close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tele Check-in System

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by treehugger, Oct 8, 2006.

1. We have got to go to a Tele Check-in system. From 2:30 p.m. Saturday afternoon until 10:00 a.m. Sunday morning there was no check station open to be found. Not until I called someone that I knew could get hold of someone who worked at a check in station was I able to get it turned in. At 11:00 a.m. today I finally got the deer checked in. Also with the weather being border line on hot temps that presented another dilemna, no packing houses were open either. I resorted to packing bags of ice in the cavity and praying for cool overnight temps. Lets move to the modern ages and utilize the technology that we have and eliminate running all over the county or counties to check in a deer. :banghead3

2. AGREED! I honestly am hesitant to shot a deer on a Saturday evening or on Sundays just b/c of having to find a check-in station that is open. In the past I have had to take a 1/2 day of vacation to simply check the deer in.......they don't even look at the deer at the places I have checked-in.

3. I totally agree that there should be a telecheck system. The check in station over at the slough closes at 7:00 , which is WAY too early, it should stay open until at least 8:00. The doe i shot was at 6:00 didn't get her out of the woods until 7:30. All of the deer i shoot have been in the evening. It totally sucks having to take off half a day just to check in a deer which just take a minute to do.

4. We have 48 hours right!

5. You live in Vigo County?

Isn't Gander Mountian in Terre Haute a check station...ALSO Poffs across the street is too!

I'm not against Tele- Check, but you should do your homework and find the check stations prior to the harvest!

6. Rather an assuming statement on your part, isn't it, Camby? I'd be willing to take the bet that this is one guy that does do his "homework".

7. AMEN!! I was thinking about that fact as well late Saturday and all day yesterday had I been lucky enough to shoot something!!

8. Correct...48 hrs.

9. Iam for a system that lets you call in or take in.I love to go to a check in station lots of fun there.Not ready to see them go away yet!!!

10. I sure do live in Vigo County Camby, but I don't hunt there. I hunt in Vermillion County which has, I believe, 6 check stations listed in the reg. manual. None of which were available. Yes, Gander Mtn. is a check station in Terre Haute if I wanted to drive the 30+ miles to check it in. We do have 48 hours to check in which would put me at a check in station right now, but guess what, I work for a living. Tele Check would eliminate the hassles. To those who think it would provide opportunity for people to not turn in deer...those are the same people that probably don't check them in now anyway. The Tele Check would continue to keep the honest hunter honest and the other guys...well only a CO can change their mind.

11. Not even an OBR or crossbow thread, and he still doesn't know how to be civil.

12. seabee

seabee Staff Member Super Mod Mod

I too am for a tele-check, i killed a very nice doe on sunday morning and could not find a open check station within 50 miles, sure i have 48 hours to check it in but i would had rather called it in by phone and started processing it so i wouldnt loose it from the heat. just my .02

Seabee

13. I have to agree with Treehugger. I as well hunt Vermillion and Parke countys. It is definetly hard to find a check station open. I think tele check is the way to go. Its a phone call away. I know its definetly easier. When turkey hunting in Missouri and after killing my turkeys in Missouri, I just picked up the phone and called them in. Its was done and over with in under 5 minutes. It was very easy...

14. THE ONLY PROBLEM THAT I SEE WITH A PHONE IN CHECK IN IS; HOW ARE PROCESSORS AND TAXIDERMISTS GOING TO KNOW, WITHOUT A METAL TAG, IF THE DEER THEY ARE WORKING ON IS CHECKED IN. I ASSUME YOU WOULD BE GIVEN A NUMBER OVER THE PHONE, HOW IS THE TAXIDERMIST OR PROCESSOR GOING TO VERIFY THAT YOUR NUMBERS ARE ACCURATE? I THINK UNREPORTED KILLS WOULD INCREASE UNDER THIS SYSTEM. DON`T GET ME WRONG, I AM NOT TOTALLY AGAINST THE IDEA, I JUST WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A FEW MORE ANSWERS. ANYBODY KNOW HOW OTHER STATE RUN A SIMILAR SYSTEM?

15. I think the better solution is for tree to become an official check station. He already got his deer, what else could he be doing in November and December?:cheeky-sm