close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Squirrel Hunting......

Discussion in 'Indiana Small Game Hunting' started by buck_hunter21, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Howdy all,
    I plan on going squirrel hunting this season. I have been before but this will be the first time I actually put time into it. I was just wanting to see what I should do to get set. I will be using a Remington 870 Mag that came with a full choke tube. Do I need to look into getting a different choke tube? Also, what type of ammo do I need to use? Just a few things I had questions about. If there is anything that I missed feel free to let me know what it is.

Thanks guys/gals,

2. I started squirrel hunting with a 20 ga., and I used #6's or #8's. Depends how much shot you want to pick through and whether you'd rather bite down on a large piece of shot or a small piece of shot. They both hurt like hell. Shotguns are nice during the early season when the foliage is heavy, but I'll take my .22 every time.

3. .22 here...all i have ever squirrel hunted with...

4. I have'nt been squirrel hunting in a long time, the meat is'nt worth the touble unless someone else has it already cooked and on the table, 12 gauge will butcher it and the only ones i like hunting for are the grays.

Ohh yeah don't forget the mosquito dope.........

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2007
  5. .22 is the way to go. You can sometimes shoot close to the nest and they will run out and you can blast them.

6. .22 is the only way to go, one shot in the head, its quick and clean and no shot to pick out of the meat. Find a good place to sit, around some oak tree's and pick'em off, if you sit long enough you can get your limit without ever moving.

7. Squirrel hunting

I use a .410 with a full choke. It is the only time I get to hunt with that little gun, so I always take that. I use #8 shot.

8. All I use for squirrels is Deet and my trusty .410.

If you'd have been at my house for supper last Sat. night, you'd know the time spent hunting squirrels is well worth it!!! Freezer's empty of tree rats now, so I'm ready for Aug. to roll around.

9. I have a gun with is 410 on the bottom and 22 on top it is great with squirrels.

10. .22. I cant imagine getting one of those critters with a 12 gauge mag with a full choke pattern. I mean you would shoot it, tenderize it, and probably debone the meat, all in one shot. Get a used .22 rifle for around a 100 bucks and use that.

11. I think shooting at squirrel nests is illegal. Do yourself a favor in early season when the leaves are still on and use a shotgun. The .17 and .22 rifles are a lot more easy to use when the leaves are off, unless you have some unreal honey hole like a huge mature grove of mast trees.

12. I TOO ONLY USE A .22, EVEN IN EARLY SEASON, IT JUST SEEMS A LITTLE MORE SPORTING. IF YOU MUST USE THE 12 GA, I WOULD BACK OFF ON THE CHOKE, PERHAPS TO A MODIFIYED, AND GO FOR LOW BRASS SHELLS IN 6-8 SHOT SIZE. GET IN THE WOODS EARLY, BEFORE LIGHT, SIT AND LISTEN AND WATCH, THEN ADJUST YOUR POSITION AS NEEDED. SQUIRREL HUNTING CAN BE VERY ENJOYING AND A GREAT TIME TO SCOUT FOR THE UPCOMING ARCHERY SEASON. IT`S ALSO A GREAT OPPROTUNITY TO TAKE A YOUNG`N AND INTRODUCE THEM TO HUNTING.

13. Ruger 10/22 = squirrel etouffee

Good eatin'

14. .54 cal muzzloader does all the necessary work...just pick up the nugget sized chunks of meat!

15. i bounce back and forth between my ruger 10/22 and savage 17. the 17 is a quite a bit louder in the woods but you can make clean shots up to 100 yards or more. but, with the 17 if it misses the head and gets a little body, you're gonna loose some meat.