close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Turkey scouting

Discussion in 'Indiana Turkey Hunting' started by Duckmaster1, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Well, me and the boys went out yesterday scouting for turkeys,it was very cold down here in south western Indiana, so it must have been real cold up in the northern part of the state.
    We did not hear any, see any or find any signs of turkeys in the public areas around Evansville.
    Me and my son Hunter are still trying to bag our first turkey, we have been going out for the last 3 years with no luck.
    Anyone have any suggestions on how to hunt turkeys on public land, what we need to look for, or how we should hunt them. We had one last year that was probably within 100 yds. of us, could not get him to come in and got quiet on us. hunted 2 days straight with no luck, we did hear a shot in the same direction that the turkey was calling from.
    But we had several guys come in on us.
    Any help on how to hunt these birds on public land would be great .
    Thanks
    :banghead3

2. FireLt72

FireLt72 Staff Member Mod

I am not sure that I am great help, but I'll try, my thrid season this year too, turkey-less also. What I have found on public land is walk and walk and then walk a bit more. When you have gone as far as you think you need to go, go a bit farther. Roost the night before, now this doesn't guarentee a bird, but it gets you closer. I had three bird opening day very close in the HNF in Brown County, I blew two of the three my own self. The middle bird was within twenty yards, but sat just under a ridge and wouldn't commit to me the extra 5 feet to actuallt see him. I spooked the other two. What area are you hunting? Do you have topo maps? How crowded is it? I am hopingh to get my first bird this year and think I will (wouldn't be going if I didn't think it LOL) but it is all a learning curve. I am self taught and have had some great guest instructors, but mostly me and the dvds I can get. That is the best advice I actually have. If I can help you any more let me know. I would also reccommend one other thing, are you a member of the NWTF? Call the district contact down there and see if you can get some help. Can't hurt. Our Distric guy, Travis is very good and willing to go out and help where he can. One more thing, call your local fire department and see if one of their guys hunts, you will find that they will be willing to help, in most cases and espcially if you are with young person (your son).

3. I always try to roost birds the night before Im gonna hunt them. Public land is tough. Depends on how many hunters and mushroon hunters are in the woods stirring them up. When I find where they roost I will look for fly down areas. Any openings are great. I will make sure Im there super early when Im hunting them to get the jump on all the other hunters. You must have patience as well.

4. FireLt72

FireLt72 Staff Member Mod

Absolutly. I am no expert, hope to be one day,lol, but I have a lot of fun. Actually where I go there isn't too much turkey pressure, I have never run into someone in the woods. I have actually run into someone entering. I went the opposite way. I am working on private land this year hard, but it isn't looking real great yet. I hope you all get one this year.

5. I've been hunting public land in Brookville, IN for the last 6 years. There used to be more hunting pressure than there is now, but the birds are still very much call-shy. The best advice I can give is find a place where you've noticed they've been scratching around. Mostly look on top of ridges and open flats. If you kind find a place like that or a place you notice consistent gobbling set up there and wait them out. They're going to that place and scratching around for a reason. A lot of times these are strutting ridges. If the birds don't come there right away in the morning then give a few calls every now and again and wait them out. They'll come back to that spot once they're done with any hens that were with them. Trust me, my dad grandpa and myself have been doing this for awhile and it works, especially on public land. My grandpa has killed a turkey the last 10 years in a row doing this and most of the time it's around 10 a.m. That's the best advice I can give you about public land other than call softly and be patient.

6. Check out a farm in Knox but don't think it worth hunting it. :(

7. I hunt public land around the Brookville Lake too. There are lots of turkey, but it seems there are about 3 times that many people. The advice to walk and walk and walk some more will probably be the most productive thing you could do. Turkeys are call shy after about the first day, since their are scouters in the woods for a month prior. We had two "killable" birds last year and screwed up our own opportunities. Now that we're more educated, hopefully we can pull off the feat.

Another piece of advice... although I'm trying it out for myself for the first time this year. Hunt from a pop-up blind. It will keep you from getting busted. For whatever reason, the turkeys are not nervous about them. Meijer has some steals right now... $30-40... depending on what type you want. They're on clearance in Richmond because they're "deer blinds".

8. What area of Brookville do you hunt?

9. Being from Connersville, I primarily hunt the north end of the lake. However, I think there are more turkeys the further south you get. I've scouted a lot of new territory this year, down on the south end of the lake. You always have to have a back up plan though. Hanna Creek and the Farifield area are good places to go, but you're going to see a million other people.

10. I TOO WAS OUT THIS PAST WEEKEND AND FOUND THE WOODS VERY QUIET, NOT A SINGLE GOBBLE. THIS IS UNUSUAL FOR THE AREA WHERE I WAS. I`M GUESSING THE COLD WAS THE REASON.

I DON`T KNOW THE PUBLIC GROUND AROUND YOUR AREA VERY WELL, MY HUNTING IS NONE NORTH OF YOU IN MARTIN COUNTY. BUT I WOULD ADVISE YOU TO GET IN EARLY AND BE MOBILE. TRY TO BE OUT ON OPENING DAY, IF YOU WAIT UNTIL THE WEEKEND THE BIRDS MAY BE SHY. THE FUN THING ABOUT TURKEY HUNTING IS THAT THEY WILL TELL YOU WHERE THEY ARE, JUST LISTEN AND MOVE, IF YOU NEED TO.

KEEP TRYING, SOONER OR LATER YOU WILL GET LUCKY AND STUMBLE ON A BIRD THAT LIKES YOUR CALLING.

11. Go the first couple of days of season!!;)