Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how long our scents will linger? I know that it will probably depend on the weather conditions but...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
I have a list for slightly damp to dry weather:
1. Untreated footsteps with no cover scent = 6 hours
2. untreated regular body odor with no cover scent (for instance sitting on a log) = 8-10 hours
3.urine on the forest floor 2-3 days
4. cigarette smoke 3 hours with light winds under 5mph.
5.breath that has been treated with mouthwash alerts whitetails 4 times faster than untreated morning breath.
6.scented deodorant is 15 times more likely to spook deer than unscented.
7. on a scale from 1-10, 10 being worst, coffee smell in the woods is 0.5 (nearly undetectable)
8.Skoal or any dipping tobacco spit is 6 times more likey to be detected in the wind by whitetails than loose leaf tobacco, like Redman.
9.Passing gas is somewhat like the cigarette smoke but can be completely gone in 1 hour (im sure this varies in hunters)
10. Lunch, the typical sack lunch with meat sandwich, chips/crackers, and pudding is a very low deer alert risk. Sometimes a deer will come closer to someone eating lunch. Curious to the smell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,667 Posts
HickoryNut said:
9.Passing gas is somewhat like the cigarette smoke but can be completely gone in 1 hour (im sure this varies in hunters)
.
I think I've passed gas that has lingered in the 2-3 day range!!!:evilsmile
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Toothpaste for hunters..........

I read in a hunting magazine that the best way to mask your breath and have clean teeth is to mix one half tea spoon of baking soda to one teaspoon of sugar-free grape jelly. and then add one drop of cooking vanilla.

Mix it up and place in baggie, poke hole in corner of bag to dispense the paste. IMPORTANT: Keep refrigerated duing hunting season. Bill Jordan swears by it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
I am a scent free freak, I mean I wear my scented out long johns under a scented out coverall and take the cover all off in at the truck, not before washing my hands with scent free / killer soap. Then last thing I do is brush and gargle with baking soda. I wear a scent blocker head cover as well as scent blocker camo's and the carbon base layers. Like I said I am a scent free freak. It must work because this was just my 3rd season and I took 7 deer, 5 with my bow and I could have taken two dozen more.

I only put cover scent, Harmon Scents "Interdigital" on the tree or leaves around me, nothing on me. I like to smell like nothing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
Scent blocker outerwear does little good ,maybe for a few days/ 1week,military chemical suits are not worn time after time even with no chemicals being used on them,its the same makeup as 'scent blocker' stuff,long lasting ?they are not,the money paid for them is crazy,just go to a army surplus store and buy a chem suit [medium will fit if you wear a large jacket],comes with pants and jacket all for about 20-30 bucks.But still no-scent soap for you and your clothes is even cheaper.I bet the Scent Blocker people sell snake oil too.
krheude said:
Does anyone know how effective the Scent-Lok suits actually are?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
HickoryNut said:
I have a list for slightly damp to dry weather:
1. Untreated footsteps with no cover scent = 6 hours
2. untreated regular body odor with no cover scent (for instance sitting on a log) = 8-10 hours
3.urine on the forest floor 2-3 days
4. cigarette smoke 3 hours with light winds under 5mph.
5.breath that has been treated with mouthwash alerts whitetails 4 times faster than untreated morning breath.
6.scented deodorant is 15 times more likely to spook deer than unscented.
7. on a scale from 1-10, 10 being worst, coffee smell in the woods is 0.5 (nearly undetectable)
8.Skoal or any dipping tobacco spit is 6 times more likey to be detected in the wind by whitetails than loose leaf tobacco, like Redman.
9.Passing gas is somewhat like the cigarette smoke but can be completely gone in 1 hour (im sure this varies in hunters)
10. Lunch, the typical sack lunch with meat sandwich, chips/crackers, and pudding is a very low deer alert risk. Sometimes a deer will come closer to someone eating lunch. Curious to the smell.
Do you know that 85% of all statistics are made up?

Where did you read this bull, or did you just make it up?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Vipertec said:
Do you know that 85% of all statistics are made up?

Where did you read this bull, or did you just make it up?
Is the 85% statistic you just threw out made up does it fall in the 15% catagory?

Dont let your alligator mouth overload you mummingbird arse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
HickoryNut said:
Is the 85% statistic you just threw out made up does it fall in the 15% catagory?

Dont let your alligator mouth overload you mummingbird arse.
The 85% thing is a joke.

What does your alligator thing supposed to mean? And what's a mummingbird?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
If you buy those chem suits at an army surplus store watch out. My buddy bought one, the carbon got all over him and his clothes, he looked like he worked in a coal mine

For all the non believers in Scent Lok/blocker clothing , it works, I've seen it. I have had numerous deer, fox and coyotes come from downwind of me many times. Had 5 coyotes come right down the trail I walked in on, right under my stand, never smelled me. Killed a buck an hour later that came in on the same trail, so watching your scent does matter.

Now with that said, there are some people who have properties that can play the wind and not have to worry about scent. Gun season also allows one to get away with more, but for bow hunters, scent control is manditory in my mind. The farm I hunt at you have to walk right thru the action to get to the woods and your stands, sometimes within only a few yards of deer bedded.

Maybe I am just stupid and caught up in the scent control crap, but hey in my mind it can't hurt. I mean this is was my 3rd year hunting and I killed 7 deer , 5 with bow and I could have taken a deer evertime in my stand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I've hunted with Scent Lok and Scentblocker for the last five years. I also combine this with a scent elimination system that envolves showering, getting dressed in the field, scent proof bag ect.. Now with that being said, I think the suites and liners work but I won't be buying anymore. The reason is that I think the suites work good at first, but lose their effectiveness very quick. I don't think that the price is worth the longetivity of the product. This year I did wear some old suites, but mainly just used scent killer and did not notice much of a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
I hear ya on the charcoal dust!!!! but it washes off. And about the sent-lok,it probably would make you feel confident ,which would make you hunt better,indians hunted almost naked,probably didnt smell good,but they had confidence! Vipertec you do lots of things right as you've written ,you probably dont need those suits anyway.
Vipertec said:
I've hunted with Scent Lok and Scentblocker for the last five years. I also combine this with a scent elimination system that envolves showering, getting dressed in the field, scent proof bag ect.. Now with that being said, I think the suites and liners work but I won't be buying anymore. The reason is that I think the suites work good at first, but lose their effectiveness very quick. I don't think that the price is worth the longetivity of the product. This year I did wear some old suites, but mainly just used scent killer and did not notice much of a difference.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top