close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Beauty of Hunting

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by Jeffro, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Please allow me to share an experience...

I've posted this on another site as well. Hopefully you don't end up reading it twice.

Early Sunday morning finds me in one of my stands on the 15 acres I have permission to hunt. Stars, calm weather, being in the woods, all-in-all a good morning. About 7:20 I hear a noise to my left. About 35 yards through the trees/bushes I see the body. Sunlight off the antlers indicates a buck. With no shot opportunity, I start hoping he'll come my way. Sure enough, he starts working his way down the same trail I came in on 2 hours earlier. A 1 1/2 year old fork horn. Now I'm thinking to myself whether or not I want to harvest him (early in the season, 1 buck rule, etc). I decide to watch him. For 10 minutes he continues to wander near my stand even to the point of standing right below me smelling the steps of my ladder! Throughout this, he even looked at me 3 times with NO CLUE what I was. Finally, he wanders away.

About 9:30 a doe & fawn work their way to 10 yards of my stand and proceed to eat acorns for the next 15 minutes. Again, they have no idea I'm setting right there.

When I came home I was so happy my wife figures I shot a deer. I told her the story (the long drawn out version, of course) and made the statement that I have never been so excited after a hunt where I did not harvest an animal.

I mentioned this to a couple of guys at work that know I hunt. No one seemed to get it. They were all fixated on the fact that I did not shoot anything. They are not hunters and just don't get it. Then again, I must admit that this is something I could not have understood in my early days of hunting either. I'm sure some of you can relate to and appreciate this sentiment.

Good luck. Have fun.

Jeff

2. Jeff,

As I was reading about your encounters I was drawn back to a similar day I had years ago and it brought a smile to my face. I feel the same way. Just stepping into the woods makes for a good day. Too bad not everyone knows the true joy of hunting. Thank you for the memory.

MIDH

3. great story. You should carry a camera with you so you can get some good pictures of nature. good luck to you

4. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Jeff,

Most of my memorable times in the fields are with me and my dog, watching her work. It's never been about shooting anything. I've had days when all she pointed were hens...no shooting, no problem. It's being outside with your best friend. It seems anymore, I get more shots with my camera than with my shot gun.

Cary

5. A BAD DAY IN THE WOODS IS BETTER THAN A GREAT DAY AT WORK FOR SURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:evilsmile

6. ya i love days like that. I have a camcorder that i carry with me on every hunt. i get just as much excitement getting them on video as i do harvesting an aminal. Plus it is always nice to have proof when you are telling an amazing story to your buddies and they dont beleive you.

7. i agree

there's nothing better than watching deer. Even if you don't get a shot. It's just that fact that your out there in nature. I LOVE IT!