close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shedding velvet..........

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by Fish Hook, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Fish Hook

Fish Hook Banned

I read an old article in Deer and Deer Hunting magazine that was pretty interesting. A buck can go from full velvet to completely clean stag in just a few hours. The author noted that the velvet is uncomfortable to the deer and this is why we rarely see a buck with a partial velvet rack.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2007
  2. i believe it. out of all the trail cam pics i have, only a couple would have any loose velvet. extremely rare (at least for me) to see a deer like that.

3. Yes it is true that a buck can clean his rack up in just few hours. I got watch a buck in Montana in 2001 do this. When I first saw him he was in full velvet, over the next 1 1/2 hours he rubbed small bushes and trees to clean it off. He also was eating the velvet as it came off in the brush. That was one of the coolest things that I have ever saw in the deer woods.

4. LH, I'll bet that was cool to see. I've never been able to see this in the wild, but I'd sure like to.

Bucks don't necessarily need trees and stuff to shed their velvet. Velvet will come off no matter if there are trees around, or not. One of the common misconceptions about velvet removal is that the intial rubs (I'm talkin' the first true rubs of the season) are made when bucks are "rubbing their velvet off". While they will no doubt utilize trees, shrubs,vegetation, etc. to help in the cause, they don't "rub" it off...so to speak.

Think of a giant non-typical with stickers, bumps, nooks and crannies everywhere....could they possibly rub it off of every little bump, crevice, etc.?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2007

5. DEAN!!! WHAT A TERRIBLE THING TO SAY ABOUT DEREK!!!! :evilsmile :evilsmile

6. Putting words into people's mouths...funny!