close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

T/C purchased by Smith & Wesson

Discussion in 'Reloading, Target Shooting, and Modern Firearms' started by oldrookie, Dec 18, 2006.

1. I was on a muzzleloading site and the big buzz is the purchase of Thompson Center by S&W. I need to be brought up to speed on how S&W fell from grace with NRA during Clinton administration.....what happened?

Is this good or bad for Thompson Center?....Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2006
  2. If I Remember correctly it was because the gave into pressure by the administation for gun locks. The NRA was not against the locks, but they were against the forcing of the manufactures to require them. S&W was awarded a large government contract for their support of this. At this point many manufacturers were already putting them on and in their guns so it truly was a mute point. Since then S&W has lost Millions from the publick.
    They did get rid of their CEO who was the traitior at this time, but the dammage was done. Please guys if i got any of this wrong correct me, but don't chastise me.......... i'm getting old and feeble minded.

Gunfighter45

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2006

3. thanks for the info. Sure has the boys at modernmuzzleloader.com in a tizzy!

4. Hay Rook...Tell them S&W comming out with a Jane Fonda special Muzzleloader,Limited Addition......!!!!!

5. I thought the reason the NRA was upset with Smith & Wesson was totally different.

I thought some of the victims of gun crimes were going against the gun manufacturers much like the victims of cancer have been going against the cigarrett manufacturers for punitive damages. In one of the first cases, Smith & Wesson was named. I had heard that Smith and Wesson settled out of court rather than fight the case and that the NRA was upset with this decision because it looked like Smith & Wesson was admitting some guilt and also setting a precedence for others. I am not sure on all of this as it was a few years ago, but that is how I remember it.

6. jane fonda edition

Brew....don't think I will go there.....lol. Reading these guys posts you would have thought T/C sold out to the Chinese!:coco:

7. I`m With Scott

I REMEMBER THE REASON BEING ALONG THE LINES OF SCOTT`S POSTING ABOVE. I DON`T HAVE AN OPINION AT THIS TIME AS TO WETHER OR NOT IT WILL BE BENIFICIAL FOR SHOOTERS OR NOT. I DO THINK I WOULD LIKE TO SEE T/C RAN AS WHOLEY A SEPARATE ENTITY FROM THE MOTHER COMPANY SMITH AND WESSON, RATHER THAN BEING ABSORBED UNDER THEIR NAME.

8. Who would have ever thought Brownings would come from Japan?

9. Ya...and Browning Archery was owned by an Arab company before PSE bought them........ouch.

10. I remember the out of court settlement...... but i don't recall that as being the reason. But hell it could be!

11. Remington has the new Spartan line of lower cost guns - They are made in a former USSR ak-47 factory!

12. I to think most of the reasoning is in Scott's post. S&W did settle out of court and the NRA got upset all the deal. I don't think it will hurt T/C but good help them. S&W, T/C both our great guns, It's not like some crazy gun company bought them. I am OK with this.

13. I agree with 410. I'm more upset about the loss of Winchester, there's an American icon that's been lost.

14. and colt no longer selling to the public :banghead3

15. Agreed! Smith and T/C are great companys, what ever the reasoning behind the NRA disagreeing w/ Smith its a new decade. I'll still buy eaither Companys arms.