close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Spring ice-out methods?

Discussion in 'Indiana Pan Fishing' started by goggleye57, Feb 20, 2005.

1. What's your favorite way to fish for bluegills and crappies just after the ice goes out. What kind of areas and tactics, lures?

2. I usually hit the small shallow coves that have the wind blowing into them as they warm much faster. I mostly use a 1/32 oz hair jig tipped with a piece of crawler or wax worm, about 1' to 3' with a bobber. The waves give the hair jig enough action to attract the crappie.

Also have a lot of success using a small beetle spin & jig & grub body, using a very slow steady retrieve. Yellow seems to work best.

If the crappie have not moved into the coves yet, I usually chase the walleye.

As far as bluegills go, I don't chase them until warm weather. Since I rarely keep any catch, The bluegill spawn is of no interest to me.

This time of year fishing the coves, I hardly ever find the crappie relating to structure. I mostly find them suspending out in the middle of the coves until around late March early may. Depending on the weather & water temps.

Keep in mind, I'm talking east central Indiana. Location also plays a big part in how and where to chase crappie.

3. that would be in reservoirs? I'm sure it wouldn't be much different in our lakes. I often fish for bluegills in the Spring with a sinking wet fly. An ant or wooly worm kind of fly. A lot of guys around here fish for crappies in the spring with flies as well often white or pink streamers. But your warm cove practice is good advice:coolgleam

4. Yes, I was talking about reservoirs around here. Around 2 or 3 weeks later, I have gone up to northern IN (around warsaw area ) and fished some natural lakes using the same method, with the same results. I like using crickets if they can be found this time of the year. I'm not much of a fly man. I did purchase a fly-fishing rig, and plan to give it a try this year.

5. Try out that fly fishing its a lot of fun! Big bluegills and crappies are a blast:)

When you fly fish just don't work too hard at. Just relax and go with the flow.