close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sharing the Lakes

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by Slowretrieve, Aug 5, 2005.

1. I would like to see our state split up the use of our major lakes: Mississinewa, Salamonie, Huntington, Raccoon, Cataract, Brookville, Monroe and Patoka--that's eight lakes--and let the pleasure boaters use half the lakes on even years and the other half go to the fishermen. During odd years we switch. It would give the world a rest from all that noise and commotion in the years that the pleasure boaters are absent, and it would give the fish a rest during the years that the fishermen are no there. Think of a lake without pleasure boaters.

2. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

At Lake George we have swans....the swans go after jet skiers......

I say More Swans...spread them out on the lakes....:)

3. In theory that is a great idea. But how many of the local economies would be hurt by such a trade off? I like what Tri-Lakes up north of Columbia City does. The water skiers and such only get 4-5 hours a day. It is like noon to 4 or 5 pm.

4. Where I used to live there was only one good sized lake (and it was over-crowded), so they made a rule that if your boat registration # ended in an odd number you got be on the lake Monday, Wed, Friday, and if it was an even number you got Tues, Thurs, Sat. Sunday was for everyone (not many people went Sundays). Since most people wanted to go on Saturdays, it was rotated on a monthly basis which boats got to go. For example, odd #'s went Tue, Thur, Sat in July, and then Mon, Wed, Fri, in August. That worked pretty good-there we still pleasure boaters, but not as many, and there were still anglers. Plus, the local economies didn't seem to be hurt by it, at least not in the long run.

5. The swans would be fun to watch, I am sure, but I like the idea of the timed usage of the lakes. I really don't have a problem with the pleasure boats and jet skis, but the poeple who operate them-man. I am impressed that this year the CO's are out in such numbers on most lakes. I feel safer, especially on lakes like Monroe where DNR hasn't been very active for the past several years and the lake became a real wild west show. I always look forward to sunset when the lake quiets down and the pleasure boaters crawl into the coves. Unfortunately, the DNR leave, too, and the pleasure boat activity goes on at least an hour past sunset. It's a good law, the 10 mph after sunset, but only as good as the enforcement.

6. Tell you what guys, I am on the Board of Directors for the Barbee Chain if lakes, if any here reading this fish those lakes I encourage you to join the BLPOA, and then voice your complaints about the pleasure boaters. I do so every meeting and think I am slowly making enemies..lol.. since I am darn near the only one on the board without a jetski or pleasure boat... If the lakes you fish have one of those asscociations, join them and have a say so about your lake. Seriously guys.. I went to two meetings and ended up on my b.o.d. that quick.. I'll make some kinda difference... you can too. Many of these organizations say they are Property Owner asscociations(BLPOA= Barbee Lakes Property Owners asscociation), all that means is thats the targeted group, not the only ones who can join. Go to these meetings, voice your opinion(carefull how you do so of course as the nicer you are the better they seem to listen).. Barbee Chain I'd be happy with 9am to 6pm on big barbee rather then 5 miuntes after sunup to 5 minutes before sundown..

7. 25 days until Labor Day and the end of pleasure boaters as we know them. Oh! to be among considerate adults with a love for the earth, water and sky once again.