions...I have access to some private land close to Kendallville to hunt pheasant.

Last winter I went there on a Sunday to get a couple of hours of hunting. After awhile, I noticed a guy in a tree stand in a fence row, facing the area we were hunting. I walked up and asked if he had seen any deer.

He said, "Did you have to pheasant hunt on the second day of opening weekend?"

I didn't say anything but just ended our hunt right there and walked back to the car.

I was on land I had permission to hunt...he was obviously on land he had permission to hunt, but was watching the field I was in and the corn field off to the side.

Did I ruin his hunt? Didn't make a big deal of it, but thought I'd leave and leave everything to him.

Sometimes I wish we did what Michigan does...close pheasant season from Nov. 14 to Dec. 15 to keep pheasant and deer hunters away from each other. Then they open the pheasant season back up till Jan. 1.

2. It's a good question. It's also one of the pit falls of hunting in Indiana where land to hunt can be hard to come by. Sounds to me like you delt with the situation in an ethical manor.

Last year, there was a cold dark morning, I was going to hunt a stand that sat on the edge of a picked field. I didn't use a flashlight to hike in, I knew the trail well, and don't like to use a light any more than I'd need to. I settle into my stand, sun starts to rise, expectations are high....then honk, Boom, honk, Boom, honk, Boom...

My stand was close to a field just off our property, where the guy's there had set up in the dark for a nice goose hunt. I certainly didn't ruin thier day, and I doubt they even knew I was there. I was a little erked, but it's just going to happen. Part of being a sportsman in my mind, is understanding we all use a limited space. We may not like it, but we do have to accept it, and cherish the days we find ourselves in the field when the game, the dogs, and the weather is just right, and there's not a soul in sight. Those are to good days.

3. unless that guy had permission to hunt that land he shouldnt even be facing that way. Most people will assume that the way you have your stand facing is the way u plan on shooting a deer. if he was to shoot a deer on that property without permission it is the same thing as poaching.

But i agree with the way you handled it. especially with the amount of crazy people out there. I definetly have been thinking twice about who i approach since that mess over in Wisconson happened last year.

4. nother question

Not to steal the thread, but it makes me wonder what I can do about my problem... I hunt in my grandpa's field, right close to a little woods that I rarely hunt in, just in my grandpa's field close and right beside the woods. I know the guy who farms the land with the woods, and he has never said anything about hunting in the woods which I have done on occasion. These ppl that I know, ask and get permission to hunt the wooded area. Fine by me I will stay in my field. Problem is they put both of there tree stands facing the field I hunt in, and walk back my grandpa's field to get to there stands. Not only do they tresspass to get to the stands but they obviously hunt my field. :bash: Now the most annoying thing ever, I like to by sitting by 4pm, he walks back through there at 5 or 5:30pm. What can I say to him to not be an enemy but tell him I don't appreciate it. It really pisses me off when he does this. He did get one treestand stolen,(not by me), probably by the guy that used to hunt the woods, which is a nephew to the farmer that farms the field. I won't even start talking about him though.:banghead3 Not that I recommend shooting somebody, but I have though about target practicing in that field( the woods is straight back from my parents house) while he is back there some evening. I target practice in the field all the time anyway, I generally try make shure nobody is back there or not shoot after October first.

Any Ideas,
    Alan

(EDIT): Sorry forgot to say this is about deer hunting of course.

5. It would proabaly make the guy mad but i would have the DNR settle the situation. That way there is now he said she said bull crap.