close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The flies have it....

Discussion in 'Northeast Indiana Fishing Reports' started by QuailDancer, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Soon as I walked in the door tonight, both of my kids asked..."Dad, can we go fishin'??"
    Like they have to ask???!!!

I just came in from finishing up a "yard session", teaching them how to cast a flyrod. There's a small pond in town, cramed full of stunted bluegill that I'm pretty sure will be willing to help a kid along with a flyfishing lesson, by doing their part and eating a fly or two.

Soon as the wife rolls in from work, we'll all go out and see how the girls do in this new venture!!! Wish us luck.

2. Quail thats cool that the girls would like to try this since you and your wife both like to fly fish. Put on a hement and button every thing down and let it go.
    Good luck. It will be nice to have the whole family fly fishing, just not all at the same time out of the boat. GOOD LUCK

3. Back from the pond

Things went real well with the kids and flyrods!!! Too bad the fish didn't cooperate a tad more. My oldest hooked two small gills...the youngest...well...she kept on trying, that's what counts. Both girls had a blast, so I'm sure there will be plenty more fly outtings in our future.

The bright bit of news is that I caught my largest bass on a fly tonight, went about 3 pounds!!!! All fish were released to play with another day.:)

4. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Sounds like a neat time...I love to fly fish...have 4 fly rods (one a split bamboo), but just don't seem to use them as much as I used to. They seem more fitted for pond use than for lakes.

Catching a bass on a fly rod is a real treat. My first smallmouth came on a fly rod in Canada...

5. My only bamboo rods are hanging on the walls...they aren't fishable quaility, but I like the way they look.

6. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

I'm afraid to fish with them...even though they have two tips, they're awfully fragile. I did fish with one for awhile, but found it didn't hold a candle to graphite..beauty, but not function.

7. It's hard to find a correct line weight for them. I had one bamboo rod that still had a good pith (was fishable), used a 4 weight double taper on it, which seemed rather heavy for the rod actually. The one thing to keep in mind, you have to cast so much slower, keeping the loop more open.
    I fished with it more for the experience than the functionality, just a slight tie to the past.

8. Quail have those daughters of your got a lot of flies made up since it is raining?

9. no...go figure, last year i couldn't get them on the golf course, this year all they want to do is hit golfballs:coco:

I'll turn them around quick...need a sunny warm day, a couple cooperative bluegills...and then it's the girls that'll be hooked!