close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tips on morels

Discussion in 'Mushroom Hunting' started by JohnSmiles, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Here are a couple of tips for anyone not already aware of them:
    Never wash your morels in saltwater unless you plan on eating them all within a day or two.
    They will last 2-3 weeks in the fridge if you simply rinse AND DRAIN them a few times in clean water.
    And make sure they stay DRAINED, and store in the fridge in a sealed container.
    Drain off any water that accumulates in the bottom of the bowl daily, and after a couple of days you can simply put a paper towel in the bottom to absorb any excess moisture.
    Also for those who want to try storing some in the freezer, what has worked best for me is to partially fry them, maybe half-way, drain the oil off, and then freeze them on aluminum foil, not touching each other.
    After they are frozen, dump them in a freezer bag and they will keep 6 mos or so.
    When you need to sample a few, deep frying works best.
    Get the oil hot, then dump them in a few at a time just like french fries.
    Just be careful not to overcook them at this point.
    A couple of minutes is just right unless you dumped in too many and cooled the oil off.

I posted this elsewhere, but thought it might be useful here also.

2. If I wanted morels to keep in the refrigerator I wouldn't wash them at all. You are right about the freezing If you bread them and cook them part way then freeze them on a cookie sheet -they taste about as good as fresh. :corkysm55

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007

3. But ya gotta wash the :cheeky-sm bugs :cheeky-sm off em!
    :cheeky-sm :cheeky-sm :cheeky-sm
    The slugs at least . . .
    :biggrin:
    And soaking them in fresh water sure perks a lot of the older ones right up!

4. I like them that way but I prefer this.....to freeze.....after cleaning or washing the shrooms. Let them dry out individually on a cookie sheet. Once dried, put your breading on them. Put them on waxpaper on a cookie sheet and freeze them. Once frozen you can put them into a zip-lock baggie. When you get them out to cook them, get the oil going good, just put the shrooms in frozen to cook. Done!!!!!

5. For some reason I am a glutton and eat every darn one of them..... So I don't know the first thing about freezing them:evil:

6. I haven't found enough to freeze any for a few years myself.
    We had a great place to hunt, and the mushrooms were everywhere!
    I can remember my brother and myself picking 25 lbs each during a season, and never covering 1/4 of the woods.
    At least 1/2 of that woods we never ever got around to even looking for mushrooms on.
    We had all we could possibly use as was, and gave several lbs away at that.
    Man those were the days.
    Two 80 acre plots of prime timber in Park Co.
    Sadly, the owner died, and after a few years the daughters husbands brother-in-law decided he wanted it all to himself.
    All good things must come to an end.
    I miss hunting that property more than any I have ever hunted on.
    :(
    If I ever hit the lottery, that young lady, and a couple of her neighbors, are in line to make a nice profit, I can tell ya.
    :evilsmile

7. yeap here to or vacuum bag them after freezing ;)

8. Really - I wouldn't wash them until I wanted to use them. If you miss a few bugs - its free protien :biggrin:

9. The only tip that I really need is ... where to do you find the darn things?!?!

I spend a lot of time in the woods and I've never found a single one.:( Yet, my brother-in-law (not a woods kind of guy) can walk in right to the things and find the mother load every stinking time. The guy won't even tell me where to look.:rolleyes:

10. :yeahthat:

11. Hey guys, I'm like DEC. What kind of terrain do you look for when shroom hunting? I've gotten into them a few times, but for the most part I can't figure it out.

12. There's a great picture of two things that I never get to see. Morels and a $50 dollar bill.:(

13. Derek, elms tree's seem to produce the most for me. I know there are other tree's people find them under, but I find almost all mine mainly around dead elms. It's early still, usually I start finding them right before or during turkey season. Surley some others will chime in, if not I will PM you...