close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tree Stand Harness

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by hunter47331, Jul 19, 2007.

1. cjones said in another thread... "tangled in my harness"

Ain't that the truth. I'm not against wearing one, but am against wearing a knot that limits my shots behind the tree.

How many of you guys pass on the harness...??? (I know... you guys are going to rip me like my wife & chiropracter do)... :bash:

2. I would rather be somewhat limited in my harness than permenantly maimed or killed due to a fall! Nearly 50% of all falls over 12 feet in height end fatally!

3. i always wear one a ,if i cant get a shot because of it there is always the next time , if you take a header from 20 ft. there might not be a next time, not worth the risk, be safe always were it!!!!!

4. Experiment with a few different kinds, and find one that is most comfortable for you....butALWAYS wear one. Imagine life WITHOUT being able to hunt.
    I just bought a Hunter's safety system, and can't wait to use it this fall.
    If the Mrs. starts to complain about the price, be a smart azz and "apologize for your life not being worth $100+ dollars". :irked:

5. I dont wear one either hunter. Maybe its not the smartest thing I do, but I don't wear a harness when im working on a roof, or a ladder or anything else.

6. i wear it everytime i'm in a tree...
    but i'm a little bit scared of heights too. i'd probably wear it if i had to sleep on the top bunk

7. OK, here goes ... every year I preach this, time to start this year.
    WEAR A HARNESS! If not for you, then wear it for your loved ones ... please!

I am a voice of experience on this. Many years ago, I never wore one. Then when my oldest daughter was born, I got thinking how it would suck if her daddy could never run in the yard with her because he was in a wheel chair from falling from a tree, or worse yet her daddy is 6' under. So, I started wearing one, cussing that thing every time I fought to put it on. I started wearing a cheap one that came with a stand, better than nothing. Then about 4 or 5 years ago, I invested around $75 in a Summit SOP harness. Once I figured out how to take it on and off right, my tangling problems were a thing of the past. Then it happened! Night of the deer opener in 2005. I was in my climber on a small slick barked tree, a tree I knew better than to climb. A doe came walking through and I leaned out to take the 10 yard chip shot. When the gun when off, the recoil and my leaning caused the bottom of the stand to twist just slightly and down I went. I watched the deer run off as I was falling (blood pumping out of her!), my gun went flying, and faster than I could react, I was dangling about 15' off the ground. The SOP harness possibly saved my life that day. The very next weekend we were to leave for a family vacation to Disney World. All that ran through my mind after the fall was the heart break in my kids, if Dad had to go in a wheel chair with a broken leg, or couldn't go because he was in a hospital bed, or they couldn't go because they were attending my FUNERAL.

When I fell it happened so fast there was no time to react. I read all the time guys posting up on websites how they'd catch themselves and roll out of it. Whatever Superman!:coco: B.S. You fall from 20', you're going to be one lucky S.O.B. if you walk away un-hurt. You CAN NOT react fast enough, trust me.

Buy a harness, wear a harness, use the harness. Use it from the time you leave the ground until you return to the ground. I mean use a climbing rope system that you clip on at the ground level. If you need advise on this, let me know.

Harnesses are just like seat belts. They are a pain to use at first, but after you get used to wearing one you feel naked without it.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE WEAR A HARNESS AT ALL TIMES!

I don't care what brand, just wear one! I will at any time answer anyone's questions about harnesses, how to tie off in a tree, or how to get up and down the tree efficiently while being tied off 100% of the time.

8. if you wear a harness from the time you go up and on the way down you'll live to hunt another day. :bowdown: .............. to hunter safety systems.

9. I cannot agree more with the WEAR A HARNESS.

If you ever have the misfortune to have to go look for a friend that did not show up after an evening hunt and find him the next day dead at the base of his tree it will keep you out of trees , never mind wearing a harness.

10. seat-of-the pants harness works for me. as much as I am 20 feet off the ground it hasn't happened yet, but close a few times. I hunt almost exclusively out of my lone wolf climber, so I am constantly attached to the tree in my harness.

11. Very true. If I ever forget mine, I'm a nervous wreck up there in the stand!

12. THERE WAS A TIME WHEN I FIRST STARTED BOWHUNTING BACK IN THE 80`S THAT I TOO DID NOT WEAR A HARNESS. BOY , WAS I DUMB AND LUCKY. THE TREESTANDS BACK THEN WERE QUESTIONABLE AT BEST, ANYBODY REMEMBER THE OLD BAKER MODEL. I HAD ONE OF THOSE AND A TSS CLIMBER THAT HAD A PLYWOOD PLATFORM. I USED CLIMB AND SIT IN A TREE FOR HOURS IN THOSE STANDS WITHOUT A HARNESS. I WAS VERY LUCKY NOTHING EVER HAPPENED.

SINCE MY ENLIGHTNMENT, I HAVE TRIED SEVERAL MODELS OVER THE YEARS AND HAVE FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS NOW SETTLED ON THE HUNTERS SAFETY SYSTEM. I LIKE THE EASE AND SYMPLICITY OF THE VEST ENCLOSED SYSTEM. NO RESTRICTIONS ARE PERCIEVED TO ME. I FEEL VERY SECURE AND WOULD NOT CONSIDER GOING UP A TREE WITHOUT IT. SPEND THE MONEY, GET A GOOD HARNESS AND USE IT, DO IT FOR YOUR LOVED ONES.

13. Anybody tried the new safety vests? Are they as comfortable as they say? I know they are $$$$
    Brich, I had one of those old Baker's break down on me while in it, and I was lucky, I was able to keep my balance while sliding down the tree till it caught at about six feet off the ground!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2007
  14. I wear a hunters safety system, however I dont have a climbing rope attachment. I know I know.... that most accidents happen getting in and out of the stand. It has ran through my thoughts several times. I just looked into getting a fall arrest system. To be honest though, the HSS is the best belt out there. They are by far the easiest to put on and take off and they work. I tested mine from about five feet up just to see how it might feel to get hung up there. If its not adjusted right it will feel like it is squeezing the piss out of your junk, but once you get it adjusted its the cats meow.
    My dad always said, there are things in life that bounce and you are not one of them, put your belt on. Been wearing it ever since.

15. Trust me there is no buck worth the pain of falling and breaking your back. I fell a few years ago climbing into my stand and broke my back.I hurt all the time now.I cant stand for any amount of time nor can I sit for any amount of time. It is not worth it,trust me. Then your going to say it wont happen to me. I also thought that but accidents do happen. I was lucky to just break my back others have not been so lucky.