close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tired Of Bows Planned Obsolence

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by BRICH60, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Is Anybody Else Out There Getting Tired Of Having To Pay These Outrageous Prices That The Big Companies Are Charging For Their New Bows, Only To Be Made Obsolete In A Year Or So. For The Cost Of A New Mathews Or Hoyt( 700.00) You Could Buy A New High Powered Rifle Or Nice Automatic Shotgun And It Will Last A Lifetime, With Little Or No Changes Or Maintence Involved.

I Know Alot Of This Is The Result Of Good Marketing On The Manufacture`s Part, Making Us Think That Your Old Bow Is Obsolete And That You Need To Spend Big Bucks On A New One, But It Seems That The Prices That They Are Expecting Us To Pay Are Getting Out Of Hand. Am I The Only One Who Feels This Way, I`ll Shut Up Now And Get Off My Soap Box And See What You Guys Think.

2. :yeahthat: big time then to have the pros work on it just keep your warrenty :yikes: :help:

3. Yeah but if you start with the obsolete, where are you to go from there? Keep it simple look into traditional. The initial bow doesnt have to be costly and from there the sky is the limit, you decide how much you want to get into it.

4. I've tweeked my bow a little, changed the sights, changed the rest, added features to make it quiter, but they were changes that I wanted to make, same old bow, but gets the job done.
    Not saying that a new bow wouldn't have some advantages, but is it needed?
    It's not like it would do anything magical over my 4yr old bow. I think you get the feel and craft of using your tools, and you make the magic happen. If 280-290 feet per sec won't make the kill for me, than it isn't likely that 300+ feet per sec. would. Too much hype in the market place.

Side note, for the love of god, don't tell my wife I ever made this type of comment!

5. Just because a bow is older doesn't make it obsolete...does it still launch an arrow toward a target? If so, it's not obsolete. I hunted with my last PSE from 1996-2004. I would have hunted with it last year, but the lower limb cracked. Got a new PSE this year and will hunt with it for at least another ten years. I don't get too wrapped up in what's hot. That old PSE put out more foot lbs. of kinetic energy than all of my friends' newer model bows, and it killed many deer.

6. I had a Browning copmpound given to me by my father when I was 11. A little hard to pull back at first (45lb-60lb), but I hunted with that bow until two years ago. I'm now 32 and sure hope the new Browning I bought kills as many deer as my first one. It'll be a tough feat, but I'm willing to try. I have to admit I've been looking at a new Matthews, but I know my current bow will still perform great.

7. Bows galore

Welcome to America!!!!!!!!!

Folks, this isn't just a recent phenomenon, nor is it just in the archery industry. This is how comapanies stay around in the modern market place. Remember, Capitalism is the name of the game in the West. Yeah, it sucks to by a brand new bow and then want the new model a year or two later. But couldn't we also say that about our fishing boat, car/truck, girlfriend/wife...Sure it would be great to get a new__________ (fill in the blank) every year but just put it in perspective and go kill a buck.

Same goes for the food plot industry...Call it what you will...but it is a berzillion dollar industry. Ahhh, American Capitalism at its best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could go to the former Soviet Union and check out their fine equipment.:bouncy: The number one model is a Kalishnakov rapid fire #47. Quite a bit faster than 300 ft./ second.

8. Steve

Steve Admin Mod

I've been using my old Hoyt Heat since 1995 now and have no problems with it.

9. they just want you to think their obsolete!! i'm going to hunt with mine till it breaks. too expensive to always have the latest

10. obsolete?

I shot a Browning Indian until 1998. It wasnt till i picked up New bow at the boat sport and travel show that i desired a new bow. The Indian shot with quite an arc but still killed deer very well and was very forgiving with my shooting form. Hype is what makes us think we are obsolete in my book. If it wasnt for us hunters the research and developement of theses products for hunting would not exist. Im glad that these products exist but ya gatta go with stuff you NEED instead of wants. I thank Browning for the bow Adrenaline and all the accessories that make our hunts alittle easier.

11. The only thing that makes a bow obsolete is the customer. I swear, some guys think that if the next bow that comes out is 3 fps faster then their bow is junk...wow, my friend has hunted with a Pearson Spoiler for 15 years. He seems to be able to drop a deer every year with it........

Changing the subject for a moment...my new neighbor just pulled up....my god, she is hot!...cant wait til summer!!

But no, I dont think people give older bows much credit.

12. Bo...for her own good, I hope she doesn't try to steel your wheels brotha'!!! Maybe you can work something out with her. ;)

I agree that the "obsolescence" is all in the marketing scheme. Just practice with what you have and you'll be fine. If you go buy a faster bow and aren't accurate with the one you currently have you're just gonna' miss sooner and worse with the new one.

treehugger

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2006
  13. I agree newer and better isn't always the answere in hunting equipment, but I'm fairly sure it doesn't apply to golf, so go ahead, buy that new driver you've been drooling over fellas.

I love taking skins money off guys that buy new ones every year, hit the ball longer, farther, faster and deeper into the crud off the fairways!

Learn good craftsmanship with what you have, tweek it if needed, and enjoy the feeling of a few extra bucks in your pockets.

14. I bought a driver at Wal Mart 8 years ago for $15. "Driving Master" is the name of it. I still use it, and I still smack the bejeesus out of the ball with it!

15. Fore

I make my own drivers!!!!! Just awesome!!!!!:cool: