close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sun Rendered Fish Oil

Discussion in 'Indiana Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by Panfisher, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Does anyone make their own fish oil ? Is there a certain fish that you like to use more than others ? ( I'm thinking creekchubs and shinners ) What do you add to the mix to keep it from freezing ?

Thanks

2. Great 1 post and I've already found a joker .....

3. Welcome to the site. :evil::evil::evil::evil:

4. Thanks ..... :dizzy: :dizzy: When did this site reappear anyway ?

5. This site never went away Panfisher, you're thinking of a sub-par site that shared a similar name.

For fish oil I like to cut up chunks of carp and render them out. Chubs and shiners would be very similar.. but one carp will go a long ways. After you have the oil you are after you just need to add a little glycerine to it to prevent freezing.

I also use the dark meat out of catfish and grind it up for coon paste bait. Works great, when mixed with the proper additives for taste/texture and durability.

[​IMG]

6. I would suggest calling Hoosier Trapper Supply and buying it. It's a lot easier and a whole lot less smelly. I spilled a tiny bit in my Pathfinder once and never did get the smell completely out :cheeky-sm. From then on I carried it in a pouch tied to the rear bumper. If you insist...we used to give Hoosier Trapper the carp we shot bowfishing to make fish oil...that would be my guess.

7. I spilled some broth off a deer roast/taters/carrots in the front passenger seat of my wife's van Friday night, we didn't discover it until Saturday afternoon, forgot about it until late last night,....today it smells like there is a dead body in the van...she's ready to shoot me!!!

8. Man that's harsh, just becouse she out fished you???

9. :evil: .....you're onto my tactics Quail...evil minds think a like.

10. yep

Hoosier Trapper is good for all your scent needs. 317-881-3075

11. I spend alot of time and $$ at HTS, but why pay for something I can make myself ..... lures and baits isn't what I usually get at HTS and I have a gallon of fish oil from Twin Oakes left from last year ....just wandering about making my own to save a $ this season ....gas ain't going to be any cheaper come trappin' time ....

JBR see ya Saturday ....Bring some of them decals with you .....:bonk:

12. It's been several years since I trapped. Unless prices have come way up or you live in the middle of your trapping area, it's been a long time since it was paying proposition. It's kind like any hunting...I think after all the gear, gas and fast food I've spent money on in the last 30 years, I could eat the rack of lamb(rare) at Shula's Steakhouse just about everyday and save money. Of course, then the wife would come along...what was I thinking!
    And like my mom always said when I was young..."It's better for you and cheaper than a lot of other hobbies...and I always know where you are" That's why your wife/girlfriend like it too!

13. No, trapping isn't reallly a money maker these days unless you have some pretty special setups and some friends in high places. I hardly break even- and I trap pretty hard.

As far as saving a few dimes on fish oil- I'm all for it. Things like that are what keep me happy during the summer time. I get all my things together, practice with my bow, load up the boat, get on the water and hunt down some carp. Then I go home and cut the nasty things up into chunks and put them in jars. Go dump the leftovers and hang a trail camera over it... to catch pics of baby coons... then come home and start puttin all my toys away. All that for a $2.99 bottle of Fish Oil. Yup- sounds like a bargain to me. What else are you gonna do? Mow grass? :coco:

Heading to the FTA National Convention in Evansville tomorrow- decals are SUPPOSED to be here at 8 a.m. so I can bring them along.... everyone is welcome to look us up at the Indiana Predator Challenge booth on Saturday.