close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tri-County FWA Pheasants

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by Jeffro, Oct 10, 2005.

1. I am taking off work for the pheasant opener this year and will hit one of the local (NW IN) FWAs. I heard that Tri-County has some nice grounds and holds some birds. Any truth or am I better off chancing Willow Slough or Winnamac? I've hunted the Put-n-Take at the Slough before but have never been to Tri-County or Winnamac. Thanks for your input.

Good hunting...
    Jeffro

2. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

I'm hunting Mongo for two days then Tri County for two days. You'll like Tri County. It's less conjested than Mongo. It seems like you have more land to yourself and don't run into many hunters. The property is well maintained.

3. I like the slough and tri county the best, Winimac ok too

4. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Winimac brings up some fond memories...couple of years a ago a buddy and I went there quail hunting...that's when my dog pointed her first.......turkey. Yep, it was on the ground...she pointed...I walked in and this bus took off. Neither of us knew what to think.

Did get into some quail that day. Had a good time.

5. Cavacini-

There is a decent amount of wild quail left in and around Winimac, we used to really bang em over there. Lots of Fun

They are tasty little birds & fun to hunt

6. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Thanks, we'll probably get back over there to try to hunt the quail again.

Cary

7. Carey-

You Had some nice teams at Homestead- I Coach at Garrett High School.

I live with Chad Hollenbaugh, he is From CC too, He is our D-Coordinator.

Good Luck at Winimac

Hey you ever duck hunt Robinson Lake? I was wondering about the water levels and if ther were any birds over there this year?

Thanks

Zach

8. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

9. I know Frog Very well, I have hunted with him up on his property several times along with Jim Slain. I always seem to be pulling frog's tractor out of the muck.

How old is the Britt?

10. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Yeh, Frog's got the best set up I've ever seen for fishing and hunting. Lots of birds, and he does things right.

My Brittany is 6 and a pretty good dog....I've got a pup coming sometime out of Storm Lake, Iowa (seems like I picked the breeder farthest away from Indiana). He's having litters from four of his dogs, so I'll get another female. I'll want one as close to summer vacation as possible so I can spent a lot of time with her.

11. I hunt GSP's. I grew up with them and have stayed with the breed. One of the guys I hunt with a lot has a brittney, they work very close and are hard hunters. You go west at all? We head to Iowa a couple times a year, lots of fun.

12. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Last year we went to the Spencer, Iowa area (far northwest) over our Christmas break. It's supposed to be the best hunting...hunted mostly public land...(there's a lot and it's good). One of the guys bought a pointing lab from a guy out there and we hunted on some private land with him. Colder than heck...but the last day, there was a snow storm...and boy did the birds hold...I got two within 10 minutes.

13. We never have much luck on Public ground, Did you guys hunt any certain cover? There is usually so much ground its hard to figure out where to go? Course maybe the weather was helping you out too. maybe it's different that far north west, what is the public hunting area called??

We don't go that far west, stay mostly in east Central Iowa, This will be my 8th year and love every day of it. We just Knock on Doors and hop around, its frustrating some days when you are under 50% for permission.

14. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

When we talked to the DNR people, they told us to hunt ditches and wet areas on public land. They told us to bring waders (we didn't) to get into the wet areas...when we were there, it was frozen over...hard walking, but the birds were there....a lot of them flushed wild. Hunted a lot of ditches....all were open water (had to pull my dog out a couple of times by her collar). I thought there were a lot of birds, but it's so far away....at least 12 hours.

I'm not sure we'll go back this year or move up our quail hunting trip to Christmas break.

Can't remember the names of the public lands we hunted...I'll try to find out, but they were all pretty close to Spencer.

Cary

15. Thats some interesting info, if you find the names of the public areas that would be great. Thanks

What state do you quail hunt in,

I still go over to Willow Slough and hunt Quail, there are a few covies over there if you are willing to work for em.