close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

this makes me sick

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by oldbuckkiller, Jan 12, 2007.

1. oldbuckkiller

oldbuckkiller Banned

BOISE, Idaho - Idaho's governor said Thursday he will support public hunts to kill all but 100 of the state's gray wolves after the federal government strips them of protection under the Endangered Species Act.

Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter told The Associated Press that he wants hunters to kill about 550 gray wolves. That would leave about 100 wolves, or 10 packs, according to a population estimate by state wildlife officials.
    The 100 surviving wolves would be the minimum before the animals could again be considered endangered.
    "I'm prepared to bid for that first ticket to shoot a wolf myself," Otter said earlier Thursday during a rally of about 300 hunters.
    Otter complained that wolves are rapidly killing elk and other animals essential to Idaho's multimillion-dollar hunting industry. The hunters, many wearing camouflage clothing and blaze-orange caps, applauded wildly during his comments.
    Suzanne Stone, a spokeswoman for the advocacy group Defenders of Wildlife in Boise, said Otter's proposal would return wolves to the verge of eradication.
    "Essentially he has confirmed our worst fears for the state of Idaho: That this would be a political rather than a biological management of the wolf population," Stone said. "There's no economic or ecological reason for maintaining such low numbers. It's simple persecution."
    Wolves were reintroduced to the northern Rocky Mountains a decade ago after being hunted to near-extinction. More than 1,200 now live in the region.
    The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service plans to start removing federal protections from gray wolves in Montana and Idaho in the next few weeks.
    A plan drafted by Idaho's wildlife agency calls for maintaining a minimum of 15 wolf packs — higher than Otter's proposal of 10 packs.
    Jeff Allen, a policy adviser for the state Office of Species Conservation, said 15 wolf packs would allow "a cushion" between the surviving wolf population and the minimum number that federal biologists would allow before the animals are again considered endangered.
    Allen said Otter and state wildlife officials agree on wolf strategy and will be able to reach a consensus on specific numbers.
    "You don't want to be too close to 10 because all of a sudden when one (wolf) is hit by a car or taken in defense of property, you're back on the list," Allen said. Why don't they sell the packs they want to rid themselves of to other states.

2. why does it make you sick obk? the ranchers were never for the rentruduction of grey wolves. they lose hundreds of sheep fole"s and calves every yr. to those wolf packs. let alone up to 40% or more elk calves every yr. mabe they think their already above carrying capacity.

3. I'm with scrapewatcher on this one. I'm not gonna throw stones at these guys. That article doesn't talk about density, it doesnt say anything about how devastating the wolves are. Not gonna say its the answer, not gonna say it isn't.

I know how much coyotes can devastate ranchers in Montana, my family was against the wolf reintroductions from the word go.

Tough for you to sit in Indiana and gauge the pros and cons of the wolves 2000 miles away don't ya think?

4. Good comment.

5. Heck we try to kill every yote around here to keep things balanced and they don't eat as much or endanger anyone as much as a wolf pack.

6. Wolf pelt would look pretty nice over the fireplace in the family room.
    Hunting is a part of wildlife management.
    Just think how out of control squirrels would be if they weren't hunted!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2007
  7. Wolves probably have very few, if any, natural predators in Idaho. They have to be controled somehow or like the article says, they may have a serious impact on other wildlife.

8. I think you all are right, got to keep the pop. under control. would not want someone getting hurt by one of the packs nothing hunts them. maybe a bear or a big cat might take one out.

9. hmmm lets see if we remember this right... Circa 1885 ads began appearing in Chicago, Kansas city, Dodge and St Louis newspapers about bountiies for wolf hides $5-$10 per pelt(government sponsored, cow hands back then made $20 per month on a good month), and the wolf population diminished to near extinction.

Then in the 1960's and 70's the government spent untold millions (probably billions) to reestablish the wolf they had paid to eliminate.

Looks to me like it might be time to invest in a wolf kennel, and work on getting a fat government contract to supply juvenile wolves to replentinsh the nearly extinct wolf population in a few years.

Any investors want in on a ground floor opportunity, with a potential to make millions? sign up today!