close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Top Bucks for 2005

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by Dean Weimer, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Here is a list of scores (and counties of harvest) of the top Boone and Crockett bucks from last year that have been scored so far... There will be more, but these are the ones that have been verified as of last week. There will be an article on the monster N.T. found dead in Switzerland in this coming month's issue of North American Whitetail magazine. As far as I know the score hasn't yet been confirmed by an official Boone and Crockett scorer. It probably has by now though. All other scores are confirmed and legitimate.

Firearms Typicals

179 7/8 Posey
    177 6/8 Warren
    176 6/8 DeKalb
    172 5/8 Miami
    170 2/8 Floyd

Firearms Non-Typicals

234 2/8 Decatur
    202 7/8 Henry
    196 1/8 Owen
    196 1/8 Putnam
    195 5/8 Greene

Bow Typicals

182 2/8 Sullivan
    175 6/8 Kosciusko
    170 6/8 Parke
    170 4/8 Lawrence

Bow Non-Typicals

202 0/8 Tippecanoe
    195 1/8 Montgomery

Found (Both Categories combined)

245-247" N.T. Switzerland (Score not yet confirmed)
    202 7/8 N.T. Hamilton

18 so far...the record is 20 and was set in (surprise!!!) 2004.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2006
  2. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?????????

Dean I find your data does not agree with some peoples theory of the "deer rich" areas!!!

11 of the 18 would be above a imaginary line of US 40, seems the deer rich areas of the Ohio river and southern Indiana are coming in second. Now this could be the result of.......

1. Loss of hunters ............lol

2. Too many deer..........

3. Too thick of terrain........

4. hunters killing the first buck by ........

5. All archery hunters have quit in the south........

OR!!!!

that OBR improved the north!!

6 B &C bucks in archery...... 10 in gun........... I'll take that percentage EVERY DAY!!!

By the way I'm going to copy this to HH.com..... hope you don't mind, I'll give you credit.

3. South.... Home Of BIG BUCKS

HMMMM...Looks like The SOUTHERN Part of the state had the BIG BUCKS.234 2/8 Decatur.....245-247 Switzerland.:cheeky-sm ...sorry couldn't hold back :cwm27: :cwm27: :cwm27: ....good post Dean keep them comming !!!!!!

4. Thanks Dean, I have seen some of these deers as I have went with Scott and Dean to score deer the 234 2/8 Decatur was truely a gaint, and I do have a couple of picts. of this deer. As Dean will tell with the OBR I think this is why we are seeing such large bucks.

5. Thanks for the info Dean...unbelievable. With bucks like this why have you been hounding me for so long about mine. You should be doing stories on those kind of bucks!!! :cwm27:

6. Shhhhh!!!!!!!

some things are best not to talk about unless you want company, leasing and outfitters hourding in on your favorite area:(

7. wouldn't worry about info getting out

There aren't many secret spots in Indiana for big bucks anymore. Plus, it is almost impossible to gain access to ground anymore! Therefore, there is not much chance the old "won't tell you where I saw him or got him" is going to make a difference. Most of the guys that hide info never see the big one again, anyhow.

Eric

8. I agree completely..... I dont want to see out of state leasing take place here on the same scale that has turned the golden triangle of Illinois into a lack luster melting pot for the rich. Look at Iowa the residents there are having a hard time finding place to hunt. Places to take their kids... think about the future here. I want big bucks running all over the place just like most of everyone on here, but I would hate to see a lot of land get leased up by someone trying to make a quick buck from our hard work. Seems like a catch 22

On another note when do we get to see a picture of the monster that was found dead.

9. People deserve to know that the OBR is working. Posting scores and Counties is for fun.....leasing,etc. have been happening here for longer than you know......This is the Indianasportsman site, we talk about hunting and fishing. If you don't like it you could leave......but don't let the door hit you on the backside.....

Maybe your buddy Mitch could pass another law to keep leasing away. But, how is he going to make money by turning rich people away??

However, I do agree that some leasing, outfitting situations aren't real desirable. This does not quell my desire to show people what is being produced. Indiana residents have a right to see these mega-bucks...and to know WHY they are showing up more now than ever....

Joe, you are absolutely correct about the northern half. Zone 4, that giant behemoth of north central Indiana in particular, is really coming on as a big buck producer. Why are they showing up in areas that they never have before? Is there a graph to show this?;) !!!!!

DeKalb County posted its 2nd Booner all-time last season. It took 19 years to produce the second one.....Coincidence?? NOT!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2006
  10. So, what you're saying Randall, is you do now except the fact that "Bruce" is a dink????

:hide: !!!!!!

11. Compared to those monsters...I can't argue the fact. But give me a wall full of "dinks" and I'll be happy.

12. For those of you who have never hunted in the southern part of Indiana, I will give you my reasoning for why it seems like we are not producing a better percentage of big bucks.

1. "Lots" of hunters.

2. Too many deer.

3. Hunters killing the first buck by ........

4. But the biggest one that jumps out at me, eventually ties back into number one and number 3. Landowners own less ground per acre than those who live in North. I may be totally wrong, but it seems like everyone owns 20 acres and have 2 or 3 people hunt on those 20 acres. Thus increasing the likelyhood of having that 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 year old buck being shot as the season progresses. IT seems to me, that the farther north you go in the state, the more acerage the landowner owns. True?

Anyone else who hunts in southern Indiana agree with this assessment.

13. I don't know anything about the size of land owned down south but "up here" (Vigo/Vermillion/Parke) what you say sounds about right. Most landowners have anywhere from 100 acres on up with many small farmers having 300 - 1000 acres or more. Now not all of this land is wooded but does provide both a great food source (corn, soybeans, hay, etc.) and protective habitat (woods, weeds, ravines, creeks, etc.). The number of hunters on the 350-400 acres I hunt is very limited. During archery season it is just me. During the opening weekend of firearms season it is maybe 5-6 hunters. After the opening weekend that number is at least half on in inconsistent basis. Even during firearms season I am the only hunter that puts in consistent time there. That being said, and other areas potentially being similar in the north, it would help explain why there are more bigger bucks in those zones.

Dean...remember our habitat discussion between your areas in the far north to the habitat areas here and farther south. Now would be a good time for you to chime in. I can't believe I actually asked you to speak. :coco:

14. I live in SW Indiana, and own 15 acres. I've taken several Deer off my property, several being very nice Bucks. Infact the largest Buck, I've taken so far, a 200 pound- 9 Pt. was taken off my 15 Acres.

15. Thanks Randy.......And speak I will...

For starters, The Boss (a.k.a. The Bruce Springsteen Buck) is a true monster buck..regardless of score. I like breaking Randy's you-know-whats...as often as possible.

I live about as far North as you can here in Indiana...J.L. lives about 4 miles from Michigan..so he's even further north. Up here we have true "flatland" hunting (there are lots of rolling hills here too, but not like far southern Indiana).

Randy lives and hunts near Vermillion, Parke, Vigo counties. This is W. Central Indiana. The topography there makes hunting bucks a little tougher than where I hunt because bucks have more "nooks and crannies" to hide in.

Hunting in the "flatlands", as it were, is easier (a relative term) because bucks can't "escape" (although they do a great job of it anywhere) as easily as in other, more hilly terrain.

Over time, the far southern reaches (especially along the Ohio River) have always seemed to outproduce the "northern" part of the state...mainly because of the rugged, hilly, more wooded habitat that exists there. Plus, it's well documented that soils along major rivers are more rich than in areas where no major rivers exist, adding extra nutrition to the plants that grow adjacent to those areas. THis translates into larger racks, because of those same plants being eaten by deer in those areas.

But, deer are deer....the northern part of Indiana is, has, and always will have the capability to grow giants like S. Indiana. It's just that now, more bucks are reaching full maturity and they're starting to show up in places where they never have because they've always been overhunted in those areas...and perhaps the flatter terrain has had something to do with this. Actually, any county in Indiana is capable of producing GIANT bucks. The overriding factor is AGE.....it's really that simple, and always has been.

I can't speak for the Southern Indiana hunters, but I can also say that not all bucks that will score HRBP and Boone and CRockett (as well as Pope and Young) minimums have been score as of this time. To be honest we're still getting Booners and HRBP scoring racks in from the past two seasons.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Zones 5,6, and 7 produced more giants than have been turned in so far, so really it's hard to say that S. Indiana isn't producing them like it has in the past. Let's just be happy that the OBR, and modern management minded hunters are starting to experience true giants in areas that have always had an overharvest of bucks.

And the reason that Indiana has always had an overharvesting of bucks?????(especially prior to the OBR and the opening of the antlerless (doe) system)

1) A long 16-day firearms season in the heart of the Primary Breeding Phase of the Rut. Very few bucks have survived in the past...this is why only a handful of giants were ever harvested in a given season prior to now. This also explains why a tremendous % of all bucks killed before now were 1.5 year-old bucks. Mature bucks just did NOT exist in any numbers prior to now. This is why Joe Bacon has always argued to uneducated people on this site that "you can't shoot what isn't there". They literally did NOT exist in any large numbers. If they had then we'd have seen them come into the Hoosier Record Buck Program.....we didn't.

2) A long 16- day muzzleloader season that traditionally has fallen during the Secondary Rut. See above.

3) A multiple buck system where each hunter has had the capability of harvesting more than one buck. Under conditions 1 and 2 above especially.

4) Failure to harvest enough does and letting them become too populated, thus driving down the size of all deer (bucks and does) in the process. This is why haveing a balanced herd/ buck:doe ratio is so important in today's 21st Century whitetail deer management.

For more information on the benefits we are experiencing today in Indiana, read my Rut's Happening? series in North American Whitetail magazine starting in the September issue. Having a balanced herd, balanced buck:doe ratio, more mature bucks, less does, etc. has more benefits than just an increase in mature bucks available to the hunters of this state. The IDNR does not manage our herd for these benefits however.

And anyone who doesn't see that there are more large racked, mature bucks in our state now than ever before is either blind, or doesn't have a clue about such things. It's really that simple.....

Oh yes, and P.S. to you Joe Bacon....it's not a theory...it is FACT!!!!!! Is there a graph out there for this too?;) !!!!