close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tanning Hides

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by Tine Lock, Nov 6, 2006.

1. I was planning on tanning the hide of my deer by myself, but I dont know the best way to do it. I've heard of multiple ways to do it but I have never tried any of them. Just wanted to know what you guys thought was the best or if you have ever tried any? I would preferably leave the hair on but it's no big deal to me.

2. i'll try to explain the best i can. 1st. get a good brand of non iodized salt such as morton's. opproximatly 4 to 5 boxes should do it. next you will need to fletch, or scrape all meat and fatty tissue off the hide side of the hide. then you need to get at least a 4 by 8 sheet of plywood. lay the hide on the plywood hair side down. stretch evenly as possible without letting any hide fold over. salt the whole hide evenly and don't spare the salt. the hide needs to be leaned up at least a foot and a half. the salt will cause the hide to bleed out and begin to dehydrate. after 24 hrs. scrape all the wet salt off and resalt liberaly over night. then scrape all the salt off again. roll the hide up hair side out. before you do any of this go to www.wasco.com it's a taxidermy supply co. order a tanning kit called luftan F. it will have the acid crystals and tanning agent and complete instructions. when you do this and have everything you need start the fletching and salting. after this is done take a 5 gal bucket at least no metal. mix 3 boxes of salt in warm water to disove the salt and 3 tbl spoons of concentrated lysol let the water cool. soak the hide in it till it becomes soft and supple. then take it out and let it drain. mix cold water and some dawn dishwashing liquid and wash the hide throughly to get out all the blood and dirt. then rinse with cold clean water. hang the hide up and try to comb out any ticks or other things that might be in the hair. for home tanning you are now ready for the acid pickle. the inst. will tell you from this point on. some tanning solutions are better and safer than others. i've had good luck with this one. tanning is hard work. but rewarding. until you start take your hide rool it up double rap it tight as possible and freeze it. after you get done with the acid picle you'll need to nuetralize the acid using baking soda. if you don't it will continue to eat at your hide. then you'll be ready for the tanning solution. as with any chemicle use safety procautions. watch your eyes. good luck. also remember the better you prepare your hide the better the tanning will turn out.

3. IN ADDITION TO THE METHOD THAT SCRAPE MENTIONS ABOVE, THERE IS ANOTHER WAY THAT I HAVE USED TO TAN SEVERAL COYOTE HIDES, I ASSUME A DEER WOULD BE THE SAME. LOOK AT CABELAS OR ON E-BAY FOR A PRODUCT CALLED " DEER TANNING FORMULA" IT COMES IN A BRIGHT ORANGE BOTTLE WITH A BLACK CAP. IT SHOULD BE AROUND 12.00/ BOTTLE.

WITH THIS PRODUCT SEVERAL STEPS ARE CUT OUT, BASICALLY YOU SOAK THE HIDE IN SALT FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS AND THEN SPREAD THE BOTTLE ON THE UNDERSIDE OF THE HIDE., ROLL IT UP AND LET IT DO IT`S THING. UNROLL IT, STRETCH THE HIDE, AND ALLOW IT TO DRY. IT WILL STIFFEN UP AND IF YOU WANT A SUPPLE HIDE, YO WILL NEED TO WORK IT TO BREAK DOWN THE FIBERS.

AS STATED I HAVE DONE SEVERAL COYOTE SKINS WITH THIS METHOD AND THEY SEEM TO BE HOLDING UP WELL OVER THE YEARS.

4. after the tanning is complete wash out all the residue of the solution. let hang until all the dripping stops. if you can i would through it in the dryer on heat free tumble with a bunch of old towels. this will absorb all the water out of the hair. take it out then you need a good tanning oil. warm this up till hot (not boiling). take a [paint brush and spread it over the hide side reasonably hot. it will soak in the hide better. 24 hrs. later do it again. when it looks like it'd drying you should be able to bend it a little bit to see hair line cracks in the hide. take an old curcular saw blade and grind the teeth off and put it in a vise and get a buddy that needs a workout and work it back and forth to break the fibers. then when you get it broke a little bit take some talcome powder and put on the hide side all over and repeat the breaking process till the hide becomes soft and supple. talcome powder will be a big help in this process. with out any prof. equip. this is how most home tanning is done on thick skins. cream tans work but a deer hide is auful thick. if you use it heat it up some before you put it on. do not do any of these without temp. control.

5. oldbuckkiller

oldbuckkiller Banned

brain tan it, you will have a better longer lasting tan, here is how you do it, take the brain and mix it with water into a paste and smear it on the hide and strech the hide out as far as it will, let it dry then work it untill it's soft and you will have one fine wall hanger of a hide it's how i tan hides no salt needed and the brain from a deer will tan the whole hide. you will have to scrape the hide but you will be happy with the free tan from nature.

6. OBK, is this real? I've never heard of such a thing. I guess it would be the most cost effective way to do it if that really works.

7. Brain tanning is as old as humanity.

However, I believe buying a bottle of tannic acid soultion is just as good as using the brain. Have fun tanning that hide. I have done several and the result is very pleasing.

DaWG

8. Yep! Brain Tanning is real! I've never done it, but one day im going to try it.
    GoodLuck w/ whatever method you try.............................................