close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Survival

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by treehugger, Dec 18, 2006.

1. With the search this past week for the 3 mountain climbers it got me to thinking, could I survive an extended stay in the wilderness. I was wondering if anyone on here has ever had any experiences where they have had to stay out in the wilderness for an extended amount of time due to being lost, hurt, etc. If you have and would share your story I'm sure others would like to hear about it. It may help one of us survive if we find ourselves in a bad situation.

2. I got lost in Iowa last fall on my deer hunt there. I was out there in the dark for 4 hours. I had to have the guys from Michigan that I was staying next to come and get me. Luckily, I had a few cigarettes and a 6 pack with me. Otherwise, I'd have died out there....

O.K. The first part about getting lost was true anyways......Luckily for me it was fairly warm outside, so I didn't get too chilled.

Hey FinsNGrins, care to add to my little story?

3. I survived a long road trip to hear Dr. Grant Woods with Weimer in my truck...that count for anything?

4. Not bad it only took the 3rd post for this one to die! :bash:

5. Luckily I've never gotten lost or hurt, but I still carry a radio and my cell phone just in case. More concerned about getting hurt than lost, you just never know. I did loose my cell phone this year while hanging our lock ons though. When going out alone, I always make sure that I let my wife know what woods I am going to hunt.

6. See what happens Tree if you give them any opening. I think Quails getting as bad as Dean. :coco:

7. I do not have any bad experiences to report as of yet...but I have been at Timberline Resort on Mount Hood. If you ever get a chance, it is a beautiful area! It is at high enough of an altitude that they have summer skiing as well!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2006
  8. Sorry, the :evilsmile made me do it.

9. Good thead Tree I was thinking the same thing. When I was just a kid in W.Va and in the Boy Scouts we went on a camping trip for a week which was about 150 miles for where we lived. The Scout leader took about 20 of us on a nature trip and to look and at the different trees well guess what we were out there and then it got dark and we had no flashlights or food or our sleeping bags and YES it was dark, we yell and yell and no one came so the leader decided that we would all stay close together until morning. Well let me tell you none of us got any sleep that night. When morning came we began to walk and we walked and we walked and then we found a trail and started walking again and thank God we walked in a opening and there was a Forest Ranger Station, the leader told them what had happen and the Ranger said that we were around 6 miles from where we should have been. Afraid you bet I was. WOW I hope and pray they can find the climbers alive.

10. Here are a couple of pictures from when I was out on Mount Hood "working" a few years ago!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Main thing to remember if lost or in a pinch is fire. Always carry a lighter or flint and striker on any wilderness trip. Fire saves lives.

12. In 1996 I was on a fishing trip in the Northwest Territory in mid-June right after ice-out. We were at an outpost camp on the lake with some other guys from Chicago...City Slickers. Two of the guys went out in the late afternoon and didn't make it back before dark, as dark as it gets up there in mid-June, and got lost. They spent the night on the lake shore hunkered down under their boat, built a fire, and ate candy bars and bananas. Not only were they at risk in the cold, and believe me it's cold up there in June, but the camp guide went looking for them and it put him at risk too. When heading out take matches/lighter, food items, water, etc. Sometimes it may seem like a hassle to carry the extra stuff but it could save your life.

13. Was on a canoe trip with 3 other guys (two canoes) on the river at Buffalo River Nat. forest in North Arkansas. The river came up 6-7' in one night, learned to always put your tent and canoe on high ground when it is raining all night long (mine was o.k.). Also, never underestimate the power of a flooded river. Easy to navigate when it is flooded but you have to watch out for trees, etc. Saw a couple of canoes that were upside down with no one in them floating down the river. Never forget that trip. Actually watched two different full grown trees fall in the river and saw every waterfall imaginable on that river.