Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, did a little squirrel hunting over the weekend, harvested 2 fox squirrels along with some cool mushroom pic. The comb tooth coral and puffball are last year, I believe the small one is some sort of parachute mushroom
Plant Terrestrial plant Water Biome Wood
Bottle Sports equipment Ball Grass Art
Bottle Sports equipment Ball Grass Art
Plant Mushroom Wood Natural landscape Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
398 Posts
thats a cool coral shroom. ive only found tiny ones.

when sun came up on the deer stand yesterday i spotted a bit of yellow. turned out to be the motherload of super fresh chickens!!
Food Hood Car Ingredient Automotive lighting

had a few friends over to help gobble them up by the fire last night. there is about 15pounds more i have to take ladder back n get today before the rain. august was a banner year for my oyster and chanterelle pickin. october starting out to be 100+ pound of chicken year! stands at 60# for day 1 lmao

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats a cool coral shroom. ive only found tiny ones.

when sun came up on the deer stand yesterday i spotted a bit of yellow. turned out to be the motherload of super fresh chickens!! View attachment 18994
had a few friends over to help gobble them up by the fire last night. there is about 15pounds more i have to take ladder back n get today before the rain. august was a banner year for my oyster and chanterelle pickin. october starting out to be 100+ pound of chicken year! stands at 60# for day 1 lmao
Holy cow, that's impressive. Haven't ever tried them, only found a couple.

·
Registered
398 Posts
they are thick this year man(ne part in.) i found 30 more # today. they eat good but the health benefits mite out weigh that. get out there and look for yellow on trees. really can miss them. no real lookalikes either.
Plant Tree Trunk Terrestrial plant Wood

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spotted these two, think they are chickens, too high to reach, but got home and went for a run and spotted one 1/2 mile from the house. Never tried them before, going to harvest it today.
Plant Mushroom Tree Terrestrial plant Trunk
l

·
Registered
398 Posts
yup id say its a chicken. i have to get the ladder out every year. some of the ones on this tree are too high for my 8ft ladder.
Sky Plant Cloud Natural environment Mirror
Plant Sky Natural landscape Twig Wood

they just started to grow day before yesterday. ill be watching them get bigger. or maybe the buzzards are a warning to lay off harvesting them. lmao

·
Registered
398 Posts
jashroomer, make sure you clean out all poison ivy that the shroom grew around! i pick off anything that isnt yellow or orange. the layers get tuff towards the core. just cut off and eat the more tender outer meat. the core can be chopped and boiled for stock or a tea extraction. they have compounds in them that have been found to kill cancer cells!!!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
made puffball pizzas on grill tonight. brushed thick slices of shroom with olive oil and grill till they dry out some. when the shroom crust gets to your liking put on the sauce n toppings and close lid. when cheese it melted they ready. good way to use them.
Food Ingredient Staple food Recipe Fast food

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, have only found a few chickens, this is the first I have harvested going to try it tomorrow . Interesting you post the puffball pizza today when I ran today something caught my eye I turn the corner and 8 to 10 puffballs in a yard and on into the woods most of the size of volleyballs
Natural material Petal Wood Mushroom Flower

·
Registered
398 Posts
id stay away from yards unless they do not treat it at all. the ones in woods should be safer.

when you trim it off let knife tell you how far back to go. it will get tuff and disappointing if you try and use too much of it. take a tender pedal off, break it with the grain and toss it in skillet with some butter salt n pepper. endless ways to use it.

congrats on the start of enjoying chicken of the woods every year. i have turned 3 people onto them this year. most everyone else ive shown still harvests them. i even get shared bounty from some of them! and back their way too of course.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
id stay away from yards unless they do not treat it at all. the ones in woods should be safer.

when you trim it off let knife tell you how far back to go. it will get tuff and disappointing if you try and use too much of it. take a tender pedal off, break it with the grain and toss it in skillet with some butter salt n pepper. endless ways to use it.

congrats on the start of enjoying chicken of the woods every year. i have turned 3 people onto them this year. most everyone else ive shown still harvests them. i even get shared bounty from some of them! and back their way too of course.
Yea, somewhat leary of yards, this tree was at the edge of a woods. I wasn't sure about how to cut it up, but you are correct, it got tough towards the back, the rest is cut up and ready to go.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, tried a small amount of the chicken of the woods last night, ( wasn't worried about a mis identification, but my wife had an allergic reaction to morels the first time she tried the so i was a little cautious) and it is as advertised. Somewhat chicken like in flavor and texture. Just egg, flour, seasoning and fry last night. Going to do some on the grill with teryaki tonight.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have seen a lot of mushrooms popping up in the woods lately but there is no way I would attempt to eat them. It only takes one mistake.
Yea, liquify you liver once and it's over.
I have hunted morels since i could walk with my grandpa. Not until 2 years ago did i venture into other mushrooms. Tried the pheasant backs, had several folks on hand for a postive ID, so I felt good about them. Found a chicken of the woods last year, took some pics, but didn't try. Did some research and felt confident there weren't any look alikes that would trip me up.
Spotted my first hen of the woods yesterday, but they are in someones yard, just caught my eye while driving. Hopefully will get out in the woods this weekend for some deer/mushroom hunting.

·
Registered
398 Posts
no words ever spoke truer builder! they are life and death literally! know what your eating!!!!!!! thankfully most just make you wish you were dead rather than kill you. there are a couple that will most definitely end your time on this planet!!!!

thats how i ventured into other shrooms too J. study a new shroom a couple seasons before you eat it(notice i didnt say try it lol) i stay away from the ones that are harder to id and have lethal lookalikes. chickens, hens, puffballs, oysters, and chanterells are pretty safe for beginners. chicken being the safest. imo

im in the process of studying shaggy parasols and honey mushrooms now. both of which have nasty lookalikes. i have a place that grows buckets of parasols but i havent IDed them without doubt yet. tried to spore print one yesterday but i think it was too young when i picked it.(still closed tops) ill go back out today and grab another couple to study. if these are edible there is a ton of them! lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Neighbor had a guy trespassing into his Back Yard to pick the chicken of the woods shrooms yesterday! His wife caught him while we were at work. I was gonna pick them when we got home, Sucks cause I wanted them haha
She got a pick of the guy so neighbor can have a talk with him, awfully Bold of the silly trespasser!

·
Registered
398 Posts
he should have asked. most people dont harvest fall shrooms and willingly give them up. i try to educate them but most wont have any of it. lol

i found some shrooms i thought were shaggy parasols. i brought a couple home to spore print ID them. they have a nasty lookalike called "the vomiter".
a very important note here for you shroomers on this. your supposed to print on black and white paper in order to see color better. i did this as always. well a funny thing happened. the print on the black paper looked white which would have indicated an edible parasol. there was another cap just laying on brown cardboard. that printed green on the cardboard. the white paper one didnt show up. if i hadnt had any laying on the cardboard i mite have thought they were edible!!! from now on my spore prints will include bare cardboard too! goes to show how things can mislead. thanks to luck puking my guts out was avoided. lmao
Jaw Mushroom Wood Agaricaceae Tail

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.