close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Turkey Harvest

Discussion in 'Indiana Turkey Hunting' started by BREWERSVILLE OUTFITTERS, Aug 3, 2006.

1. The 2006 spring turkey season has set a new harvest record According to final numbers from the INDR,hunters bagged a record 13,193 turkeys.This represents an 18 percent increase over 2005. Hunter success rate was estimated at 26 percent among the approximately 51,000 hunters....One interesting statistic was the fact that 1year old "Jakes" made up oniy 14 percent of the harvest instead of the usual 25 percent in previous years while 2-year old birds made up 67 percent of the take...Hunters should see excellant numbers of trophy long-beard 3-year old birds in 2007.....Gobble....Gobble !!!!! ......story in the Hendricks County Flyer.

2. I WAS FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO BE ONE OF THOSE 13,193 AND I AM THANKFUL. APPARENTLY THE ADDITION OF THE NEW FALL SEASON HAS HAD LITTLE TO NO EFFECT ON THE BIRD NUMBERS. I LOOK FORWARD TO THE FALL SEASON AND NEXT SPRING.

3. yaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooo. i love it.

4. I heard next year could be a down year because there were few Jakes this season...Is this true? If the Jake harvest was down that tells me there were less Jakes out there possibly. But heck what do I know I've never killed a turkey.

5. jakes

Just saw last weekend some young turkeys together (10-12) that were big enough to fly (clumsily). Kinda cute. I think that the numbers will be strong again next spring, unless hunters start being more successful in the fall, which is doubtful. Hey, shut up, Randy, what do you know?

Eric

6. Yeah, What he said......Rannnddaaalllll!!!!!!! When it comes to Muskies and Turkeys...well, you know..........

"The Boss"? Different story...Got any new photos???

7. Turkeys

Everybody I have talked to this summer is seeing lots of young birds. The hatch must have been good again this year. Pretty soon we will be covered up in turkeys. That's not a bad situation to be in!

Randy, the harvest numbers of 2 year old birds at least tells me there were a lot of that age group, and they are the most vocal anyway. Certainly draw a lot of attention to themselves. Cluck...cluck...gobble...gobble...BANG

Man, I love turkey hunting. I like it better than deer hunting.

8. Just saw 4 birds Tuesday by the railroad tracks. I hope they will let us hunt soon on the south side of HWY30

9. How about muskies? Ever get a muskie????:evilsmile

10. I was fortunate as well to harvest a nice 3 year old this year. Im glad to see the percentage of jakes was down. Id didnt think the jakes population was down this year. I saw quite a few. Oh dont ya love hunting those turkeys. Nothing better that I can think of. But then again Im a turkey hunting fool. Ive been hunting them since day 1 here in Indiana...

11. FireLt72

FireLt72 Staff Member Mod

Didn't get one this past season, but come spring I'll be out chasing ol' long beard again. Maybe I'll run acrossed a real friendly one that want to "get in my belly"!!!