close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Traditional Bow Hunting

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by Scott Werstler, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Sorry, but I have to ask this question. I can't hold it any longer. Not trying to be mean, but I want to understand the mindset.

Why go to the trouble, increased challenge, of being a traditional bow hunter, yet use trail cameras, the latest camo and lighted nocks?

2. I've got a world of respect for traditional guys. Cool stuff taking an animal with a recurve or long bow. I wish I had the time to dedicate to it. Maybe someday when life slows down a little for me. Until then, I'll stick with technology.

3. Ill stick my neck out there. Here is my definition of traditional hunting. I use a tree stand I have the camo, I use a trail camera to take cool pictures. I dont really use them to scout and find my way around the woods. I just like getting pictures of deer. Im not overly concernced with where the big deer just farted at. I like to get all kind of pictures. Thats why I have trail cameras.

I use aluminum arrows, easton gamegetter 2117's. I used to shoot wood but they got expensive and just werent as reliable as I liked my arrow to be. Thats about where my technology stops.

I shoot a traditional bow not because of the challenge. Its really not that hard to do. I shoot them because they require discipline on all levels. First you have to be in a reasonable amount of shape to shoot one. It takes different muscles to shoot a traditional bow than it does to shoot a compound. Second is a sort of mental shape that a person must be in to shoot a traditional bow. If you have other things going through your mind when it comes time to take a shot, you are going to be just about as inaccurate as anyone out there. The amount of focus and concentration that go into each shot far exceeds any compound shot. (even those competitive shooters). Next is the discipline to practice and practice properly. Again you may not agree with what im about to say, but so be it. Any body can shoot a compound bow and shoot it accurately enough to kill a deer. You dont really have to practice with it. You get it sighted in and tuned one or two days at the shop and you can hit what you are aiming at now. The peep and front sights make sure everything is inline, your release makes sure the release is the same everytime, and the only manual part you have to shooting a compound is pulling it back and holding your bow arm still when you pull the trigger. Seems like anybody could do it if you ask me. With traditional gear each practice can be completely different. There are much different techniquies and there is no aiming, you look at what you want to hit concentrate on it as hard as you can, hit your anchor and get a good clean release from your fingers. Nothing in there is mechanical its all a manual process.
    The discipline of hunting with a traditional bow falls along the same lines as practicing with one. You have to be a woodsman, you have to "know" the animals you are hunting. 20 yards isnt a chip shot like it is with a compound. Get them inside ten and you are still not 100% sure. It takes discipline to do everything manually right when the pressure is on.

I hunt and shoot with traditional bows because its more fun. If i shoot an arrow 6 inches high its because I screwed something up not because my pin got bumped. I dont have to break out the allen wrenches and make adjustments. I just gotta concentrate a little harder and be more disciplined as to what im doing. I have hunted with compounds and enjoyed shooting them with my dad, but we are seriously having more fun with the simpler equipment than we ever have together. Ive shot deer with compounds, its impersonal it has no feeling, yeah sure i got as excited as the next guy and without something to compare it too you guys are going to be going crazy over that last line. THe fact is until you do kill a deer with a traditional bow than you really cant argue that.
    If you never try it then you are missing out. Its really not that hard. DEC you should seriously try it. Scott you should spend a summer and try it. It will be frustrating at first but when you get the hang of it it becomes far more rewarding than the compound. I hope that clarifies things.

I dont use technology to make my hunts easier. I use the trail cameras to enrich my outdoor experience and the camo becaue thats what ive always used. I have no problem hunting from stands as I'm sure thats how its always been. Im sure the indians hunted above the ground at times perched up in a tree. I just dont use technology to make my hunts easier, thats the bottom line. I hope i didnt offend anyone, I really wasnt trying to and I am not implying that killing a deer with a compound is easy, its not, but in the scheme of things its far easier than killing one with a compound and it takes far less discipline to do it as well.

4. Well I quess I am not one of the old boys. I going to be hunting with a crossbow and if you go back in time to England and the nights used crossbows, so does that count. The cams tell me the time the deer are going by and I get a picture of what buck is there and that still don't mean you are going to get that deer. Before they used to use strings to tell when deer went by. Hey big boy I will be over to spray you windows black, due to you can sat in your livingroom and watch the deer and where to hunt you don't need a cam. So when will be a good time to paint them.

5. NO Paint Tuck!

I've tried to shoot a recurve accurately. It is too hard and takes too much discipline. I'll stick with my Mathews and the good old 80% let off.;)

6. yeah well you wont be shooting it cause you sissied out and sent into the shop. Ill be at the shoot this weekend Im bringing an extra bow with me just in case anyone wants to give them a shot. They are hard but at the sametime with the right amount of time and practice it becomes second nature. Scott Ill give you some lessons when we are done on the course hopefully youll be open to giving them a shot. Ill see you guys there. Except for you Eric you sally.... id be afraid too.

7. Thanks for the honest answers.

I won't be at the shoot and I'm a lefty anyway.

My dad never bow hunted, but I showed an interest at about 13. He had an old recurve with wooden arrows and I shot it for 2 or 3 summers, but never hunted with it. It was a right handed bow, but I made it work left handed and rested the arrow on the top of the grip. At 16 dad bought me a compound and I shot instinctive for the first year of hunting. Bought a new compound when I went to college and added sights then because I didn't have as much time to shoot.

I say all this so you know that I have atleast sampled what you are talking about and understand what you mean. I only made the post because personally I have had trouble accepting the trail camera in my own mind as a legal aid. Didn't have that opion until I read all the articles on the Louvensten buck from Iowa. Something about all those pictures and when and where in that article really turned me off to ever getting one.

8. Sounds like you are Traditional Bow Shooter not a Traditional Hunter.....just my thoughts

9. I'm thinking about going traditional next year. Tred Barta shoots everythang with his long bow. Any body watches his show?

10. Tred Barta is a piece of cow waste. If you get my drift. That guys is full of it. I watched one of his shows he was taking something like 75 yard shots at Caribou cause he said he practiced at that range. He also did a show on how to make flint tipped arrows. BS i know who made those arrows step by step for him. He just held them up in the right stage. He isnt that good of a shot and the grizzly bear he shot was a baby. He thinks he is a hard ass because he shoots a longbow. He boasts about his homemade cedar arrows. BS again if you go to three rivers archery webpage you can find the arrows he shoots. They are ThreeRivers Hunters Arrows. Thats all they are. They are made at ThreeRivers by a guy that stains them crests them and dips them then he tapers them sticks a nock on them and fletches them all in house. Tred Barta doesnt make those arrows. The only thing he does is make himself look like a douche bag.

I might be a traditional bow shooter, there might not be too many traditional hunters around anymore? Not sure what that means. The traditional way of hunting is to take immoral shots at animals because we didnt know anybetter. The traditional way of hunting was to use a rifle or shotgun before the invention of the compound. The traditional way of hunting was nothing like any of us do it today. In the 50's hunting was a whole lot different than it is now. Traditional hunting back in the day meant zero game laws, if there were laws they didnt hold much water. Traditionally people have been using camoflauge for centuries, and as far back as I can recall people have been climbing trees. The indians used hides for camoflauge. Hell howard hill shot game from a tree in Africa. Traditional hunting? Very vague term. Im not trying to jump down your throat on that comment. Just explain to me what you think traditional hunting is? I hunt with a traditional bow under what i believe to be traditional circumstances. I dont claim to be a perfectionist, you dont see me running around in buckskin outfits sleeping in a tipi, but i do consider myself a traditional bow hunter. Its your call brewer, Ive never had any beef with ya and I dont intend over that comment and i hope you dont take offense to what I just said. Just tell me what traditional hunting is?

Scott. It might not have been as fun shooting that bow by yourself trying to teach yourself when you were a kid. I would suggest giving it another go round. It might bring back some good memories of when you were young. (Im not saying you are old) I started out with an old fred bear fiberglass longbow. What a piece of **** that thing was. My dad bought me some youth wooden arrows to shoot out of it. He used to work at a foam producing factory and we would get these huge round foam targets and we would roll it out of our garage and shoot at it. He would shoot his three arrows then we would go to about 5 yards and Id shoot mine. On days he wasnt home id sneak out in the hayfield behind the house and see how far I could shoot the arrows into the air. He used to get pissed when he would catch me doing it. I lost a lot of arrows in that hayfield. When we were done shooting we would use the foam as a wrestling mat and just have a ball. I guess taking the compound and putting it away and bringing out the "original" stuff makes everything fall into perspective. I owe a lot to him and I think I repayed a little bit of the debt by getting him back into traditional archery. Give it a shot again you might be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2006
  11. woooo!!! TADITIONAL, TAKE A BREATHER.MAN I DIDN'T MEAN TO GET YOU ALL WORKED UP BY BRINGIN UP TRED BARTA. THE ONLY REASON I BROUGHT HIM UP WAS BECAUSE HE IS THE ONLY PERSON I HAVE SEEN ON TV THAT HUNTS CRITTERS WITH TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTING EQUIPMENT. BY THAT I AM REFERRING TO THE RECURVE AND THE LONG BOW, NOT THE COMPOUND BOW. I HAVEN'T SEEN THE EPISODE WHERE YOU SAID THAT HE WAS TAKING 75YRDS SHOTS AT CARIBOU, TO ME THAT IS UNETHICAL. I KEEP MY SHOTS 20YRDS OR LESS. I'D HAVE DISAGREE WITH YOU ON THE DEFINITION OF TRADITIONAL HUNTING. TRADITIONAL HUNTING, IN MY OPINION, IS WITH A FLINTLOCK, PERCUSSION CAP MUZZLELOADER, OR WITH THE RECURVE AND LONG BOW. HUNTING YOUR QUARRY AT GROUND LEVEL.

12. eh, I never did see the infamous caribou episode. I never liked the waterfowl episodes. There are a couple I did like though like elk. I dunno, at first I liked Tred and thoght it was neat, but I got burnt out on it quick. For some reason it just got boring.

Anyway, I shoot recurve and longbow. I use cedar arrows, but have tried carbon and they shoot well, but I still like the cedar and birch. Like TB said, they get expensive so I might eventually switch to carbons only like I shoot in my compound. I truely enjoy shooting the recurve and longbow. I liked to shoot the compound too, but to me it's more fun to do the other. I don't use luminocks, but think they'd be pretty neat if I ever did go back to hunting with carbons. The reason I switched is because it's more fun to shoot and it's more of a challenge for me. It's just more enjoyable lol, currently. I always end up switching things around when I get bored.

13. i saw that episode with tred and the carabue and i kept thinking when the heck is he going to hit somethin. or cripple it. he must have took 50 shots it was rediculious. that was enough for me.

14. Traditional, Werstler IS old......(Hey wait, he's the same age as me)!!! Actually the real old man on here is treehugger!!!!!:hide:

15. Some people call it old...I like to think of it as experience!!! :cheeky-sm

I didn't care for Tred at first but then he grew on me....you gotta' love his passion for what he does...or at least he portrays it that way.