close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

tree rats

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by buckmaster, Nov 9, 2006.

1. anybody sick and tired of all the damn tree rats. u cant never even hear the deer.i got busted by five does the night my buddy killed a deer that unoffocially scored 138.

2. yea i get sick of them but i also like to watchem when they get close. i've seen 4 that in this one stand that must have been litter mates. they all have a red patch on their back and they are grey squirrels. what i really hate to see around me is turkeys. especially hens. they are so vocal if they spot you. i got busted by a hen reaching for my bow that i didn't see because there was a big doe about 50 yrds coming towards me. well the hen started putting real loud and the doe took off. meanwhile the hen just kept it up for another 3 minutes before she finally left. they've messed me up twice this yr. i'm convinced a turkey will bust you in a tree alot quicker than if your on the ground.

3. I got even with one a few nights ago.......for some reason we have been getting more and more black ones in our woods. The black ones aren't as "meaty" as the brown ones we have running around.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2006
  4. When a squirrel spots me and starts to climb up the tree to bark and freak out I get proactive about the situation. Last two times that has happened, no deer were around, so I grabbed a limb near the squirrel and shook it violently. Both times the squirrel freaked and jumped 15 feet out the tree and ran off, problem solved.

5. I know what you're saying,but I was in Squirrel mania for the last 4 days. Trust me, Kansas has waaaaaaaaay more squirrels than we do. Go to Kansas and then Indiana will seem "tree rat" free. There were like 4 or 5 different varieties out there ( fox, "baby" fox, black, gray, etc. etc. etc.)....all of them noisy as all get out. They were literally everywhere, and it was so wild where I was that I walked right up on them and they didn't spook from me. I literally walked right up to a "baby" fox (they were like Mini Me fox squirrels) and he let me get right up to him. I'm bettin' I might have been able to catch him if I wanted to. I was thinking to myself that I couldn't wait to get back to Indiana and experience quiet squirrels.

6. those rats are annoying...did my part to reduce the population...after a morning hunt last week while doing a little scouting...one of those rats got a little to close to my spitfire...

7. My nephew and I try to go out in Aug. and Sept to thin a few out before deer season kicks off...helps a little. My oldest daughter loves to hunt squirrel, been many fun afternoons with her putting a few in the freezer.

8. I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN, THEY CAN GET ANNOYING AT TIMES, BUT I WILL SAY AT TIMES WHEN THE DEER ACTION IS SLOW, THEY CAN BE FUN TO WATCH AND HELP BREAK THE MONOTONY. PLUS THERE`S ALWAYS THAT INITIAL HOPE THAT A DISTANT SQUIRREL SOUND, JUST MIGHT BE A DEER.

AFTER DEER SEASON, I ALWAYS ENJOY SITTING IN MY STANDS WITH MY .22 AND SNIPING THEM OFF. IT`S GOOD SHOOTING PRACTICE.