close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Turkey frustration

Discussion in 'Indiana Turkey Hunting' started by Ridge Runner, May 4, 2007.

1. This is only my third year of turkey hunting. I was looking for advice on how to hunt turkeys in big woods when they a not gobbling

2. If you know that they are there, or have been in the past, set up and start calling every 20 to 30 min. Sit for 2 to 3 hours and if nothing, go set up in a different spot.

3. Do you know where they roost? Do you know where they dust and feed? Sometimes you gotta hunt them like deer. You might have to take a likely stand, then let them come to you.

4. Good advice. When all else fails, go to where you've seen them before, and wait them out. It isn't as exciting, but it gets the job done sometimes.

5. Lesson I learned today. Always keep your eyes peeled. This morning I never heard a gobble. I was in a fence row watching and calling 4 turkeys 100 yds out in the field. After about 20-30 minutes of calling I happened to look behind me and there stood 3 toms and 2 jakes. The closest one was about 7 or 8 yards away. I was so concerned with the turkeys in the field I never saw them coming.

6. North and South of I-70

I was just wondering if more turkeys are being harvested north of I-70 or south of I-70. Myself I hunt south of I-70 and not evevn hear a gobble this morning. But you can bet I will keep trying.

7. just got back from patoka lk, no turkeys talking at all , rain every day, only time i heard anything was when the thunder made them sound off, not answering calls at all, bass were biting great that part was fun overall still a good trip!!!!!

8. No, there is a certian bird I'm lookin for and I didn't know which one he was. By the time I figured it out they were out of range. Plus there is one around that is missing half of his tail fan and I don't want to shoot that one this year.

9. B&M if you go to the INDIANA DNR website you can look up harvest records from previous years. It shows the number of birds per county taken, and the southern counties blow the northern counties out of the water. I would expect the same for this year.

10. what indylandon said is the best advise i could give you rr. we had the same trouble this weekend. after fly down they just shut up.

11. That's 'cause we don't have any turkeys up here in the north.

12. ANOTHER DISAPOINTING WEEKEND, I HEARD SEVERAL GOBBLE ON THE ROOST EARLY, BUT AFTER THE FLYDOWN, THEY SHUT UP. I WALKED AND CALLED FOR ANOTHER COUPLE HOURS, NO RESPONSE. THIS HAS BEEN A REALLY WIERD YEAR FOR TURKEYS, THEY JUST DO NOT SEEM TO BE AGRESSIVE TOWARD MY CALLING AS THEY HAVE IN PAST YEARS. I THINK THE "RUT" IS OVER.