close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

strange happenings

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by FINS&GRINS, Jul 17, 2006.

1. lets hear some stories of the strangest things thats happened to you or that you have seen while hunting: wierd, funny,frightning,whatever!!!

2. Northern Lights

ONCE WHILE WALKING TO AN EARLY MORNING BOWSTAND AT MINNEHAHA F.W.A., I WITNESSED THE NORTHERN LIGHTS. IT WAS AROUND 1988-1989, I HAVE LITERALLY HUNTED EVERY WEEKEND ( OCTOBER THRU DECEMBER) SINCE THAT SATURDAY AND HAVE NOT SEEN THEM.. IT WAS A TRULY SPECTACULAR SIGHT, WORDS CANNOT DESCRIBE. I HOPE TO GET A CHANCE TO EXPERIENCE THEM AGAIN SOME DAY.

3. Several years ago, I had a pack of Coyotes follow me out of the woods in Late Bowseason. Thank the good lord there was snow on the ground where I was able to keep an eye on them while walking home (2 mile hike).

4. two seasons ago I watched the horniest 8 pointer in the world gore a doe because she wouldnt give it up. I couldnt stop laughing at these two deer. The buck kept getting around her and she would stand still just long enough for him to get up then she would run out from under him. This happened probably 5 or 6 times over 30 minutes and the last time he tried to mount her she turned around and nipped at his face. Then she went over and layed down while he stood there trying to figure out what the heck just happened. Then he just went over and squared up to her side looked at her a minute then stuck his antlers into her hind quarters and proceded to pummel the crap out of this doe. At this point it got scary almost. He was definately pissed, she finally got away from him and come by me, she had blood running out of her ham where he had punctured her. He followed behind her but wasnt trying to hurt her anymore. I think he made his point and was going back to get his piece. It was by far the wierdest thing I have seen while in the deer woods. Utterly amazing.

5. got one

Not while hunting, cat fishing the White River in Owen one night with a bud. About midnight the sky lit up and it was like daylight for about 3 seconds, then about 3 seconds later heard a loud "hum" noise (close encounters). Pretty sure it was a power sub-station transformer or something else frying because my buddy lost power for about a week around that time. Was a little worried for a few moments! I told my buddy, "man, you do have serious electrical problems around here"

6. was sitting on a deer stand one morning befor light and had a big owl swoop in and land on a limb about 3 ft. from my head he looked me straight in the eyes and sat there for what seemed like an hr. probably only a minute or two trying to fiquire out what i was then flew away pretty wild start to my morning got the old blood pumping early that morning

7. I had the exact same thing happen one time...pretty tense moments while he was looking at me. I couldn't take my eyes off those GIANT talons...:yikes:

8. teal got the last laugh

it was a slow day duck hunting and my good friends (in another boat) motored over to my set up to chat. when a sneaky bluewing buzzed in,the three hunters all stood up and took a shot at the same time. the momentuem and recoil and an unstable boat caused one shooter to roll off the back of the boat the front shooter also went out into the water as the blind capsized and the guy in the middle sat down but he still got wet becase the water was 2 inches deeper than his hip boots!!! once i knew they were all ok i started laughing until i almost pissed in my waders. p.s. they missed the teal!:dizzy:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2006
  9. several years ago on christmas day i decided to go to the woods all camoed up. it was snowing big flakes. i sit down on a steep bank watching some mallards in a bay and a redtailed hawk flew in this tree about eye level to me and hd a squirrel in his talons and comminced to hving his lunch. he never new i was around. he simply let go after awhile and flew off.

10. In 2004, on the second day of gun season, I had two bucks run a doe past me. The second buck stopped and made that lip curl clicking noise at about 20 yards. His left G2 was bright red for about 6 inches down from the tip. The blood wasn't even dry yet. Not sure if it came from the other buck, the doe, or another deer, but he had obviously gored someone. They were all three panting heavily, so I know they had came a long way.

11. i have two pretty good stories about a couple of fox. THe first i was sitting in my stand in northern indiana during late october well before the sun came up.. The moon was bright enough to illuminate six or seven deer in the field and I knew one was a buck because it went from deer to deer and chased a couple of them for a short distance. The sun came up and they wondered into the woods (away from me naturally) I took my attention off them and looked across a half cut bean field and a set aside field and saw something running and then getting yanked back like a dog on a leash. It turned out someone had put a foot hold trap on our property and caught a fox. I used one of my arrows and pushed his mouth away from me and then stepped on the sides of the trap and pulled his foot out with my other hand. He ran off about twenty yards and stopped looked back at me sat down licked his paw and then hopped into the weeds. We saw him and another one running together across that bean field two weeks later. Coolest thing ever when he turned around and looked at me.

The other story i was sitting in my stand in southern indiana and heard foot steps coming up a hillside.. Here came a fox over the hill with a small grey squirrel in his mouth. I watched him run across a log and jump down next to a tree he dug a hole, dropped the squirrel in it, then took very careful care to pick up each leaf individually and put it back on the squirrel. It was perfectly placed there wasnt a leaf that didnt look natural, it was amazing how careful he was he would put one down use his nose to nudge it around and then pick up another one. He coverd up everything even the dirt from where he dug the hole. When he finished he ran around the tree three or four times looking at it several times then hopped up on a log and started staring at something. About that time i looked over and there was another grey squirrel not paying attention headed right for him. The squirrel noticed him and probably had the thoughts of something like " ah chit, what the hell is he doing there. He wasnt there earlier. Where is the nearest tree? Freeze, stay, good doggie, ruuuuunnnnnn!" Im telling you he hit the top of the tree in about 2.2. The fox didnt budge, he hopped off the log and went back the way he came. It was pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2006
  12. THE SCARIEST THING I EVER HAD HAPPEN TO ME ,WAS IN 99 COON HUNTING OUR DOGS HAD TREED AS WE WERE GOING TO THEM PACK OF COYOTES FIRED UP BETWEEN US AND THEM LESS THEN 50 YARDS FROM US BEFORE WE COULD GET THE LIGHTS ON THEY WERE ON TOP OF US ENDED UP GETTING ONE OF THEM AT ABOUT FIFETEEN YARDS,I HAVE HUNTED THEM FOR A WHILE NOW AND NEVER SEEN THEM BE THAT AGGERSIVE:yikes: