close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Strutting Toms

Discussion in 'Indiana Turkey Hunting' started by M4Madness, Feb 28, 2006.

1. My wife is a former marathon runner who still runs 7 miles a day, 6 days a week. She runs the country roads near our rural home. Anyway, she passed this one hay field at around 9:00 AM this morning and saw 11 wild turkeys and two were in full strut. Sounds early to me, but it happened. Anyone see 'em strutting this time of year before?

Also, she had a coyote cross the road right in front of her this morning as well. She said it had something in its mouth -- which appeared to be a black house cat. :eek:

2. good coyote!!

I travel I65 daily seen strutting toms for two weeks now

3. Yes!

I love to see coyotes get feral cats! Fluffy, NO!!!!Saw a gobbler strut and heard him gobble about that same time two weeks ago. He was with a group of 20 other birds and was the only one strutting. I bet they get frisky tomorrow morning.

Eric

4. Reason for this!!

They are starting the old "Dominant Ritual" where Mature Toms establish an identity and a dominance zone. Where you saw the Turkeys all grouped up was where there winter zone was and still is. The biggest and badest Tom will establish the hierarchy of the breeding structure. After it has been established, jakes and two year olds will group together in there own bachelor group and wonder the forest aimlessly looking for a hen. Usually the 2yr old will compete for hens with the jakes, and they are all always on the search for that lovely lady. Thats why a lot of 2yr olds will be killed. Other Toms that are 3yrs or older, that did not become the top dawg, will move on to other locations usually within 500 yds but sometimes alot farther than that, to establish there own hierarchy!! The Boss Tom will stay in the location your seeing the birds in now!! They acquire a flock of hens and never leave them until each one has been breed over and over again. By the last week of the season all Toms will be vulnerable because most of the hens are sititn on the nest 27/7 by then. That is why the older birds are so hard kill. You have to get between them and there roosted hens and hope they fly down when you are in the middle of them. Usually this requires to be within 50yds or less of a roosted flock of hens. Which is almost impossible!! Or do most of your hunting the last week of the season,,,Not the first!! The reason you are hearing Tom's gobble and seeing them strut is because they are establishing the hierarchy. Muscle dominance plays a big part, but the one who can attract the most hens by showing off will become the dominant bird in most cases because the hens are attracted more to older Toms...Much like real life really!!:biggrin:

5. we have seen some out in franklin county and decatur already strutting

6. My Gobbler Fever Is Steadily Rising !!

7. FireLt72

FireLt72 Staff Member Mod

I have been out looking, but my areas I hunted around last year are turkey less when I have been there. I have folks calling me and telling me that they are seeing birds. Has any one noticed a lack of birds? I am hearing that they maybe haning in the woods eating the bumper crop of acorns.... I am dying to get out, going hiking Saturday hmmm.

Eric H

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2006
  8. I haven't noticed any shortages of turkeys up here. I see a flock of about 50 every night on the way home from work (some strutting toms as well). One warm-up and you'll start seeing them again I'm sure.

9. FireLt72

FireLt72 Staff Member Mod

This is in the HNF area....Oh well, maybe I will see some Saturday!

10. Was in Southern IN this past weekend coyote huntin and heard one gobble. Hit the howler and he went off just once. Didn't kill any coyotes but saw a pack of ten that wouldn't come in to anything. Watched them for 2 hrs. They were runin some cows around.